PDA

View Full Version : Oahu trip

kendo
08-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi everybody,

So I'm off to oahu from 4 Sept to the 9th. I'll be visiting an old college buddy to do some spearing. We are both brand new to the sport and are looking for any locations where we can get access to some quality numbers. I'm not looking to go after anything capable of swallowing a small annoying dog. One of the main purposes of the trip is to get familiarized with our equipment, hunting techniques, and just have a good ol time. One of our biggest holdups is that we'll be primarily diving from shore. We're both in good shape so a swim of a mile won't be too much for us. We'll also be traveling with another person with experience to keep an eye on us.

Sorry for the length but last was just wondering if there are any recommendations on good tasting fish. I've had plenty of goat fish, grouper, and jacks but will try anything new.

Thanks a bunch

MauiFreeDiver
08-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Good tasting fish for your skill level would be
Aholehole-small siver fish that hang in schools against the rocks in the white wash.
Menpachi-small red fish that hang in schools under ledges and in caves.
Aweoweo-looks like menpachi but flatter and longer, under ledges as well.
Weke (goat fish)-yellow stripe, silverish body hang in big schools along sandy bottoms.
Roi-Tasty purple grouper whith white stripes on back half of body, easy to shoot, just wait for them to pop out of holes and hover. Watch for cig, I suggest you use them for target practice, I dont condone any killing of fish that is not for consumption, but this fish is an invasive species and needs to be wiped out...kill at will.
Manini-green with vertical black bars, hang in big schools all over the reef.

These are some of the basic 3-prong pan fry type fish, just a warning Hawaii fish have PHD's so step up your game. Respect the locals, takle only what you will eat and follow the DLNR rules and regs.
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/
PS the regs link I posted also has pictures of fish I described along with all other fishes.

JameyK
08-20-2008, 03:57 PM
R u shooting 3prong or a gun? and how deep do you hunt?

kendo
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I'll be using a gun and i'll try and do most of my hunting at about 20'-30'. Kinda wondering if I bought too much gun for a beginner but i've heard a lot of people have buyers remorse for not going with a larger gun. I'm using a JBL explorer 24. Before I hear a bunch of haters on my first gun, keep in my I'm testing the waters to see if this sport is for me.

Thanks for the info MauiFreeDiver. I've been checking out the regs to try and keep them fresh in my mind. Also looked up some youtube clips of menachi to help give me an idea of what type of cover to look for and what the fish look like in the water.

MauiFreeDiver
08-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I cant speak on the JBL because I have no experience with it, but even though I said those were 3 prong fish, you still may need a gun to get close to some of them, especially from a Oahu shore dive. I try not to speak about spots on the other islands, but for spots your best bet is HSD forums http://www.hawaiiskindiver.com/community/

JameyK
08-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Menpachi are quick, and since their usually in caves and ledges you could end up shooting alot of rock with that new gun. I don't know what side of the island you'll be on, but I like china walls for shore diving. Theres alot of roi there but they pretty smart there. If you get past 30' there the na'ena'e s are easy to shoot. Kind bony but good white meat. Magic Island is a good spot to find uhu's in 0-30' a water. Do you know what side of the island you'll be on?

kendo
08-21-2008, 10:32 AM
I'll be staying in Haleiwa, at my buddies' place. I'm game to travel to any part of the island for some good diving.

I'm curious if cig in the roi is really a big concern or if the threat is just hyped up by the media. I have been reading up on it at various websites and it seems like some nasty stuff. Not sure how good the information is since it seems like a bunch of people have eaten roi without any problems. I also read that cig occurs in many fish like jacks, groupers, and barracudas. I lived on Okinawa for a few years and ate plenty of groupers and jacks caught off the reefs there without any problems.

MauiFreeDiver
08-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Cig is real in Hawaii, alot of people have it and dont know it till they eat a really "hot" fish. There are many roi studies regarding cig here. Alot of fish can have cig here. I wouldnt worry about it too much with the fish you will be targeting. Im sure if you eat 1 or 2 rois you will be fine, (you might end up storing toxins though) if you shoot uluas, kakus or kahalas, I would get the cig test kit and test them first. I have eaten rois without testing them and so far so good, I was just trowing that warning out there since I suggested that fish. The north shore has some nice spots and dont forget to go to Matsumoto's for some mean shave ice.

tw1012
08-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Does that cig test work? I have seen it at Hana Pa'a but no where else. I read that there is no reliable test for cig.

JameyK
08-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I lived there in the winters so I was always diving south shore. The north has great reefs though. You can pretty much shore dive anywhere the surf is down and theres reef. Definitely go dive to the left of the big rock at wiamea. There are spots all over the island but if your just learning its really not worth driving all over cause chances are if you find a spot and the fish seem skitish and the big ones don't show, its not the spot its you.

Fis_Hunter
08-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Your gun stats say its affective range is 21 feet. If your bottom time is good you can hit a fish. You will be suprised how smart the fish are they will stay just out of range. You can have a school of fish all around you if you have no gun, they will vanish if you have a gun in your hand. Drop to the bottom into a crack or hole and wait for them to come see what you are doing. Throw sand and wait for them to come and see what you are doing. Don't forget to look behind you they will come up to have a look at you.

Ramiro
08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
If you can find a wahini, they are not so easy to shoot and can be kinda smelly tho, traditional fishy.
The old ones are pretty tough, stay away those, bruddah.

MauiFreeDiver
08-27-2008, 06:27 PM
If you can find a wahini, they are not so easy to shoot and can be kinda smelly tho, traditional fishy.

"Wahine"

kill shot
08-28-2008, 09:46 AM

:lol: