PDA

View Full Version : 7/12 - Personal Best 42' Cube

Hat-Nasty
07-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Went out Saturday on a friends boat and headed north. Conditions were as varied as they could be. We dove in warm clear water, warm dirty water, cold dirty water and SUPER COLD (52 degrees) clear water. Current ranged from half a knot to 3 knots.

Fish were everywhere but were very wary. I saw 8 grouper over 20lbs and few bad boys like the one picutred below. (Note the cheesy grin)

headhunter561
07-13-2008, 08:56 PM
sick fish will congrats. I hear the ribs on those big ones are great fried.

Hat-Nasty
07-13-2008, 09:08 PM
And the story.

Mike (MJPHawk) and I drop in on the coldest dive I have made to date. 52 degrees on the bottom with a slow current and about 80-100 feet of vis. I forgot to start the story on the surface.

Since the water was so cold I had borrowed a buddy's 5mil and hadn't added enough wieght the BC. So Dropped over and popped to the surface like a cork. I called to the boat and was handed a weight belt.(A heavy Weight belt). Then the fun started as tried to get the weight belt attach on my descent. I finally gave up and just made my descent until I hit the bottom with a satisfiing POOF of sand.

After getting all my gear situated Mike and I started to approach the wreck. We split at a small peice of the wreck Mike going right and me taking the deeper left side. Since we were hunting up insde this wreck I olny had 2 of my 3 bands loaded.As I dropped to look under the side of the wreck I saw mouthful of white teeth. I quickly loaded the third band and exhaled to drop to the bottom.

The fish and I lock eyes and it spins to show me his tail. I push in and and he is already heading out the otherside of the wreck. I push in harder and as he turns slighty I put my shaft into his head just behind the gill plate.

I couldn't tell if the shaft had exited the other side, so I didn't try to pull him in quickly. Then I saw Mike come over the other side of the wreck and aim down at the fish. That gave me the confidence to start pulling. I worked up the line and bear hugged him. He slipped my grip and started away again. I pulled him back to me and rode him 10 feet down into the bottom and put his nose into a rock.

I looked over my shoulder and Mike was there with the bullet stringer out. He shoved it through the fishes eyes as I started pushing the shaft out through its mouth. I got the shaft free and Mike filled the bag and I let go. The fish went up about 20 feet then came back to life and started kicking for the wreck. He pulled the float back down 3 times with us right below him until the lift bag finally won out.

Back on the surface the fish weighed 42 lbs. Second picture below.

riplipper
07-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Nice fish...congrats on the pb...

mjphawk
07-13-2008, 09:18 PM
It was a great day for sure. Was really awesome to see Will get that fish. He got the one figure salute right before I congratulated him underwater.

We certainly saw some simply amazing fish during the day. I saw several other cuberas during the day of equal or greater size as the one Will landed (one was at least double the size). Saw a few gags. All very spooky. I saw one sitting near the bottom as I peered over the side of some structure that I estimate 60-80lbs. It was simply massive and I swore it was a jewfish at first until I got a better look as he took off all lit up.

Overall, it was just one of those days that you are thankful to be in the water (despite the paralyzing cold water). Would have been a horrible weekend to be busy with something like a wedding or a birthday party :D.

Man-O-War
07-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Awesome fish man! CONGRATS!

OceanEd
07-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Will:

Congratulations on the beautiful fish. Very nice way to celebrate getting back in the water.

Mike:

You got me thinking about pole spears, so I took one of mine down on the deep ledge on Saturday, no gun, and nailed a 20 lb gag.

KEYSKILLER
07-13-2008, 10:24 PM
great cube
congrats:beer:

Johnoly
07-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Huge Rubik's cube of a fish Will, my friend. Those teeth need to be saved!!

Shark Tales
07-14-2008, 05:53 AM
Congrats Will... That is a beautiful fish!

SpearMax
07-14-2008, 05:58 AM
:toast: Way to go Will! :beer::cool::beer:

Mike called me saturday night and gave me the chilling account. :eek:

I have been watching for your report. :yawwn:

I guess I will have to break out my dry suit! Hmmmm..... Tony

Chuckitall
07-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Way to go, I got one a few weeks ago and consider it the top prize of my spearing career. Make sure you get those fangs.

Gruper Reeper
07-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Nice work will, wish I could have been there for the fight

Dan1953
07-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Headed north? Where were you at? Approximatly not numbers or anything.

Hat-Nasty
07-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys its definetly my best fish to date and the highlight of my spearing career! :)

DAN1953 - We headed north out of the Palm Beach/Jupiter area. Since the PBO is just around the corner that's the most I'll say.;)

I was thinking about boiling down the whole head and trying to piece it back together. I know someone else once suggested letting fireants eat on it for a week. If I can't get the whole head taken care of does anyone have suggestions on how to extract the fangs without damaging them?

PrincessSlaya!
07-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Nice Fish!!!!! WOW.... Will, way to go!

JOE_DIRT
07-14-2008, 09:49 AM
If I can't get the whole head taken care of does anyone have suggestions on how to extract the fangs without damaging them?

I'm not sure if they are like shark jaws or not, but if they are we just had a thread on a hook & line site about them.

http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f17/shark-jaws-47603.html?highlight=shark+jaws

There are a few suggestions in there from folks who have done them.

Scubadood
07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Awesome Fish , Congrats , I would give the head to skelton guys ,
The ones who had the booth next to my wifes art exhibit at the lasy SBO.
They use beetles to eat away the meat.I would have them make a
skelton mount for you , there prices are very resonable.Again great fish ,Il be on that boat during the tourny, Iam sure John will have your team up there,
or is it down there,lol.Boynton Beach has some great wrecks.

deepdown
07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Very nice fish.

WOZ
07-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Nice fish, looks like its time to change your avatar!

mjphawk
07-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Headed north? Where were you at? Approximatly not numbers or anything.

See picture below.....sorry I had to. :D

Sin City Slayer
07-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Nice fish, Good teeth for a neck chain.

snokat
07-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Will, that fish is as big as you are, congrats!
These upwellings are producing some interesting fishes.
Can't wait to get back down for some action before mini-season.
I am recovering from a fish stick, my thumb got infected and looked like a lime. No pictures, sorry!

islandpressure
07-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Nice fish!!!!!!!!!:thumps:

KeysKid
07-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Nice fish!

Vicskim
07-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Will that thing is awesome!!!!! I heard the reports on the boat with John as we were droing reef dives... Thats more icing on the cake.

FishinDave07
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
That thing is a BEAST! Nice catch

rjnjupiter
07-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Cut the jaw out and let the ants eat the meat. Nice fish. I'm on the Rankin tomorrow.

settingsteel
07-15-2008, 10:47 AM
wow pig of a cuby WTG:beer:

profishndive
07-15-2008, 09:18 PM
nice cube Will.

Sheri
07-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Will, wow, nice fish! That's a trophy. Well done! :thumps:

Gradyman
07-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Sweet fish & great story!