PDA

View Full Version : Best Polespear tips??

steepNdeep
10-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the advice - I ordered a Ray Odor 3-piece with 2' extention (8 ft) instead of the JBL. I spoke to Ray and he sounds like a great guy (and reading he is a pioneer of the sport). It comes with an 8" flopper tip. On the trip, I plan to shoot mostly reef fish - snapper, grouper, etc. up to ~15 lbs. Will a slip tip work well enough everything under 15 lbs or is a paralyzer that much better for the smaller fish?

I'm cheap and only want to buy 1 other tip. I'm debating about whether to get a paralyzer for the small ones or a slip-tip for the potential for bigger fish? Near home, there are Northern Pike that get over 20 lbs... Here's a lil' one:
http://www.pikemasters.com/images/shawnwhite44pike.jpg

steepNdeep
10-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Ordered the slip tip. Looks like I'll be in the Caribbean for Xmas. I might test it on a big grouper... Readin' some posts here, I'm also gettin' psyched about Pike this summer! :cool:

Deep Six
11-10-2008, 06:05 AM
Where are you that you're able to spear pike?! That'd be great fun!

njspearo
11-12-2008, 04:54 PM
youll be happy with your set up, its a great polespear. just go with a slip tip man, thats all you need. And actuallly come to think of it, i think the ray odor comes with a single barb flopper tip. so just use that on smaller fish, but beleive me, its all about the slip tip.

steepNdeep
11-13-2008, 12:50 AM
njspearo, What is the smallest fish that you've shot with a slip tip? I'm plannin' on just using the flopper for most fishin'...