PDA

View Full Version : Spearfishing Question

Fishbuster
03-13-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm new to diving and am interested in spearfishing, but i was wondering when your spearfishing how do you tell the size of snappers, groupers, etc without shooting them(just by looks)?:confused: Does it just come naturally after awhile or can you notice a difference between a legal and illegal fish? Also if you shoot an illegal fish what do you do with it once you shoot it and realize its too small? But when I spearfish I plan on shooting the bigger fish anyhow but its just out of curiousity. Thanks for the help

Spear One
03-13-2004, 11:14 AM
It will come in time, but in order to minimize "bycatch" try to get someone who is familiar with "legal" fish to go down with you and point out the ones which are, and are not legal, before you shoot anything.

f94gator
03-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Just gotta get used to it and, like Spear One said, dive with someone who knows.
Rule of thumb; if there's any doubt it's legal, don't shoot it, 'cause chances are when you take a look at it topside, it's going to be short.

junior
03-13-2004, 12:45 PM
When I first started spearing, I measured the length of my fins and used them for a reference. I would look at my fin and then look at the fish to get an idea of it's size. Also, some guys put marks on their guns at measured intervals. By looking at a known length underwater, it gives you a reference. And after time, like the other guys said, you get used to what a legal size fish looks like. If ever in doubt, it probably is not legal. Good luck.

FredT
03-13-2004, 01:04 PM
If you visit most fishing shows, and some tackle supply places, various adult beverage companies make handy adhesive measuring gauges (stickers) with the legal lengths of the area's most common targets marked for attachment to a bots gunwale. They are too wide to fit on a gun, but a few seconds with a straight edge and razor blade will prune the add space off and leave the marked scale. Budwieser is the one supplying them locally but I've seen them with Miller and a few other brands as well.

As an alternate MSC carries a 1/2" wide mylar adhesive rule designed to be attached to a bench top in lengths up to 10'. The 60" or 72" versions will do a nice gun mounted reference and not look as tackey. Cost for these is under $10

FT

Charlestondivin
03-13-2004, 01:09 PM
I used to put marks with a black marker on my gun for Grouper, Flounder, etc. Helps you judge when you have something else to look at.

biggsy
03-13-2004, 05:58 PM
You will get used to it in time but I agree, if there is any doubt, dont shoot it. There are plenty of legal guys out there. Grouper tend to have a wider and thicker look to them when legal. The smaller ones look more streamline and dont have that bloated belly or pregnant look to them.

biggsy

f94gator
03-14-2004, 11:15 AM
I have those marks on my gun and, honestly, I hardly ever use them. The only time I do is if I've already shot something and I'm not sure if it's legal.

Fishbuster
03-14-2004, 12:32 PM
oh ok thanks guys....i figured that experience will be the main part, but if it looks small im not going to shoot it because i know there will be other fish out there either on that dive or the next. ill probably put some marks on the gun just for a reference also. but thanks again.

Fishbuster
03-14-2004, 10:35 PM
what if you shot a fish that you thought was legal but bring it to the boat and you find out its illegal....what would you do with the fish?

greyface
03-15-2004, 05:57 AM
If ya bring a short on board, you will be more worried about your pride, than what to do with the fish!:D

biggsy
03-15-2004, 07:24 AM
After that it gets chucked back overboard to be recycled into the ecosystem.

Screen Name
03-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Fishbuster
what if you shot a fish that you thought was legal but bring it to the boat and you find out its illegal....what would you do with the fish?

Smack yourself in the side of the head with it. ;)

Just dont shoot small fish and you will be OK. What everybody said was "If you are not sure, don't shoot it". One of the main advantages to spearfishing is that we have nearly no bycatch.

Denny
03-15-2004, 08:16 AM
The first small fish is a lesson. The second one must be consumed raw by the errant shooter. A by catch of 0% will surely follow.:D
And when they say it should look big... they mean it should look BIG.

straight shaft
03-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Sorry, Fellas. My appologies! Remind me not to drink and post.

Fishbuster
03-20-2004, 03:48 PM
no harm done(i know it was wrong to post) but we are all friends here and dont need any arguements. this is just for an informative post

straight shaft
03-21-2004, 07:05 PM
BTW, Denny,

Although I retracted my post as per your request, I'm sure most of the members who read it aknowledged it as a joke, as it was intended. The fact that you interpreted as something other than that leaves others to believe that maybe you're wound up a little too tight...lighten up! If we were to take everything written on this forum seriously, then your statement of "the second fish will be consumed raw by the errant shooter" would lead us to believe that it is legal to consume an undersize fish. Let me take this time to quote Fishbuster: "We're all friends here".

Sincerely,

Julio:)

richhermes
03-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by straight shaft
BTW, Denny,

Although I retracted my post as per your request, I'm sure most of the members who read it aknowledged it as a joke, as it was intended. The fact that you interpreted as something other than that leaves others to believe that maybe you're wound up a little too tight...lighten up! Let me take this time to quote Fishbuster: "We're all friends here".

Sincerely,

Julio:)

Julio,

Several posts and photos from this board have been used by our "opposition" and presented completely out of context in supporting an anti-spearfishing argument. I would always keep this in mind when posting.

I personally did not read your post, but if indeed it was taken out of context, would it still hold the intended meaning?? Probably not.
Denny is a well-respected member of the spearfishing community and I think the LAST adjective anyone would use to describe him would be "wound up a little too tight"

:D

straight shaft
03-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Rich,

Sorry you didn't read my post. I'm sure you would have laughed as well!

Denny
03-22-2004, 06:12 AM
Julio- You comment WAS humorous. And this board is all about friends. And I am funny as hell. However...
I am in a position where I will tend to catch the first shots fired over a spearboard.com post in any fisheries management situation. As such, sometimes I may appear 'wound too tight' when posting warnings about comments that could be taken WAY out of context. I assure you, I am not 'too tight'.
Want your spearfishing rights defended? Try doing it while the regulators and enviros read THESE spearboard posts, just looking for illegal and unsportsman like postings.
Are you currently active in the fisheries management process in your area? Want to help?
I'd love to sit down over a 12 pack and fill you in.
Stone 'em,
Denny

straight shaft
03-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Well Denny, there you go proving me wrong!

You're an O.K. guy afterall. I guess some things are better understood when heard than when read. Anyways, let me let you in on my side of the Fisheries Management. I build custom guns from one banded Euro guns to 5 banded Bluewater Cannons, some which I'm sure you've seen on eBay under Graciasub Spearguns. Unlike my misguiding post, I am a true conservation-minded individual with a somewhat unorthodox sense of humor. As far as the twelve pack, let's leave it at six...you saw where the drinkin' got me the last time!:D

Denny
03-22-2004, 09:04 PM
So, we won't POST the funny stuff. :D
Thanks, Julio. Perhaps you could put up a picture of a couple of your guns here. I'd like to see what they look like.

straight shaft
03-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Denny,

I think maybe we should slide over to the "All About Guns" section. I don't want to take away from Fishbuster's original post. Or you can visit my website at www.graciasubspearguns.com. Although they are old pics and the site hasn't been serviced in quite a while, you get an idea of what I'm about.

Fishbuster
03-24-2004, 08:19 PM
nah its fine about posting the things....if it helps me and/or someone else in spearfishing where its from a simple question to mine or things about spear guns its all fine b/c im learning this sport but slowly(still a newbie)