PDA

View Full Version : need help in planning a trip

Mulloway
10-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Hi all, I'm planning a trip to the united states to shoot some fish. i'm thinking of going in late Jul and would like to dive the rigs of louisiana and the middle grounds of florida. below are a few questions.

1. is late July a good time?
2. how cold will the water be?
3. who or which charter will bring me out in the weekdays in louisiana? I'll bring all the beer, be the anchor bitch, help wash the boat and pay my share for the fuel if someone is kinda enough to bring me out and show me the ropes.
4. will the airline let me take a couple of fish to New York? (its for my aunt, i haven't seen her for ages)
5. Does HS do weekday trips or only weekend trips?
6. I'll need to rent tanks and a gun too. big hassle bringing my own gun.
7. i've yet to work out my itinerary, i'm thinking of Tampa-new york-louisianna-new orleans(tourist stint) or should i do the trip new orleans-louisiana-new york-tampa-miami?

any help would be very much appreciated.

george

TangoMike
10-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi all, I'm planning a trip to the united states to shoot some fish. i'm thinking of going in late Jul and would like to dive the rigs of louisiana and the middle grounds of florida. below are a few questions.

1. is late July a good time?
2. how cold will the water be?
3. who or which charter will bring me out in the weekdays in louisiana? I'll bring all the beer, be the anchor bitch, help wash the boat and pay my share for the fuel if someone is kinda enough to bring me out and show me the ropes.
4. will the airline let me take a couple of fish to New York? (its for my aunt, i haven't seen her for ages)
5. Does HS do weekday trips or only weekend trips?
6. I'll need to rent tanks and a gun too. big hassle bringing my own gun.
7. i've yet to work out my itinerary, i'm thinking of Tampa-new york-louisianna-new orleans(tourist stint) or should i do the trip new orleans-louisiana-new york-tampa-miami?

any help would be very much appreciated.

george

George, July can be a great time in Florida, if you come in late July you might even get in on the recreational lobster diving.

Water temperature varies. In the Keys and Middle Grounds it will be in the Mid 80s but on the Atlantic side we have an occurrance called an upwelling when the water can be down into the 50s. It is different every year. Last year it was in the upper 70s and of course that depends on whether your are North of Jupiter or South.

The airlines will allow you to transport fish. Check out their websites for instructions on packing.

The closest airport to the LA oil rigs is New Orleans. You have to drive to the gulf ports closest to the rigs from there. Since you have some flexibility, you should probably price it out in various ways. Air fare is usually less expensive flying into the major international airports like New York or Miami.

Many of the charter boats will rent you any equipment you need or put you in touch with a local dive shop that can accomodate you.