PDA

View Full Version : Name of knot used to tie band on a sling?

OutOfAir
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Anyone know what the name of the knot used to secure the band to a Hawaiian sling? I though it was similar to the one used to whip a line. It's time to replace my band.

Bill McIntyre
08-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I think you are referring to the constrictor knot. Its what I use to tie my bands.

stevemc1
08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Yes that is it. Some use a double constrictor, which is basicly another pass through with the bitter end, but a single constrictor is the usual one. Also leave enough line in the wishbone to loop through the hole.

FredT
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Whipping works on a sling, but you have to get it tight as there is no "retainer" to hold the band as there is on a speargun band wishbone. Whipping length should be at least 1.5 x the diameter of the handle, better at 2x.

OutOfAir
08-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I am not referring to a pole spear band. But a sling that shoots a free shaft. Just clarifying if I wasn't clear.

I was thinking I would first wrap a length of tape around the wooden hand and band ends to secure. Then I can tie my "knot" around it to secure the band to the handle. Of course, now that I went out to get a new band. I can't find the wooden handle.

mnguy
08-07-2008, 10:29 PM
If the wooden handle is circular with a groove around the radius, wouldn't a hose clamp work?

OutOfAir
08-07-2008, 10:48 PM
If the wooden handle is circular with a groove around the radius, wouldn't a hose clamp work?

There is no groove, but i'm sure it would work. I've heard of people going that route in a pinch. I'd just prefer using rope or twine. I have one of the plastic, funny looking ones as a back up. But like the larger diameter of the wooden handle. Easier to grip for me. I'll post up a pic once I get it back together.

Bill McIntyre
08-07-2008, 10:54 PM
My uncle made me my first Hawaiian sling, probably in about 1949. He didn't use a hose clamp, so he must have whipped it, because I am pretty sure he never heard of a constrictor knot, but had whipped plenty of rod guides and rod handles.

I'd ask him, but he has been dead for a very long time.