View Full Version : spearfishing bimini?

07-15-2008, 07:51 PM
im going to the bahamas for the first time in two weeks and i will be staying on bimini. i will have access to a boat and was wondering if there are any spots that have decent spearing near bimini? i am comfortable in pretty much anything under 55-60 feet and i know you can only use polespears or slings. im not asking for any honey holes here, just some general areas. anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks:thumps:

07-16-2008, 09:02 AM
hope you find some good spots, spearing in the bahamas is amazing. ill be in the abacos in two weeks, wish i could help you with some spots.....

07-16-2008, 09:13 AM
There is TONS of excellent bottom down that way, but from what I hear Gingerbread Grounds is incredible. Watch out for Tiger sharks. Look it up

07-16-2008, 01:11 PM
thanks guys:thumps: ya i will definitely look up the gingerbread grounds because that sounds really good and its shallow enough that everyone can dive it

07-16-2008, 01:22 PM
just looked upthe gingerbread grounds and they are supposed to be amazing. i also heard its kinda sharky but thats not to much of a problem if the waters clear:thumps: also? i was wondering if anyone had a polespear or sling they would be willing to trade for a camera? preferably something used like a puig, crist, or henley polespear?

07-17-2008, 07:58 PM
You might also look up Victory Reef, starts in about 30-35, goes down past 80'... awesome dive!!! Its south of Bimini, near Cat Cay?? Its been awhile, so best bet would be to look it up...

07-18-2008, 04:55 AM
Dive4Bugz is right. There is some great diving close to Bimini, both north and south of the Cay. There are groups of rocks, other cays, etc. and all are on the drop off for the edge of the gulf stream and a little east of it. You shouldn't have a problem.

08-13-2008, 09:29 PM
well i just got home ad it was a great trip. we dove from victory reef north on up to great isaacs light. the spearing was amazing but it definitely seemed better the farther we got from bimini