PDA

View Full Version : DIY Polespear grip

kjflyfish
06-17-2008, 03:36 AM
Here is the grip I put on my new Ray Odor polespear. I wanted to get a solid grip, even with thick gloves and this one does the trick.

I used #36 tarred nylon trot line like this:
http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&User_ID=4906341&st=3048&st2=62879401&st3=66008288&Product_ID=2406&CATID=117

The procedure is simple - just make a series of very tight half hitches and work your way up the pole. I used a glove so that I could really crank on the line when tightening the half-hitches and finishing knot. The end result is a durable, raised spiral grip.

The other photo is the extra tie-in 2" from the butt so that I can crush up sea urchins for "burley".

SnpperWhisperer
06-17-2008, 04:23 AM
Good on ya'. Let us know how it goes. For those around the world, yes the weather is just a bit unstable in NZ this week, so as is obvious, we are either sitting here talking about gear or hiding in our 'Man Caves' making improvements to our gear instead. FWIW I tied a new 10 mm rubber with a Manny knot onto my 3 prong on Sunday... like KJFlyfish, I am waiting for the weather to turn to get out and test it again.

kjflyfish
06-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Mullins says he's going after warehou again this weekend and I'm invited :thumps: I might have to attempt one on the polespear!

mnguy
06-17-2008, 04:56 AM
Are you gonna put an epoxy clear coat over the twine or no? I've seen some people do that with wrapped twine handles for other things, mostly pliers and such. I'm thinking of doing a twine wrapped grip sooner or later as well.

Snpper,

Define "unstable". Lord I hope Southern California is shielded from any major swell action that you guys might generate for this weekend. I'm going to go to the islands for the weekend and try to polespear a yellowtail and white sea bass and I'd like to do so in nice and calm seas.

fishpkt
06-17-2008, 06:37 AM
The grip looks good Kolt.

cmburch
06-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the idea and pics Kolt. I imagine that an epoxy coat would not stick very well and is not needed. My uncle uses similar line for crabbing and it lasts years. I will get some from him for mine.

kjflyfish
06-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, no need for a coating - I put some glue on the raised section in hopes that it would dry tacky to the touch, but it didn't. Moral of the story - if you use the tarred trot line, there's no need for anything, except maybe a drop of superglue at the finishing knot.

SnpperWhisperer
06-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Mike. Unstable is: Today: Southeast 35 knots gusting 50 knots. Easing to easterly 25 knots gusting 35 knots this evening. Very rough sea, easing to rough this evening. Fair visibility in a few showers. Outlook:Thursday:Easterly easing to 15 knots. Cloudy periods. Friday: Easterly 15 knots. Cloudy periods. Saturday: Northeast rising to 20 knots. Rain developing.
So, since our diving is mainly on our east coast, this is not 'ideal' conditions!
Good luck on your mission to your islands for YT/WSB. I look forward to reading about it when you get back in - and take lots of pictures for us to drool over whilst we sit here in the rain!

Kolt: the best thing for urchins is a good rock. It is fastest. Or, a knife so you can pluck them, crack them open, then chuck them over teh edge of dropoffs.

cmburch
06-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I use my Abalone iron for the large purple sea urchins. It attracts quite a few fish and crabs. Abalone spew a cloud of something when touched which also attracts Ling Cod and Cabezon.

Actually, the end of a pole spear would be handy. No need to reach for something else - just flip it around.

So Cal Shaggy
06-17-2008, 05:24 PM
looks good, you can always put a piece of heat shrink on it to protect it also.

mnguy
06-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Mike. Unstable is: Today: Southeast 35 knots gusting 50 knots. Easing to easterly 25 knots gusting 35 knots this evening. Very rough sea, easing to rough this evening. Fair visibility in a few showers. Outlook:Thursday:Easterly easing to 15 knots. Cloudy periods. Friday: Easterly 15 knots. Cloudy periods. Saturday: Northeast rising to 20 knots. Rain developing.
So, since our diving is mainly on our east coast, this is not 'ideal' conditions!
Good luck on your mission to your islands for YT/WSB. I look forward to reading about it when you get back in - and take lots of pictures for us to drool over whilst we sit here in the rain!

Kolt: the best thing for urchins is a good rock. It is fastest. Or, a knife so you can pluck them, crack them open, then chuck them over teh edge of dropoffs.

Not 'ideal' seems like somewhat of an understatement eh?:p

hardway
06-17-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm going to go to the islands for the weekend and try to polespear a yellowtail and white sea bass and I'd like to do so in nice and calm seas.

Go get 'em Mike!

Nice grip kj, I think I might try that myself.

mnguy
06-25-2008, 01:33 AM
I killed some calicos, but the vis wasn't cooperating and the big gamefish weren't home. Oh well. I got to watch a pod of dolphins have sex and generally mess around while I was topside having a snack on the boat though, so that was something new.

nrut
07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Jumping on this thread a little late.

Longtime lurker, and figured it was time to post something.

Living in Idaho, my salt water trips are limited mostly by the cost of diesel, so you pretty much have to work with what you have…. cold, green water…. which makes aluminum pretty tough to hang on to. I liked KJFLYFISH’s idea on the half hitches with the trotline, and have always agreed with OceanEd on the amalgamating tape. It looks like Aaron also uses a simlar grip on his spears, but I haven't had a chance to check them out up close..... that'll change soon though.

I decided to try something a little different, mostly because it was raining and blowing the other night, and I was sitting in the garage (i.e. think-tank) with a cold beer while working on re-fitting some gear.

A buddy of mine from Hawaii gave me this spear a few years back, and it’s pretty light. I liked the half hitch idea, but wanted to try this first. I tied two nail knots with a spiral between them, using a pair of pliers to put tension on the wraps. Since the trotline is tarred, I went ahead and hit it very lightly with a heat gun as I was wrapping, which allowed me to keep the wraps from sliding while keeping them very tight. Then, I wrapped the amalgamating tape over the top. Limited testing, but even with bare hands it’s pretty easy to hang on to, we’ll just have to see about the durability of it. With all the dirt around here in and out of the water, the grip can lose it’s tackiness pretty easy, but a tiny amount of dish-soap brings it back to good-as-new.

Most of my spare time here is spent bow hunting, so I don’t have as much to contribute on the salt water aspect…. but hopefully this might help someone else out.

Thanks for all the great reading folks.

SnpperWhisperer
07-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Good job, looks nice. How longis that spear? It looks like you have made the grip too far towards the tip. Opinions on that from others?

nrut
07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
This is only a 6' spear with a pretty light rubber. I have a 3' graphite extension for it, but I haven't had the visibility to try it out yet. Right below where the ribbing is, there another 7" section that is just covered in white amalgamating tape, with no rib. Figured if I liked this, I might re-do the rest of the lower section as well... either like this, or with the half hitches.

SeaWeed
07-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Here is my grip. Coated solid copper ground wire wrapped with alot of electrical tape.

nrut
07-01-2008, 06:08 PM
I'd actually thought about doing copper wire with a wrap over it... so it's good to know that works. Looks pretty tight and solid.

3M makes an electrical tape thats really tough and tacky. Might end up trying that on a section too.

pelagicmisfit
07-10-2008, 10:43 PM
tried the half hitch method with some strong clothesline i use for a backup float line on my polespear, and it works like a charm. Instead of using a finishing knot or superglue to hold it on i just used some strong electrical tape on the edges of the grip and it stays on more than well