PDA

View Full Version : Oregon freshwater regulations?

Kyle in WI
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi guys
I'm visiting a buddy in the Portland area in September and was wondering if there are any lakes with good visibility and good spearing? Is this legal in Oregon? I'm gonna try the coast, but he isn't a great swimmer and I think a lake would be better for his first time.
Thanks for the info

Kyle in WI
08-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Nobody? I'm willing to trade Wisconsin hotspots for a couple of Oregon lakes...

wkyongae
08-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Sorry for not getting back sooner. But up here in the NW not much allowed as for freshwater spearing. Now for salt Oregon's coast is hit or miss at best. And couple this with experience level to be truthful I would not advise it. But those who live and dive in the area might disagree. Personally I'd head up to the Puget Sound and freedive for flounder. Just find an area not too far from a river (like less then a mile) and head in. Watch the tide exchange try to hit the water at low tide a minus tide is better. Time it 1 hour before to 1 hour after. Less time is better. Or head up to Neah Bay and spear the kelp beds. Great time be extra careful of tide exchanges or you risk being carried away and spear at high tide. Greenling, Ling Cod (must be over 24") rock fish and bass are some of the fish of choice. No halibut out of season. You can purchase a fishing license at Wal-mart. Also, if you head up to Neah Bay make sure you are west of the Sekiu River anywhere east not allowed. Also let it be know and warned water temp up here is cold like around 50. Hope this helps.

Kyle in WI
08-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks alot for the info