PDA

View Full Version : What tip with Gat-ku?

Silentspear
12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
I am planning on getting a 7' Gat-ku, but I am having some trouble deciding if I should get a paralyzer or a flopper tip. I would prefer to have a floatline running off the back incase I need to drop the spear for any reason or let a big Hali run. What do you guys think? I really would prefer not to maim any fish but would prefer the cheaper paralyzer.

I will be targeting Calico, halibut, sand bass, and sculpin.

All thoughts are appreciated. Thank you!!!!

FishHunter
12-22-2008, 02:06 PM
I'd go w/ the Gat-Ku slip-tip if it's halibut you're after. :beer:

fishpkt
12-22-2008, 02:14 PM
I have a 7' gat-ku. The paralyzer is great, but looking back I should have gone with an unfixed polespear so that I could switch over to a flopper for larger fish.

I'll be talking to Dustin come spring time. I'm going to order another front end with a flopper.

Steve

Silentspear
12-22-2008, 02:20 PM
What about getting calico or sand bass with a paralyzer?

So-Cal Spearo
12-22-2008, 02:39 PM
What about getting calico or sand bass with a paralyzer?

Paralyzer will do work on bass as long as there within range. I almost always exclusively use the slip tip on my gat-ku.

Silentspear
12-22-2008, 04:27 PM
So you think 7' with Paralyzer and floatline would do the trick as long as I secure halibut with my other hand?

So-Cal Spearo
12-22-2008, 04:43 PM
So you think 7' with Paralyzer and floatline would do the trick as long as I secure halibut with my other hand?

Theres always a better chance of stoning halibut with the paralyzer because you have three sticks going through the fish rather than one.

I have had halibut up to 16lbs just freeze when getting hit with the paralyzer. Ive noticed that with the sliptip, fish tend to fight much harder because they are not constricted with a shaft going through them.

azspearo
12-22-2008, 06:51 PM
I would go this route http://www.gatku.com/index_files/page0017.htm
It will be the most hydrodynamic and I feel a shaft with a single flopper is the best all around set-up.

A floatline works great with a polespear, my reef rig is 50' with a simple hard rope buoy attached at the end. http://image.bargainoutfitters.com/image/6/66550.JPG

patrick
12-23-2008, 03:49 PM
if youre targeting sculpin, definitely use the paralyzer. no good can come from a sliptip into the rocks... the paralyzer holds a lot better than a flopper that has not penetrated far enough to toggle, and you can take free swimming fish pretty easily, as long as you dont pull the spear back towards you to subdue the fish.. i swim up the polespear and get ahold of them quick, and if necessary i can just push them further down the tines. if youre just going to have one tip, my vote goes for the ol' trusty 3 prong. the gat ku holds a lot better than any others ive tried. i bent my tines out so theyre about 1/2" apart...

just dont plan on letting any fish "run" when using the paralyzer..

Silentspear
12-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Went to J n J today. I'm sure I'm gonna get the 7 fixed head... :D

OceanEd
12-23-2008, 06:41 PM
For the bigger Calico's and halibut I would think I would agree with Aaron. Sometimes the paralyzer just will not hold.

patrick
12-23-2008, 07:35 PM
For the bigger Calico's and halibut I would think I would agree with Aaron. Sometimes the paralyzer just will not hold.

thats why god gave fish a brain :D ive taken a 10# sheephead free swimming in open water with the 3 prong.. just gotta shoot well and be quick, but youve got more polespear experience than i do, so im not telling you anything you dont know already..

i would wait for the detachable head polespear, rather than a fixed head. if you happen to damage the tip, or want to try a different style, youll be glad you did.