PDA

View Full Version : Boca Grande phosphate docks advice

loOse1
05-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Going to Charlotte Harbor this weekend. I usually go in the winter and spring and load up on sheepshead and snapper at the docks and am hoping to do the same tomorrow. Several folks have told me that's a bad idea this time of year due to big sharks following tarpon, but then people who don't spearfish always say that about sharks when I tell them I spearfish. I am somewhat used to sharks, although I'll freely admit to not being comfortable spearing around them, I have had several encounters out of Jupiter and the Keys. Anyone dive the phosphate docks this time of year?

Thanks,
Adam

Pirate Dave
05-31-2008, 03:31 PM
get a bow and try bow fishing them

its bloody fun

goldenpheasant
05-31-2008, 04:31 PM
The local scuba club called off it's annual clean up of Boca Grande pass because of the large number of large sharks. As they say............stupid is as stupid does.........

SEATUX
05-31-2008, 04:52 PM
The local scuba club called off it's annual clean up of Boca Grande pass because of the large number of large sharks. As they say............stupid is as stupid does.........

And that was some time ago, the sharks got here early this year (Bulls and Hammerheads). If you dive (and make it back) be sure to post an update.

AristaKat
05-31-2008, 07:05 PM
I grew up around here and YES I spearfish BUT I would not be around docks this time of year watch currents and most of all shark city!!!!!!! Good luck as well..... Also I THINK ITS ILLEGAL to spearfish there.

Jamie

loOse1
05-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the replies, If the vis is reasonable I'll hop in and take a look. Aristikat, I'm pretty sure the docks are fair game because its not connected to land, I've speared there a few times, seen FWC, never had a problem. Are saying you wouldn't try the docks this time of year due to sharks?

MADMAX
06-01-2008, 07:20 AM
I also beleive it it not legal to spearfish there. We used to get big jewfish there, but we did not dive this time of year.
Mad Max

goldenpheasant
06-01-2008, 07:42 AM
" Are saying you wouldn't try the docks this time of year due to sharks?"

:conehead:

SEATUX
06-01-2008, 12:29 PM
I believe its illegal to spear in Charlotte county, and thats where the Harbor lies. I dont know that its enforced. This has been discussed before on this board, do a search.

loOse1
06-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Well, the water was pea soup yesterday, couldn't see 2'. There were also at least 200 tarpon fishermen swarming the area, what a zoo! I did make $40 towing some guy who ran out of gas from the marina to the a tarpon tourney, like 1/2 mile. Sure is a different place in the summer. Hook and lined a couple of big sharks in the pass, don't know what species, they just dragged the 22' foot boat around for a while and broke off. I think I'll leave the spearfishing gear at home next time, the boat traffic was more troublesome than the sharks.

stevemc1
06-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Boca Grande is in Lee County. But the railraod trestle near the bridge coming over to BG, is in Charlotte and illegal there. Now is it illegal to spearfish in Lee County State waters or is it Collier County? And yes, there are a lot of sharks at the old pier site. The square area of posts always holds sheepshead, but there are still are sharks.

DeepObsession
06-03-2008, 04:47 PM
It's Collier County where it is illegal to spear in State waters. http://myfwc.com/marine/spearing.htm

I do not know of any regulations prohibiting spearfishing in Charlotte waters, have done it numerous times for customers diving the artificials there.

ReefGuy
06-04-2008, 07:16 AM
It's Collier County where it is illegal to spear in State waters. http://myfwc.com/marine/spearing.htm

I do not know of any regulations prohibiting spearfishing in Charlotte waters, have done it numerous times for customers diving the artificials there.

It is illegal to spearfish in Charlotte County waters (statute: 057.1218), and yes it is enforced.

Phosphate docks, though, are Lee County.

AristaKat
06-04-2008, 07:20 AM
I was waiting for reefguy to chime in he posted same info a year or so back, trust me he knows as you can see he even posted statue :)

BIG WOOD25
06-04-2008, 07:55 PM
there is a law on spearing at the docks. i'm not too sure on it but it was all over spearboard last season. someone was nice enough to post up the regs. besides, if you do go, be sure to bring about 9 knives with you to cut all the hooks and fishing line off you, you will probably be the first one that makes weigh in at the PTTS.