PDA

View Full Version : JBL polespear (HELP!!!!!!!!!!)

Silentspear
09-04-2008, 06:21 PM
I just purchased a 6 foot JBL pole spear, but it's sling is a little too tight for my taste, like not long enough. Anyone know how to loosen these? I'd be willing to by another (longer) sling if necessary.

FreedivinFool
09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
If your taliking about the band then generally the black rubber bands are less stiff than the amber colored ones. You can also get a large size band

Sin
09-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I have an 8ft ray odor spear, and the band is a biacth to load too. Had to add grip to it. After i load the spear 5or 6 times my hand starts to hurt and cramp up. I guess u just have to man up, bro. Build resistance.

OceanEd
09-04-2008, 09:04 PM
You have choices, depending on what you want to do.

1. Get a longer band for the pole spear. You can probably buy one but they are extremely easy to make if you just buy the band material a couple of inches longer than what you have now and swap it out. Try to eventually work your way up until you can use a stronger band than usually comes with that pole spear.

2. Sin is giving you good information. Add a grip further up the pole where you want to grip it. There are different matrials you can use. I have found that the easiest is to get some self amalgamating tape (the type you stretch and then it fuses or bonds to itself permanently) at Home Depot or Lowe's and put some wraps on the pole. I usually put it 3/3 to 3/4 of the way up the pole towards the tip and then size my band so that I can reach maximum pull when I am holding the tape.

Good luck.

I recommend you do both of the above. It whould really change what you can do with the pole spear.

classtimesailer
09-04-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't think that you need it longer. I also have the 6 footer and stretch the band about 4 to 5 feet where I have wrapped about 12 inches of rubber Mastic tape. When I first started, I maybe loaded it 2 feet and I thought it was fine. Then I saw another guy stretch his almost to the threads while he was hunting. After I saw that, I started stretching it more and more and it got easier and easier and the spear moves faster and further. I recommend that you stick with it awhile before you make any adjustments.

Do some searches on this board regarding grip tape ideas. If you decide to go with "amalgamating" tape, don't ask for amalgamating tape because they probably won't know what that is. On the box it says rubber mastic tape. I have tried two brands. I think the "Plymouth" brand (HomeDepot?) lasts much longer than the "Scotch" brand (Lowes?).

Jeff

I typed the above before reading Ocean Ed's reply. He definitely knows pole spears.

mnguy
09-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Why lengthen it? That spear is already light enough as it is, and if you put less force behind it you're going to find yourself pushing more fish away with the tip than you are actually sticking, especially with a 3 prong but its highly probable with just about any tip.

If you don't want to go with the grip method, I'd suggest getting gloves with the rubberized palms to give you a better grip.

freediverkid21
09-05-2008, 06:54 PM
i had one and i load it almost all the way to the threads and im a skinny little kid :thumps:

florfreediver
09-05-2008, 07:13 PM
I just purchased a 6 foot JBL pole spear, but it's sling is a little too tight for my taste, like not long enough. Anyone know how to loosen these? I'd be willing to by another (longer) sling if necessary.

Hi Ss,
Not sure if I am understanding the situation properly but here goes.

1. If you bought the JBL Travel spears, then the band can be lengthened by unscrewing the end piece and pulling the assembly all the way out.
Pull on the two ends of the tubing . One of the ends has a small bulge in it. You can then lengthen the band by pulling the other end, which is normal longer to allow lengthening of the system.

2. If you bought a one peice JBL Pole Spear then the end cap does not unscrew. However there is a cut-out on the side of the pole spear. Use a pair of needle nose pliers or similar and pull the two ends out of the tube. You can then adjust the working length as described above.

Hope this is the info you were looking for.

Mike.

The Jewish Assassin
09-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I put some grip tape around the end of my ray odor (dont know if its self amalgemating sp.) so I can keep it at the end now but the rubber digs into my anatomical snuff box (meat between the thumb and pointer finger). Even with gloves it really bugs me. Can I tape my hand up or something? Is there anyway to make that more comfortable?

btw im a rock climbing and think i have a pretty decent grip. the band on this thing is insane. holding it at the end is really hard. w/o grip I can hold 6" from the end for around a minute. with the grip I can do 3+ minutes

TheSpearit
09-22-2008, 02:38 AM
When wrapping your spear with mastic (self-amalgamating) tape, do you wrap it with the sticky side toward the spear, or outward?

SnpperWhisperer
09-22-2008, 02:43 AM
Towards the spear.

mnguy
09-22-2008, 03:57 AM
I put some grip tape around the end of my ray odor (dont know if its self amalgemating sp.) so I can keep it at the end now but the rubber digs into my anatomical snuff box (meat between the thumb and pointer finger). Even with gloves it really bugs me. Can I tape my hand up or something? Is there anyway to make that more comfortable?

Tried it with some old band rubbers once just to see the effect. Hurts more that way. Maybe a piece of leather sewn onto the outside of that part of your glove if it is so bad.

The Jewish Assassin
09-23-2008, 07:14 PM
kk thanks, ive actually got used to it :D . I was in catalina for 3 days, that broke me in

tuffstuff
09-27-2008, 10:21 AM
get some really grippy gloves or make a grip like they said...it just takes practice and I used to use a pole spear every time and my palm would callas up where the band was held.It just takes time and practice.