PDA

View Full Version : looking for your input

gcracker89
07-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Well here we go I have enjoyed spearing for many years and never really thought a pole spear fit my type of diving. But this weekend diving a wreck with a lot of shy Mangoís where you just could not get in to get a shot off. Its an area where you canít get in to because of all the steel beams. Free shafting is out, so a line would allow you to pull the shaft back but with all the levels in this area you know the wings are going to snag and your going to loose a shaft. So Iím turning to you guyís to give me your thoughts on a pole spear with a paralyzer point on it? Have you run in to this type of conditions and how well do you think it would work?
Thanks,
Dave

phylo
07-07-2008, 07:49 PM
You also might consider a smaller gun with a trident tip or something like that.

Phil

jfjf
07-07-2008, 08:25 PM
I use a pole spear in conditions like that a lot when scuba diving. It seems that it is more common on the east coast of florida than the west coast. I've used a lot of different pole spears and Ray Odor's one-piece has worked well for me and seems to be a great value. If you are not flying with the thing, the benefit of screw together sections seems minimal to me.

I like a short spear about 5-ft (plus tip) which is easy to handle and also is not too much to carry along with a gun. It also serves as a good compliment when freeshafting because I can pole spear a fish that takes off with a shaft faster than I can re-load a gun.

You do need to pin the fish to the bottom and also hit them in the head and/or gill plate if you expect to be able to pull snappers up out of wrecks etc. In the Middle Grounds I probably shoot 15% of the fish exclusively with the pole spear and make "saves" and second shots on another 20% of fish.

It is also very nice to be able to take a trigger that has been bothering you the whole dive by just poping them in the head before you leave the bottom and just leave them on the spear on the ascent.

aaron proffitt
07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
What he said...to add, I've started using one in very close quarters, zero vis conditions. Hell, alotta times I actually bump into a fish or engage it by hand . With that being said, a polespear has proven to be ideal in these areas. Really am having a great time with it in fact. Second Jim's rec. for Ray Odor. Good solid spears.

gcracker89
07-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Great guys I will have to get one before we go out there next time, its a great dive and the inside is full of fish.But they are shy and play pee-a-boo as snapper do but with all the plate and beams the biggest fish were in the end where you and th GG can't get at them.