PDA

View Full Version : spearfishing from beach

nutsmagoo
08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I have been spearing in shallow waters near the beach and ready to try some deeper spots with bigger fish. Is it feasible to reach such spots swimming out from the beach or do you pretty much need a boat to do it safely? Any suggestions for good spots around Palm Beach county that you can access from the beach?

spear'nfool
08-05-2008, 08:28 PM
where do u dive from the beach, I'm really curious caused my dad doesn't let me take the boat out when he's not there:bang:, but i can't seem to find a local spot where spearfishing is allowed.

ezequiel
08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
try with a kayak!!, when weather is fine, aand wind less than 15kn, you caan go anywhere!

nutsmagoo
08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
According to myfwc you are not allowed to spearfish "Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed." I have just been walking north of the lake worth beach away from everyone and going out there.

I am not really sure what defines a "public beach". I am assuming that it means a guarded beach that has signs where the guarded beach borders are.

I have also gone in front of the breakers. I talked to the lifeguard before going out there and he didnt see a problem with it. (that beach is private not public) Saw another guy with a speargun in front of the breakers too, so I am assuming no prob there.

spear'nfool
08-05-2008, 09:13 PM
ohhh cause i went out of jupiter and there was no one around, and we were pretty far off but when we got out a cop approched us and told us that we wern't allowed to HAVE a speargun on a public beach' even though we started at a private beach and drifted and came out a a public beach he also told us that they could take our guns so i havent gone since off a beach

nutsmagoo
08-05-2008, 09:20 PM
maybe i will call the cops tomorrow and ask them since I am not really sure.

how was it in jupiter where you guys went?

spear'nfool
08-05-2008, 09:23 PM
there was nothing there, we just went in for the fun of it but i did get a little cero mack, but other than that it was a dessert

1shot2kills
08-06-2008, 01:40 AM
i got a couple of spots, i live in west palm too...cant dive rite know because I pretty much destroy my ring and middle finger but can help you out 5417970

Spearo_Fla
08-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Drive to Broward and hit the second reef 300 yds from shore.

ReefGuy
08-07-2008, 08:04 AM
I am not really sure what defines a "public beach". I am assuming that it means a guarded beach that has signs where the guarded beach borders are.

The problem is that FWC officers don't know the answer to this either. I work with them on occasion and have posed this question to several of them, and never gotten the same answer twice.

Rinaldo
08-07-2008, 11:25 AM
They cannot legally prevent you from coming to shore with a speargun. You are not legally supposed to launch from a Lifeguarded beach. So you have to find a place without towers to launch from or launch before the lifeguards set up, which is usually around 7 am around me.

Sunrise- Oakland park used to be an unguarded beach, for some freak reason there are portable guard towers all up and down the beach now. So I have just gone out earlier than usual to get out onto the water. The guards can call the police all they want when you come out, if they come harass you explain that you launched from a different point and drifted to the current location.

Citadel Slinger
08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
The only nice reefs off of the beach are off of Ft. Lauderdale. It’s a long swim but if you’re in shape and can swim out there (500 yards) the fishing is great. I have shot everything from decent size blacks to Cobia in about 30 feet of water tons of Hogs too... there is a nice ship wreck off of Boynton Beach about a mile north of the Boynton Inlet but it’s a long hike. Plus there are walls of Tarpon and thus the occasional big bull shark that has stolen a few of my buddies’ fish. I wouldn't dive it without someone to watch you. Let me know if you need to know exactly where to go. And if you need someone to go with some time I am always down for a good shore dive.

Drew

FreedivinFool
08-07-2008, 08:43 PM
You only have to be 300 ft. away from any public swimming area.

nutsmagoo
08-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Sounds like there are some good options south of me to explore. Drew, once I get a little more experience under my belt I will take you up on your offer. Eddie - thanks for the info on the phone the other day. Give me a call when you are ready to go out again.

On a side note, I just bought a Rob Allen 110cm railgun this evening from FL Freedivers. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow. Should be a nice upgrade from the JBL D-8 Super Carbine!

1shot2kills
08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
dude no problem....it was great to talk spearfishing with someone, freaking stuck inside my house!!!Glad you got the RA from F.Freedivers.When you get a chance check out their open muzzles...look great, havent tested them out yet, but by what Mike told me their perform great.I'm gettinit the pin removed from my finger tomorrow so it would be a couple of days till i can taste some salt water...and yeah I'll be deff. calling you.Good luck tomorrow

divethewetrocke
08-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Up in sebatian we just make sure that we are outside of the public parks ask a lifeguard most boundaries are well defined