PDA

View Full Version : PBO on Hypnautical 7/26

Gruper Reeper
07-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Probably one of the longest days I've ever had but well worth the effort. Started the day around 5am and the water was geourgous. Completely flat with a small 2 ft swell. Vis was excellent with a few odd thermos. The day went very smooth with most of the team getting all the fish they shot at to the boat. I was the only one that lost a nice 20+ grey ... very frustrating on tourni day!:mad: Mike, Will and Rob all did a great job with the exhausting day of diving. We learned from alot of the mistakes we made in the last tourni and learned even more from this one. Congrats to Rob to placed in the TOP 10 on his FIRST TOURNI!! :thumps: Mikey Parr had tripled his score from the sbo:eek: and I was just really comfortable with my sbo score that I scored the same damn thing. Once again I cannot remember a better day of diving with a better team. Truly looking forward to the third leg of the tourni.

spear'nfool
07-27-2008, 07:06 PM
congratulations on your placement in the tourney

Alex C.
07-27-2008, 07:06 PM
nice fish..

IRONHEAD
07-27-2008, 07:09 PM
nice haul guys:thumps::beer::beer::beer::beer:

sailcrazy
07-27-2008, 07:17 PM
wow nice shootin guys :thumps:

diverik
07-27-2008, 07:19 PM
You shot those fish in West Palm Beach?

Aquatech
07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
You shot those fish in West Palm Beach?

:lol: Easy killer!

Those guys did great where ever they speared those fish! :thumps:

stallbaum
07-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Killer job team hypnautical.

Mobile Diver
07-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Great catch!!:thumps::thumps:

bud30126
07-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Nice job-good speering.:thumps:

mjphawk
07-27-2008, 08:15 PM
It was an awesome day for sure. Lot of really fun diving with an awesome crew. Few little stories for anyone who cares.

My AJ went 27lbs before being gutted. I shot it with a POLE SPEAR! It was freaking awesome. I have been saying lately that I wanted to hook into a big fish with the pole spear and I took the opportunity when it presented itself. Definately a fun ride.

The grouper was trying to be sneaky and hide from me. I happened to get an angle where I cold just barely see him. Saw what I thought was a pec fin in the dark. When I saw it again I waited to see which way it laid down. This way I could tell which end was the face. I took a shot through the little gap I had where I guessed the face was and connected. He bent the shaft, but on tournament day didn't mind too much.

I placed #16 overall (50 tournament points) which is a big improvement from the 16 points I scored last time. Walked away with some really nice Omer fiberglass fins and 10 Nitrox Fills for Force E. I am looking forward to the next leg (after I get some sleep).

jfjf
07-27-2008, 09:01 PM
congratulations guys!

MajorDave
07-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Nice shootin... wish I could have been there.

Bulit7
07-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Yep, nice day for sure!!:thumps: Congrats!

snokat
07-28-2008, 04:39 AM
Nice mess 'o groupa to go with your point fish guys.
I've always said, "it is better to be lucky than good!"
Congrats!
Al

OceanEd
07-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Very, very nice job.

Gradyman
07-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Congrats on the good showing guys!!! Great to see you all there!

Long TWO days for sure...and the only thing I got to shoot Saturday was a bride & groom that wouldn't let me weigh them in Sunday.:lol:

headhunter561
07-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks Team Hypnautical for an incredible day. You are all very talented hunters and I really appreciate the opportunity to come along. Capt John executed the plan perfectly, and had he not been up all night dealing with the boat he would have placed much higher.

We saw the sunrise and sunset on the water Saturday, and dove hard all day. Saturday was my birthday and the luck was definitely with me. I pulled one grouper off a wreck, and later found the other deep in a rubble pile. I put a shaft in him, the hole clouded up, I pulled tight and couldn't budge the line. The fish just locked himself in there and wouldnt budge. The entrance to the little hold was covered in urchins. I tried to work him out for about 15 minutes and was almost ready to leave him and the shaf to go up and regroup, when he finally gave up and came out. I think the 7.5mm hole through his face may have had something to do with it, because he was pretty much dead. The grouper must have been twins because they both weighed 18 lbs 12 oz gutted. A 20+ AJ and some sheepies and snapper later, and I ended up with 65 points Awesome day!!

Tony did a hell of a job putting on the event Sunday! I ended up placing 10th and chose an Omer HF 95 gun with reel. We had more prizes than contestants and everyone left with some nice swag. Mike, Will and I took home free Nitrox cards from the free-for-all on the stage for the remaining prizes. Chad Pallin, Shark Tales, Team Dykoke, the Charleston crew and many more weighed some monster fish and did very well. Congrats to everyone!

Scubadood
07-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Congrats to the young (bucks) guns for there excellent performance , you
have all kicked it up a notch and made us old bucks proud.Also congrats to
Shark Tales and Dykoke for there great showing , east coast spearos rock.

Spearo_Fla
07-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Im not getting this, maybe I'm slow? Was the fish taken in PB or Bahamas? If in PB on Scuba or not? If in Bahamas then of course I know without Scuba.

At any rate nice fish.

Man-O-War
07-28-2008, 09:37 AM
You guys did great, congrats. Spearo Fla, you must be thinking of another team that fishes in the Bahamas. Tournament rules dont allow for fishing outside US.

Chad Palan won the tournament (freediving). His monster 85lb cubera was the largest fish. He also landed a 24lb mutton :eek::eek:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r224/BubblesDepo/IMGP2471.jpg

PrincessSlaya!
07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Wow - You boys killed it! Nice Haul!

mjphawk
07-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Our team competed on scuba. The overall winner was a freediver from our area. No teams are permitted to go to the Bahamas. There was some stink over that last tournament with one team being DQ'ed for cheating by going over there.

Im not getting this, maybe I'm slow? Was the fish taken in PB or Bahamas? If in PB on Scuba or not? If in Bahamas then of course I know without Scuba.

At any rate nice fish.

I was there when Chad weighed his 24lb mutton before gutting it. Didn't quite make a record and many people didn't know why he just shrugged it off and didn't seem to care. Reason being is that he still holds to WR with his 25lb'er.

Thanks to all for the congratulatory remarks toward our teams performance. All teams seemed to do well and we were all winners with that lunch and free beer. :thumps:

donkeys4hire
07-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Nice work fellas. Great shooting Rob.

Johnoly
07-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Great shooting!!

gcracker89
07-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Great looking fish Congrats on the fish.....Oh yea that boat makes a great back drop for fish photos. It will look good in my driveway.
Dave

headhunter561
07-28-2008, 07:06 PM
donkeys4hire? that's gotta be anthony. if so congrats on best AJ that was a moster reef donkey.

Prater
07-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Congrats. It was my first tournament and I had a great time. I never saw anything worth shooting but wanted to get a prize so that one pound mango got me a nice hammerhead rash gaurd. I had a great time and met some wonderful people.

Hope to be shooting again soon...

Hat-Nasty
07-29-2008, 08:24 AM
IT was another great day on the water with my team. We fished hard and all had damn good day.

As always with fishing I missed a couple good opptunties for that elusive second grouper and one cubera spooked and silted me out in hole. Had wait about almost 2 min before i could see to get out!

My grouper was much like Rob's except I was over a body length into a hole when I shot mine. He silted everything up and I had to fight down the line in the dark until I got my hands on his tail and then his gills.

The real fight of the day was my little 19lb AJ. This is first fish to every attack me after I shot it. I was sitting on the bottom when I spotted this guy and waved him in. My shot was in the head just behind and below the eyes. (Of course just below the stone shot area). As soon as the shaft hit the fish it charged straight at me and slamed into my face. Of course my mask was off, but lucky still on my head. I kept trying to get it back on correctly. Finally got it on and one side cleared and started looking for dive buddies to tell them I was headed up.

That is when I saw the Mike doing the AJ rodeo with a 27lber on the end of his polespear!! Congrats on that fish and congrats on beating me in this one.(I think I am still slightly ahead in total points, 1 more to go)

Rob - way to bring home the birthday presents. Hopefully that new gun will net you fish in the next round.

John - Thanks again for having us on the boat, all the middle of the night endevors, and the superb drops. Especailly the 20x20 rock pile that we nailed like a squadron of A-10s. Sheephead had no idea what hit them. :)

I need to get a copy of those group photos from you too!

mjphawk
07-29-2008, 10:47 AM
all the middle of the night endevors
That sounds kinda :fro:

Especailly the 20x20 rock pile that we nailed like a squadron of A-10s. Sheephead had no idea what hit them.
That was hysterical. We started the day dropping all four of us at once. Dropped a new number and we all come swooping in on the smallest rockpile in the history of time. As John said, "We just finished invading a small country"