PDA

View Full Version : Spearfishing the great northwest

Samson
01-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Having spearfished in Mexico, Florida, and back home in Idaho.. I was very excited to find out what it would be like here in our new home in Washington... The spearing is pretty good... the politics are discusting.
A local gal here organized a spearfishing event last summer for newbys.... The end result was the general powers that be here in the diving community resorted to threats and intimidation factors to get the event cancelled...

We are looked on as vile predators depleating our fair oceans of fish.....sad....

I miss Florida.....

BTW.... Im Samson... new to the board......

Tino Bernazzani
01-12-2009, 01:24 PM
What about diving for crab?
I thought it was crab season right now up there?

I got a limit of dungi's a couple of years ago freediving out of Mukilteo Oil Docks.

You should contact "Pablo" (out of Seattle) if you have not already (for freediving).

Oh and are you a freediver or primarily scuba?

Samson
01-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Both actually... I love to Scuba, but I also freedive..... Crab season is over till next June... We have only Surf perch and flounder to shoot at unless we get out on the coast....

Tino Bernazzani
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I remember seeing tons of flounder on the bottom.
They were small some ~10-16" long.
Very cool diving though, with good viz under the murk.

rwc
01-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Samson - check it out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bottomsounders/

Finbreaker
01-14-2009, 07:28 PM
I too, am coming to the Pacific Northwest, Bremerton to be exact. I am a little depressed because right now I am living, diving and spearing in the pacific islands, Guam (not very good), Yap, Pohnpei, and the Marshalls. I was under the impression that I would be on a plane a lot going to Mexico and other places, but can I actually spear some fish in the Northwest?

Samson
01-15-2009, 10:22 AM
In the Sound you are reduced to a 15 day Ling cod season, a 4 month or so Cabezon season, and then year round surf perch, flat fish, etc....
If you get out to the Strait of Juan De Fuca by Neah Bay, there are much greater limits and possibilities including Rock fish, and sea bass,... which you cannot shoot in the Sound....

c. carcharias
01-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I too, am coming to the Pacific Northwest, Bremerton to be exact. I am a little depressed because right now I am living, diving and spearing in the pacific islands, Guam (not very good), Yap, Pohnpei, and the Marshalls. I was under the impression that I would be on a plane a lot going to Mexico and other places, but can I actually spear some fish in the Northwest?

Bremerton, Wow im sorry.

But there is some good freediving to be had.

cjgrillo
04-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I live in Port Angeles stationed at the air station. i want to go dive of the ediz hook but what are the rules, regs and whats in season?