PDA

View Full Version : New to Spearboard/ Hawaiian Spearfishing?

Powers
01-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post, although I have enjoyed reading them for a while. There is certainly a wealth of knowledge here. I found Sebastian with Punta Mita Expeditions while exploring here a few months ago and had a great trip with him, so I am hoping for some more help.

My name is Will and I am currently landlocked in Austin, Texas. I try to get to the Gulf Coast around Corpus Christi as often as possible to spear the oil rigs. Amberjack and Red Snapper are my favorite local targets.

I do oil and gas regulatory work, so Spearboard is a welcome relief from hours of staring at the computer. The pictures and fishing reports are great, and all these threads about building your own gun have me excited to dust off my woodworking tools.

My wife's family and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in September. The trip starts in Honolulu for the first week, but after that, we have no set plan. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best island for spearing? Spear guides? Favorite species to target or prohibited species? Favorite Hawaiian Cocktail:cocktail::beer:? Local spearfishing customs (We want to be respectful)?

We can do guns or slings, although one in our group would prefer slings.

Thanks in advance,

Will

Blesum
01-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Oahu is supposedly the worst island to spear at. Lots of fishing/spearing pressure here for a while. My experience on the other islands is rather minimal. I've only gone spearing a few times at Niihau, Molokai, Lani, Maui and the Big Island.

I saw the most uhus on lani.

Most ukus and onos at Niihau,

Most bugs on Maui,

Most perch/nenues on Molokai

dumbest uhus on the Big Island.

Dang, I haven't dived Kauai yet. I'll have to try that one next. :D

General rules:

99% us free-dive only. No tanks.

Only shoot what you WILL eat. If you shoot something crappy, too bad. You're eating it.

Be aware of the closed zones.

Leave the uhus alone if you can, they're vital for the reef's health.

Shoot all the Rois (Peacock Groupers) you want. You don't even have to eat them. Use them for chum or donate them to the UH cig study program.

Watch out for the Kala's sharp barbs in the tail.

Every diver is required to be within 50 feet of a 14" X 14" dive flag when on the surface.

Sharks don't bite here. Much. Hawaiians believe that sharks are their ancestors. Don't shoot or put holes in them unless they are really attacking you. They're usually just curious or they just want to sample your shot fish. Sometimes they just want to be petted. :lol:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e210/Blesum/Shark%20Dive/DSC00877-2.jpg

Head over to the Hawaii Skin Diver forums for a bigger hawaiian diving group and to hook up with some locals.

-Paul

P.S. No idea why the photo won't load. It appears to be properly formatted... :(

Powers
01-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks Paul,

This is very helpful. We are strict freedivers and we always eat everything we catch.

My wife would leave me if she found out I shot a parrotfish (Her favorite) so we are safe there.

I'll be on the hunt for Peacock Grouper. I love to take invasive species.

As for the sharks, it's their water, not mine. I have donated many fish to the tax man over the years...

Here is a link to some shark friends of ours swarming after dining on some hogfish carcasses in the Bahamas,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B33Il8PpE4&feature=channel_page

Many thanks,

Will

Blesum
01-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Sounds like you're a good candidate for a Hawaii visit. :thumps:

Here is a link to some shark friends of ours swarming after dining on some hogfish carcasses in the Bahamas,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B33Il8PpE4&feature=channel_page

Aw, cute minnows. :lol:

-Paul

tw1012
01-11-2009, 01:27 PM
I thought the uhus ate the reef? And I also thought they were very tasty and one of the locals favorite meals? Florida has a ban on shooting them and as a result they are everywhere in the hundreds and there is almost no reef left.

Please correct me if I have made any false assumptions.

blaiz
01-17-2009, 06:51 PM
I thought the uhus ate the reef? And I also thought they were very tasty and one of the locals favorite meals? Florida has a ban on shooting them and as a result they are everywhere in the hundreds and there is almost no reef left.

Please correct me if I have made any false assumptions.

Its true that Uhu here it coral but are more important to the reef ecosystems in that they eat algae and help keep the coral populations healthy and clean.

Blesum
01-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Yeah, there's an outcry going on in the marine community about the take of uhus and the reef's health. It's starting to become looked down upon. Yes, they're tasty, and I hunted them here and there until the recent perception change. Now I leave them alone.

Also there is an upcoming meeting about imposing restrictions on the take of uhus soon.

-Paul