PDA

View Full Version : Central Kansas

kendo
08-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey guys,

Brand new to the sport and after my first spearing trip to hawaii I will be moving to Manhattan KS. Was wondering if anyone has ever tried spearing in Milford Lake or Tuttle Creek Lake. I looked in the regs and saw that trash are the only thing available, which I am perfectly cool with. Love bowfishing for carp, so I can't imagine spearing them would be any less fun.

If these lakes are a no-go because of vis then are there any other lakes I should check out?

Thanks

Prater
08-20-2008, 03:15 PM
What, Kansas has lakes??? Just kidding. I know how it is here in Oklahoma. I am generaly at the lake when the vis is under 5 feet. The best time of year I have gone in the lakes is january-febuary. Lots of vis but cold ass water.

Good luck.

mudhole
08-20-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm not familiar with those lakes, but friends from Wichita Kansas drive down almost every weekend to spearfish Lake Tenkiller, in Oklahoma. In this part of the country, most of the lakes are manmade and have mud bottoms. In eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas and southern Missouri, the Ozark mountains have some rocky bottom lakes with sometimes better visibility. . . recent rains have made visibility a spotty issue. Check the driving distance, but Beaver lake and Table Rock lake may be accessible for you. Arkansas has favorable spearfishing laws allowing divers to take Stripped bass, black bass, and walleye, on a lake by lake rule.

Search for past threads for some free divers taking strippers in Arkansas.

kendo
08-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Crap! I've seen videos of guys going spearing with snow on the ground but i won't be able to try that this winter. I guess that gives me time to get a really good wetsuit.

Thanks for the info Prater.

Les Sage
08-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey Kendo,

Your best bet is to drive over to Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas.

CH

Hey guys,
If these lakes are a no-go because of vis then are there any other lakes I should check out?

Thanks

Prater
08-22-2008, 05:05 PM
I agree that Beaver Lake would be one of the best to go to. Its been a few years since I dove there. Last time at Tinkiller the Vis was not so great. I would prefer Beaver with a planned camping trip. Maybe we can all get together this fall.

fin
08-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Try Kanopolis lake, or Wilson.

kendo
08-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I would love to check out beaver lake but unfortunately it will have to wait until the fall of 09. I'll be pretty busy once I get to kansas then I'll be going overseas for a year. Was hoping I could find something close for short weekends. Thanks for all the info though.