PDA

View Full Version : Sunday lookin' good...

greyface
01-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Leaving early out of Matanzas Inlet on the "Full Effect". Lookin' to try a coupla new #'s, a small rock pile & small tug. Will monitor 68 for any other NE Fl. slingers. Looks like short dick temps... :eek:

inletsurf
01-05-2003, 02:58 PM
That's the kind of temps where you lose your balls to your stomach for a couple of days!!!!!

greyface
01-05-2003, 09:06 PM
I'm such a greenie. Or a pussy. Or a green pussy. :( Y'all can make the call...Seas were 1'-2' after many days of wind, water real snotty. I've never in my life seen so many jellyfish. Literally tens of thousands. Get to our spot, only 11 miles out, can't see down the anchor line very far at all. Air temp 57 deg. Surface temp 59. 68' deep. I get to tryout my new wetsuit & hood. While donning our gear, my buddy knocks his Biller overboard. :rolleyes: Just one of those days. We roll out of the boat. :eek: Definately the coldest water my rookie ass has ever dove. :eek: The water seemed dark, couldn't see bottom until right on it. Vis maybe 10'. Saw a few sheepshead in the snotty distance. I don't know exactly why, but I was pretty uncomfortable. I think I was a few pounds too heavy, in my new layered suit. The hood was definately distracting, mask was leakin' purty good. It was so dark, I could barely read my gauges. Bottom temp was 63 deg. In the murky distance, there stood the Biller! My buddy hates cold water, I hate shitty vis, so at that point we called the dive. A whopping 7 min. bottom time. Now, I'm sitting here, thinking I'm a pussy. I just wasn't comfortable down there today.:( I'll have to make up for it next time...

100days-a-year
01-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Smart thing to do is call the dive when you're not comfortable.I dive in cold and dark but somedays it's just more than I want to F$%& with.My favorite spot had lo-vis last year one day,I went anyway and was nearly bumped by a Mola.My pants stayed clean but I figured it was time to bend a rod.63 is a good temp for stupid grouper,try some culverts next time ,they seem to offer a sense of perspective in lo-vis that makes me comfortable.And pussies don't even try to dive in the winter here.

dlock
01-06-2003, 04:19 PM
rule#1...if you don't feel right/comfortable- scrap the dive!!!! You made the right call greyface.

greyface
01-06-2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks, fellers, I feel better about my decision, now. At the time, I felt it was the thing to do. Once at home, I wasn't so sure. I have a feeling that spot had some keeper gags. I'll have to go back and see...:D

Steel Shootin'
01-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Definitely the right call. I had to call a dive once, in freezing water at 110' in pitch black conditions I had a "dark narc." It was the only dive that I have ever felt completely uncomfortable. I woouldn't hesitate to come up from a dive.

BobK
01-07-2003, 08:28 AM
The cool thing about living here is you can always dive again soon. I wimp out on offshore fishing for the same reasons. Seas are 3 - 5, why go ? I can try again next weekend ! Same with diving. If you don't feel like it, for any reason at all, don't. It's not like you have to fly home to Utah in a couple of days :-)