PDA

View Full Version : Spearfishing in seatle area???

Indiana Jones
06-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Hello Pacific Northwest Spearo's

I am going to be in Seattle at the end of June for a wedding. I was thinking about staying around for a few extra days to do some diving. I was curious what the diving conditions would be like in late June early July. Just looking for some general info about the area, to see if I should stay and hang out to try and do some diving. Any info, previous threads, or other websites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nate

http://myspace.com/DrHamHawk

kev the sea dog
06-11-2008, 11:54 PM
I don't know sh!t about that area, wish I had some advive for ya. Out of curiosity, why do you call yourself Indiana Jones? Peace.

Indiana Jones
06-12-2008, 07:20 AM
I live in Indiana, and these Hoosiers don't know anthing about submarine fishing. I feel like Dr Jones exploring the waters by myself, ahahah
I don't know, its funny

snackrifice
06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
I grew up in Seattle. The visibility will be great that time of year (tide dependent of course) and there are lots of cool wrecks and parks to freedive (or dive). However, spearfishing in the sound is so restricted that you really are limited. Cabezon are around, but they taste like a sweatsock slathered in vasoline. You will see lingcod, but in the sound they are closed all but 3 weeks of the year (you will miss those weeks). What is left are small rockfish, of which you can take one a day, and some varieties of flounder. Not a real cornucopia. If you are an avid fisherman, the U/W parks will be torturous as they are filled with huge fish, but closed to fishing. If you head out to the ocean the rules are more open and you can take ling all year round. Plus the rockfish are bigger on the ocean side with a sprinkling of greenling around (which are yummy). Oh, the other thing is that if you are an out of stater, you have to buy an out of state license, which when last I was home was 50 plus bucks for two or three days (may have changed). Hope this helps.

NWnewbie
06-12-2008, 09:57 AM
your close enough to neah bay, just drive over there and get your limit of rock fish and ling, plenty of other spearos inyour area. go to yahoo.com and search groups for bottomsounders

Indiana Jones
06-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Appreciate it fellas all the info very much. That should get me in the right direction. Thanks. And hopefully i can report back with great stories.

Christof
06-21-2008, 01:42 AM
I grew up in Seattle. The visibility will be great that time of year (tide dependent of course) and there are lots of cool wrecks and parks to freedive (or dive). However, spearfishing in the sound is so restricted that you really are limited. Cabezon are around, but they taste like a sweatsock slathered in vasoline. You will see lingcod, but in the sound they are closed all but 3 weeks of the year (you will miss those weeks). What is left are small rockfish, of which you can take one a day, and some varieties of flounder. Not a real cornucopia. If you are an avid fisherman, the U/W parks will be torturous as they are filled with huge fish, but closed to fishing. If you head out to the ocean the rules are more open and you can take ling all year round. Plus the rockfish are bigger on the ocean side with a sprinkling of greenling around (which are yummy). Oh, the other thing is that if you are an out of stater, you have to buy an out of state license, which when last I was home was 50 plus bucks for two or three days (may have changed). Hope this helps.And unless things have gotten worse since I was last there, there are always TONS of perch around any rocky or piling areas... They are good eats, as well as the plentiful but usually small varieties of flatfish... Just have to be careful you dont shoot juvenile Halibut... Pretty easy to get a limit of 14-18 inch flounder though...
I am hoping to be back closer to that area by next spring to shoot in some of my old haunts...