PDA

View Full Version : New member in AK

AKaustin
06-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Hey all,

my name's austin and I am living up in Juneau Alaska. I grew up here and have lived around the water and boats most of my life. I am reaaaally new to spearfishing and have not yet gotten my cert for scuba, it has been about 10 years in the making and I plan on getting it this fall when the dive shop starts doing lessons again.

anyway I was just looking to get some advice on some things, mostly suit selection. I figure that I'll go with a wet suit because the shop here has dry suits you can rent no problem, and I'll probably go spearing a good deal more than scuba diving just because of convenience and I have a fairly high tolerance for cold water, probably comes from swimming in glacier water at a young age.

I have been scoping out the hammerhead 7mm suit though they seem a little pricey. On the other hand they seem pretty durable and I feel sure that a suit is going to take a beating here. Does anyone have much experience with them? Or can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative that they actually use in cold water?

I was looking at the pinnacle extreme 8/6, but thanks to the power of the search button I found that maybe I would prefer not having a lining in AK.

Has anyone actually been to Juneau who cold recommend some spots for a newb? I joined the alaskafreedivers group on yahoo, but figure it doesn't hurt to ask around. anyway,

thanks

austin

wkyongae
06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Don't know much about AK diving but I think my next suit for free diving is going to be a Harvey's 7mm. The only reason I say this as I too spear a lot and am very hard on wetsuits. Even though there are better suits then the Harvey's for free diving I think if the local scuba shops around Olympia,WA are using them as rentals then they must hold up pretty well. The shops also tell me they are very warm. Right now I use a Triple L 7mm full with attached hood plus extra hood. Front zipper problem, good suit plus very cheap on 4th year. They only make custom suits now.

AKaustin
06-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Cool I'll have to check those out. I am fairly willing to spend around $400 but really not much more. I was also looking at the Spetton 7mm frogman too, but I'll have to keep doing research.

Random
06-16-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm headed up to Juneaux soonish.
I'll give you a PM if i get time to go for a dive. Planning on having a crack at hali's somewhere near there...

pakmat
07-18-2008, 01:01 PM
picasso 9mm commercial. NO zippers.
Any free dive open cell suit 7mm or thicker. again NO zippers.
Drysuit wouldn't work well freediving anyway.