PDA

View Full Version : Razors anyone??

hwhisman
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
I've never posted here before as I've never had much to say. Read a lot though. My buds and I hit the boat ramp in Brookings whenever the seas lay down and the viz is half decent and we've done quite well there harvesting the usual fare over the last several years.

Always looking for something new we've been thinking about how we could maybe get some razor clams on scuba. We've been trying to find a good window to go and dig some but it seems like most times when the tide is decent it's either dark or the seas are up or both so I had the great idea of maybe just waiting until the seas were right and just go at high tide. Looking at the literature one finds that there are a lot of clams that never ever see a dry beach so it would follow that the best clam beds would be further out than any land lubbing clammer could get to so...

In Oregon the regs state the clams must either be dug with a shovel or a clam gun so I'm thinking maybe strap on an extra 20 lbs of lead to make it easier to stay down and enlarge the hole on top of the gun to allow the water to escape and maybe a guy could make out pretty well.

Have any of you guys ever heard of anyone trying something like that?

wkyongae
02-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Up here in WA my kids are fast enough to just grab em and pull the clam out of the sand. They (kids) say that the clam is just under the sand near the surface when the clam blows water out. I think that is where they are all the time until something comes along and disturbs them. So if you are fast on the grab it might just work. Don't forget to take a small shovel or clam gun to satisfy OR regs. Won't work up here WA regs. ugh