PDA

View Full Version : Winter Harbour Vancouver Island

beaver
09-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Report and photos to follow but I have rounded up the boys and we are hitting the North West coast of Vancouver Island next weekend. Picture included of one of the lings taken on rod and reel this year, fishing reports include lings up to 70# and Halibut over 200.
To my Knowledge no one has speared there so untouched it is.

Argh I canít wait 6 more days.

FYI:
Winter harbour is a small community (pop 20) 2 hours west of Port Hardy by logging roads and about 40 miles south of Cape Scott (regularly records waves in the 40-60ft range year round) this should be one bad ass trip.

the beav

Ron S
09-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Can't wait to hear the report! Sounds like a serious adventure.
Ron.

beaver
11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Well sorry to keep people waiting it has been a busy month for me at work + the missus is prego so bit less diving than usual.
2 days at winter harbor were awesome. Medium lings10-25 on the inside waters.
Tons of bass. Incredible dive sites 60 + feet Vis all 3 divers had limits far too quickly so we just dove the rest of the day for fun.

Went to Pt hardy day3 port Mcneill day 4

Had one of the most incredible dives of my life.... saw several lings over 40# and played with Octopus and wolf eels.
We opted to skip hunting that day as freezer was gonna be full anyway.
Last day, standard awesome diving in pt McNeill great weather but the water gets moving in the fall... current never dropped below 4 knots and was peaking around 9 so tough work and water temps down in the mid 40's

Again though Vis over 60 feet.
sorry no photos but great memories

njspearo
11-06-2008, 03:58 PM
no pics???
sounds like a damn good time though.

fish impaler
11-07-2008, 01:42 AM
whats the water temp there?
what kind of wetsiut were you wearing?
tanks?

mrflea
03-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Anyone have a link to the regs on spearfishing for north vancouver island/port hardy area?

Thanks,

Flea

beaver
03-02-2009, 07:45 PM
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/coastalmap_e.htm

sorry I am usually pretty active in helping here. Just busy lately. See my other post.