PDA

View Full Version : Who has the most powerful band?

ocean_314
06-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi,

I am using a 6' 3 prong in the Northern California area for rockfish and ling cod. I hit the lings and then pin them to the bottom sliding my hand down the shaft grabbing the prongs that go through the fish. I am very successful doing this and having lots of fun.
I am wondering what is the best band that will give me the most power
in my shots. I am jsut using one i get from my local dive shop. I do lift weights reguarly so i am pretty strong. The bands i have been using are very easy to pull for me.

sciencemike
06-02-2008, 04:11 PM
You can do like some of us and double the bands up. Or just go buy some speargun bands and make your own bands. You can make polespears hit like a freight train, or scream like a bullet. IMO i wouldnt even mess with the jbl bands or such unless you are gonna use two of them. But for rock and lings you probably dont need much punch itll just bend your 3 pronger.

azspearo
06-02-2008, 06:50 PM
I run my personal spears at 60 lbs of force at 300% of stretch using 1/2" od x1/4"id tubing.
I know a guy who uses 5/8" x 3/8" tubing for a draw weight of 80lbs at 300%.
Average polespear rubber is 3/8" x 3/16" with a draw weight of 300% is at 33lbs.
There are a few things when powering up your polespear that you will want to think about.
Flexy spears regardless of the material they are made out of can't take a lot of force on the spear. To keep them from bending you will have to twist the tubing around the spear from keeping the spear from flexing. I think most of us on here know this.

I have a Sea Horse graphite spear that came with 3/8" x 3/16" tubing after it wore out I rigged it with 3/8" x 1/8" tubing at the same length as the original. It was too powerful for the spear. I had to twist the rubber around the spear 5 times so it wouldn't flex the spear. And when I shot it, it was slower because of the friction from twist the rubber so many times. The spear speed and accuracy was way down and not consistent.
I good sticky grip and a glove glove that is compatible with the grip will help the most in keeping a solid grip on the polespear more then how strong someone is.

ocean_314
06-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys. i never thought of doubling up the bands or using speargun bands. I think i am going to double up first and then if i want more punch i will go to a speargun band.
I wrap my pole spear with duct tape where i grip it and use weightlifting gloves so my figers are exposed, this gives me a great grip and makes it easy to put the fish on the stringer as well as pick up crabs

sciencemike
06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Best thing for grip.

Skateboard griptape, and some nice kevlar gloves to keep your fingers safe from the teeth/claws/lobster tails.

ocean_314
06-05-2008, 09:45 AM
azspearo what kind of pole spear are you using with that 1.2" x 1/4" tubing? I have a flexy spear, whould that be to much force on the spear?

ocean_314
06-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Well i just got done double banding my pole spear and man what a difference. It now takes effort to pull the bands 2/3rds of the way down the spear, when before with one band i would pull the band almost down to the end of the spear with ease.
This should give me the extra punch on impact that i am looking for.
The fish are trembling with fear over my double banded polespear!!!!!!
Thanks guys.

azspearo
06-05-2008, 07:59 PM
The 1/2" x 1/4" rubber is going on the spears I build and spears that can handle the pull weight.

ocean_314
06-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Azspero thanks for the advice on the double bands. I tried it for the first time today and the Blues didnt stand a chance. The impact force was so great that they didnt even wiggle. Blues are 2lb fish and i also hit a 10 lb ling and stopped it cold didnt even have to pin it to the bottom. Thanks again.

azspearo
06-22-2008, 12:22 PM
oceans _314 It was "sciencemike" that suggested to use double bands.
I have tried this out in the past but never really liked it.
On advantage to using double bands is if you break one your back-up is already on the pole.

ocean_314
06-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Oh, thank you sciencemike, doulbe bands are perfect for the north coast.

ocean_314
06-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Oh, thank you sciencemike, double bands are perfect for the north coast.

ocean_314
06-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Oh, thank you sciencemike, double bands are perfect for the north coast.