PDA

View Full Version : Maui questions?

SpearoTim71
07-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I will be in Maui 7/10 to 7/17 (Ka'anapali area). Where are the good spots to dive? Is there any place that will rent longblade fins? What about guided trips?

Sharktrainer
07-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Black Rock,where you'll be. Honolua Bay, Kapalua Bay, Mala Wharf, Jodo Reef, Marriott Reef and of course try to fit in a trip to Molokini Crater. For $42 you can ride the ferry over to Lanai roundtrip, and check out Manele Bay, Shark Fin...... I can go on and on.

For gear you can try Maui Dive Shop.

http://www.mauidiveshop.com/rentals.htm

jstroup
07-07-2008, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't even bother with Maui Dive Shop if you are looking for freediving gear. I used to work there, and they really only cater to scuba and snorklers. As MauiFreeDiver said, make sure to check the regs just to ensure you are staying legal with fish size and location. Given the time of year and the south swell, everything north of Lahaina should be pretty good for vis and flatter water.

Troy
07-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I would also suggest Maui Sporting Goods with the exception of adding New Maui Fishing Supply as diving shops to visit. Both shops are extremely close to one another with great customer service.

SpearoTim71
07-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate the fact that you guys respect the environment I only wish more Americans would.

phil herranen
07-08-2008, 10:04 PM
i have shot sum ok ulua (30#) at black rock but i also saw them at almost every spot i dove.
phil