PDA

View Full Version : release

WALLEYE1
02-11-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, or maybe this idea would be missing the point of pole spears, but...

Has anyone ever thought of using a release for a compound hunting bow on their pole spear? You could run the rubber through the wrist strap and then connect the jaws of the release to a ring of some sort near where the grip would be.

Or you could have your wrist in with the rubber. Then you wouldn't have to worry about losing the spear.

It kind of takes away the primitive aspect of pole spears but you would have the spear constantly loaded and then pull the trigger to fire it.

This sounds an awful lot like a speargun! lol. I am just thinking of things as I plan my pole spear build. I most likely wont use a release, just wondering what you guys think.

Silentspear
02-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Most just use a floatline. Do a search.

WALLEYE1
02-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Look at this

mnguy
02-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Look at this

The question then becomes "Why bother polespearing?"

If you're going to be putting around with a trigger activated device, you might as well just bring a speargun. You'll get the same range or better in a safer and more compact package. Safety is the most important part of it, IMO. Something like that could easily get jarred when it contacts the bottom and then you have a polespear butt to the solar plexus or face.

a.s.alvarez
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
I think it is a VERY interesting idea. You would not be able to use it in the bahamas because it has a trigger. But I like it.

Smudge
02-11-2009, 07:29 PM
My release cost me about $75 and I don't think its rated for all day submersion in saltwater!! I think I'll stick with using my hand for now... :D :D

Silentspear
02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
I think I took that the wrong way :D ^^^^ :lol: