PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon Continues!

Smudge
11-30-2008, 12:37 AM
After a productive day on Turkey Day itself, we decided to keep up the pace and go for it full speed on Friday.

Couple of bookend Uluas topped te day for Daryl and I...

Gotta love the underwater close up!!!

Pete also got in ont he fun with a nice sized pananui in 52 FSW!! I hope and pray that I'm shooting fish in 52 ft of water at 72 years of age!!!

We went out again today but the weather blew us off of the water pretty early. Daryl has a few pics of today's catch. Things are supposed to smooth out by morning so hopefully we'll be at it again to finish out the weekend!!

Mobile Diver
11-30-2008, 04:56 PM
NICE!! 52fsw @ 72?! AMAZING!!:thumps:

Daryl Wong
12-01-2008, 01:57 AM
Aloha,

Saturday we went out and the weather started out great. It was a little cloudy but no wind and the swell was small.
We headed out to see if the blue water season was finally starting. After achoring up, Matt and I slipped in while our hero Pete got ready.
You know how seniors are. Move a little slow topside, but smooth and gracefull below. In fact Pete can dive over 80 ft, but tries to stay under 60. He said its time for the big dogs to go on their own. I only hope I can hang that deep and long when I'm 72 years old.
Well not more than 30 minutes later, still no Pete, but after watching schools of bait cruise by, I saw one Ono coming in. Then two followed by ten or more.
The first one came in close withing 8ft, but I got greedy and swung my new 61 in bull barrel magnum hybrid 90 degrees to shoot at the two bigger Onos. They were farther off and quartering. I took a shot and missed! :eek: Well, I loaded as fast as I could which which is easy with a semi enclosed track hybrid. I turned and the first ono was still lingering around wondering WTF :confused: So I dropped down and spined it.
Matt had a hard angle on his first ever look at an ono and just missed.
Pete finally showed up and asked what was going on. I said where the F... were you, and he said "getting ready" :rolleyes:
After unloading the ono I went back out and after another hour another school came by. This time there were over 20 onos. It looked like a fleet. I wasn't going to get greedy and with my third shot of the new gun another ono was on! By the time I got the fish up, they had moved on and Matt said that he missed a shot. It was rough and I told him to duck down about ten ft and then line up.
We had told Joe that we would go back in at 12:00 and pick him up at the pier since he had to work half day on Sat. While loading his gear at the pier, the dark clouds moved in and it came down in buckets with 25-30 knot winds. It was howling. Rather than sit it out at the pier, Joe said lets get wet. It took us almost an hour to get to the spot we like to hunt. When we finally put the boat in idle forward, we heard a clanking sound...not good.:( We turned arond and idled back in. Back at the pier we thought it was the universals getting worn so we headed back home early. Sunday was forecast for light winds and no swell.....:cool: Sucks....
Sunday morning Matt, Pete and Joe came by and we took the leg off. Since it was so nice, Joe and Matt went out to look for onos with another friend. Pete, myself and Kaipo finished changing the universals by late afernoon.
Joe and Matt came back later in the evening with fish stories. They saw some nice onos and Joe shot one with his 55in GR rear plus hybrid!:thumps: Who says you need a big gun! He stoned it. It would have been interesting to see if his RA reel was up to the challenge but Joes such a good shot.
The boats back in action and we'll check out the onos next weekend.
Heres a few pictures of our onos and the nice crew that Joe and Matt got to dive with today.:D
We have one more try for Matt to get his ono Before his ship leaves. Wish him luck.

Aloha,Daryl

Smudge
12-01-2008, 02:41 AM
Yeah, Joe shoots an Ono with the reef gun and I shoot the papio with the super magnum! Talk about overkill on a little fish!

I gotta figure those things out before I leave!! I'd hate to hve to wait until next winter for another shot!

Qdiver911
12-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Now I understand why you did'nt answer the phone on Turkey Day!! Looking at the pics of your holiday time, I would'nt have my phone either. Cheers from The New england Family..... Happy Holidays.

settingsteel
12-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Nice report & nice fish WTG guys!

Daryl Wong
12-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Aloha Ted,

thanks for the nice T day message. By the time we get in each day its between 10-11:00 pm on the east coast. We need to get you and Patrick here one day to enjoy our islands. Its been cold here and your Onset sweater with the cable cutter logo has been keeping me warm. Its down to 70 degrees in the morning sometimes and the waters 78 degrees now. Pete is wearing his 5mm suit and Matt says he needs a new one. Take care and scoop a lot of clams for me!

Aloha,Daryl

jeffcroci
12-01-2008, 11:37 AM
hey that looks like a great time- I'm envious- not of the chop on the water though. congratulations on sucha nice weekend
jeff

Not Nate
12-01-2008, 12:09 PM
The first one came in close withing 8ft, but I got greedy and swung my new 61 in bull barrel magnum hybrid 90 degrees to shoot at the two bigger Onos. They were farther off and quartering. I took a shot and missed! :eek:

Aloha,Daryl

Daryl, this kind of honesty is why I like you so much. I like this report due to the candor and honesty. Most guys I know have done this exact same thing (ignore an easy shot on a smaller fish to try for a lower percentage shot on a larger fish)and to read that one of the most experienced guys fess up about it is just cool. I think anyone who has dealt with Daryl will agree he's a straight shooter.

X-DIVER
12-03-2008, 02:33 AM
Hey Joe,
That sure is a big smile that your sporting there....lol