PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Spearfishing

Bermuda Hunter
11-27-2008, 09:07 PM
I am from Bermuda and will be in New Zealand from February to the end of June. I'll be based out of Auckland and am looking to get some spearfishing in. I've been surfing the web trying to get some info. Just wondering if you guys could help point me in the right direction with some pointers, advise etc. Many thanks.

orangekiwi
11-27-2008, 10:30 PM
visit fishing.net.nz and select the "spearo's corner" for info on spearfishing.shops in Auckland are Wild Blue ( www.wildblue.co.nz) and Ocean Hunter ( ww.oceanhunter.co.nz)
most spearing is done north of Auckland, from Leigh, Ti point, Matheson Bay, Takatu Point etc upwards. A few go out on the west coast, but you want to really know what you are doing as this is a wild and wicked place.

Herby
11-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Just before you come over do as orangekiwi says and log onto fishing.net.nz.
There aren't that many spearos in NZ but most of us are pretty active and get out a lot so it will be no problem to get yourself out on trips. The majority of spearos live in Auckland so you will be basing yourself in the right place. As long as you pay more than your share of gas money (e.g. oil and other expenses... should be around $60-100 for a day out )and help with the clean up people are happy to have other people on their boats. As long as you are capable in the water you will find people to dive with very easily (no one wants to babysit!)
Don't expect clear water, a good day here is 60 feet, with most days around half that.
As far as equipment goes, most spearos here use a 1.2m euro with 25-30 metres of hard float line. A 5mm wetsuit will be fine for here, you'd be sweet with a 3mm in Feb-april but you may get cold towards the end of your stay.
Most fish in NZ are dumb with the exception of Snapper (a porgy). As long as you can get to the bottom and have reasonable bottom time you should be able to get fish. NZ is famous for our Yellow Tail, and you will see why, but don't go nuts on them. Shoot one one day then try to get a bigger one the next time. They are an easy fish to shoot so it doesn't really prove much shooting mid sized fish. There is a limit of three per day, but most spearos stick to a voluntary one per day limit. Learn the types that we target, no doubt on your first couple of dives you will shoot non target fish- no big deal, just go for a swim with someone who can point the good ones out to you.
Call into wild blue when you are here and have a chat, we will point you in the right direction.
If you want any more info just PM me

Bermuda Hunter
11-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Many thanks guys. That is some great information. I'll make sure to check out the sites and I'll call into wild blue when I get down. Only pole spears are allowed in Bermuda so thats all I have experience with, hopefully I'll be able to keep up with the guns. I mostly spear on the reefs getting hogfish (our equivalent to your boarfish), snapper, porgy and grouper. When targeting pelagic's we attach a 30m float line and an extra section to give the spear greater range. We mostly get wahoo, tuna, mahi mahi and the occasional surprise that swims through. Would it be worth bringing my pole spear? It does break down so packing it isn't a problem.

kjflyfish
11-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey BH, definitely bring your polespear - you'll need it to fend off the Snapper Whisperer from his inappropriate advances (he may have found a soulmate)! But seriously, you might find that your polespear skills are just the ticket to do really well over here. Like Herb said, a 120 with single 18mm band (or smaller doubles) will put you in the game for almost anything you'll see.

Definitely sign up here: http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=11

Bermuda Hunter
11-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll go ahead and sign up on the local forum and keep reading away. I'll be in Zanzibar and mainland Tanzania for most of January but I'll make sure to get in touch with you guys before I'm NZ bound, see if we can get a trip together or something. And I'll make sure to pack the pole spear.

I've been looking at some of your lobster (crayfish) pics. We get mostly caribbean spiny's in Bermuda and catch them using nooses (wire loop on the end of a pole that tightens around the tail when you pull). I personally have constructed a telescoping noose that extends out to twelve feet to get deep in caves and tunnels. How do you guys get your crays?

kjflyfish
11-29-2008, 02:55 AM
Two hands, bro! The trick is getting that third cray...

virgili
11-29-2008, 08:55 AM
In Auckland you could keep in touch with my colleague Darren Shields:
he's a spearfishing reference in NZ...
darrenshields@xtra.co.nz
he runs: http://www.wildblue.co.nz/

http://www.spearfishingmotion.com/pictures.html?picture_id=82

Herby
11-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Virgili, Darren hasn't run Wild Blue since about 2005.

Bermuda hunter, just dive in hard and fast and grab the crays. You can buy nooses and hooks, and can be in posession of them but their actual use is illegal, how they'd prove you used one is a bit beyond me but there ya go. Not many freedivers use them.
A polespear will be fine here, a guy from my club (The Bluefins.... might also be a good idea to get in contact with us when you are here to organise trips?) has been using a polespear exclusively for the last few years and gets just as much/more/better fish as the rest of us.... in fact he got second in our year long club competition.

Bermuda Hunter
12-18-2008, 03:50 PM
So, as it turns out, I just got kicked out of college and will therefore no longer be studying abroad down in University of Auckland. A bummer I know. Thanks for everything though guys, you've been very helpful. I'll definitely make it down there one of these days so save me a couple kingies. And if you guys ever make your way up to Bermuda, you know who to look up. Cheers.

Herby
12-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Kicked out of college? Sounds like you'd fit right in in NZ!