PDA

View Full Version : Polespears

polespearpaul
02-19-2009, 06:57 PM
I am going to get me a new polespear and I have narrowed it down to 3. The Manny Puig, Gatku, or the fold spear. I have heard alot about all of them except the fold spear (any body have one). I have never seen one but it looks ok. I am looking for a strong, light, easy to manuver that can take 1-20 lb. fish. tell me what you would get. PLEASE.
Thank you

Silentspear
02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
That fits the description of a Gat-ku with a slip tip or flopper.

patrick
02-19-2009, 07:20 PM
gat ku ftw! i love those things. cant wait to try out my new flopper tip.. and a+ service!

Silentspear
02-19-2009, 07:33 PM
For all the non-nerds out there, ftw = for the win.

[/nerdness]

patrick
02-19-2009, 07:35 PM
For all the non-nerds out there, ftw = for the win.

[/nerdness]

<nerdiness border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
true nerds use html tags

</nerdiness>

Silentspear
02-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't believe it........ someone just un-nuhrd-afryed me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jspear57
02-19-2009, 07:45 PM
I have a foldspear. Its not bad, at least for small fish. Ive taken barracuda, grouper, snapper and other smaller stuff on it in the Bahamas and some nice tog in nj. Never gotten anything bigger than 15lbs or so on it. Dont know how it would hold up against anything over 20 or 25lbs. Definately convenient and easy to travel with since it folds up so small.

Silentspear
02-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Gat-ku's come as 2 pieces, cut in the middle.

patrick
02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Gat-ku's come as 2 pieces, cut in the middle.

yup. makes my nine foot gatku really easy to stow on my 13' boat. dustin recently upgraded my band, and the spear is ungodly fast now.. if you decide on the 9 or 10' model, be sure to get dustin to put the grip on it. its only a token payment extra, and really saves your hand when using the larger rubbers on the longer spears. and definitely get the detachable head spear, it gives you more flexibility. i have all 3 types of tips, and they are all useful for different situations.

SnpperWhisperer
02-19-2009, 08:10 PM
You can't go wrong with the Manny Puig (3 pieces). I find a long single flopper is the best tip for that weight range. Aaron Crist makes a similar weight spear (various lengths) that may well be cheaper and also very good quality. There are also others available in that category.
I haven't tried the other two (still hopful the Gat ku fairy will send me a promo one?!) but expect they would be lighter and hence better on smaller fish but less good on fish over 10 pounds.

As you can see, these spears all have small niches in which they may be better than their competitors.

OceanEd
02-20-2009, 08:12 AM
The fold spear will take larger fish. I have taken grouper up to 40 lbs just to find out.

I think you will be happiest with the Gat-Ku or an Aaron Crist. They are completely different in design so it really depends on your personal preference.

diveasr
02-20-2009, 07:07 PM
i reccomend the manny puig, it has worked good for me so far!
its a bit slower than the normal yellow fiberglass one, but it has so much punchpower that i think it is worth it!
have never tried gatku, foldspear or jbl
a crist spear is IMO too heavy and strong for your target fish
a henley is even heavier and stronger

elnq
02-21-2009, 12:59 PM
What do you guys think about Ray Odor Polespears? I bought one but a friend of mine managed to lose it before I could give it a real try. It's the only polespear I've owned and want to replace it.
There is a big $$$ difference between the Odor and the one's you've mentioned, but is the difference equal in quality?

Thanks for your help

Totoop
02-21-2009, 01:16 PM
If pole spears were sexual positions the ray odor would me missionary. Its plain, simple, and straightforward but in the end it gets the job done. I have never heard anybody who was disappointed with a ray odor.

EJM
02-21-2009, 09:49 PM
for all the non-nerds out there, ftw = for the win.

[/nerdness]

thank you!

johnny7
02-23-2009, 05:16 PM
I am looking for a strong, light, easy to manuver that can take 1-20 lb. fish. tell me what you would get. PLEASE.
Thank you

20lb FISH !!

www.cristspears.com

benjaminserrano
03-29-2009, 04:16 PM
:thumps:i had a hard time finding a fast polespear.i owned 2 riedels ,1 manny puig and1 crist polespear.these are great hard hitting polespears!!each of these spears had a 5\8 thick amber latex band .man!they are faster and way more powerful now!!! ,but for catching ocean whites and calico,you need the right weapon for the job.i was very frustrated everytime i went into stealth mode with scuba ( not an easy feat) and got within 3 feet from my target only to scare it by a slow moving weapon.:cussing:these fish can have very fast reflexes!!!you need a light shaft ,fast band and great tip.so this is how i made a 22\250(fastest rifle round ever!) type polespear.i got my jbl 6 foot one piece(these are the lightest metal spears around.i don't care for fiberglass very much.)).i use a 1\2 inch amber latex band.as for a tip ,i used one of my manny puig shafts that i cut to 11 inches and threaded for a jbl tip.i connected it to the jbl with an adaptor.as for a tip i used a jbl spinning rock tip with double flappers( i don't use a break away because they take longer to remove the fish.).i use this tip in the closed position which i set the locking ring like a hair trigger.problem is solved.:gun: :whistle:

azspearo
03-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Nice to see you on the Board Ben. I still want to see that picture of that 20lb Ling you shot last year. Ben is a serious pole sticker and we have talked about some of his adventures over the phone.
I made a spear to his specs last year and one of the 5/8" sling I sent with the spear had a 90lbs draw weight.

Ben, I may be going on the Sand Dollar in the middle of May out to San Clemente and Catalina. Let me know if your interested.

classtimesailer
04-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Ben,
How do you attach the 1/2 inch rubber to your JBL? Like the original rubber or with a cord like the Crist? I agree there is a difference in speed. Does the 5/8 inch band on your Crist make the speed comparable to the JBL? (I have each in 6 ft.)

You can do without the adapter if you get an AB Biller shaft that threads directly on the end of the JBL. I got the 12 inch flopper, but they have a threaded shaft also for your tips.
Jeff

benjaminserrano
09-08-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm back online, i really missed you guy's ! I'm still using my Crist polespear. Great piece of work !:gun:

Bahama king242
09-09-2013, 07:42 AM
I have used all three of these spears and this is what I found. the polespears I always use are the Manny and the Foldspear. I used the Gat-Ku for a little bit and found the slip tips to be problematic but the floppers work really well. The worst luck I have had and other spearos on my boat have encountered is with the Seastinger spears they always manage to break or the tip manages to fail on you.

Paulus68
09-09-2013, 12:36 PM
There's also little to no talk about Linghunt or the new JBL Shaka...

azspearo
09-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Good to see your back on Ben. I know you have lots of stories and pics so post some up. You still diving the rigs?

Linghunt
09-09-2013, 04:18 PM
There's also little to no talk about Linghunt or the new JBL Shaka...

The Keller pole spear did not get mentioned either.

I like the Gat-ku and Crist spears. Aaron and Dustin stand behind their products. (Period) That part of the equation gets over looked, beyond normal business practices. You call a large manufacturer, your not going to get to talk to the "main man" behind the products.

Service is always a big part from my perspective. I've been spun out before with faulty products. Have you?

The good thing is there are lots of choices and options out there with a variety of concepts and approaches.

-John

Paulus68
09-09-2013, 04:38 PM
The Keller pole spear did not get mentioned either.

I like the Gat-ku and Crist spears. Aaron and Dustin stand behind their products. (Period) That part of the equation gets over looked, beyond normal business practices. You call a large manufacturer, your not going to get to talk to the "main man" behind the products.

Service is always a big part from my perspective. I've been spun out before with faulty products. Have you?

The good thing is there are lots of choices and options out there with a variety of concepts and approaches.

-John

Yes, I see there are lots of choices, and that's a good thing. Service should always be a big part. Mine was just curiosity since you hear lots about some spears and nearly nothing about others....

surfr716
09-15-2013, 09:20 PM
:thumps:i had a hard time finding a fast polespear.i owned 2 riedels ,1 manny puig and1 crist polespear.these are great hard hitting polespears!!each of these spears had a 5\8 thick amber latex band .man!they are faster and way more powerful now!!! ,but for catching ocean whites and calico,you need the right weapon for the job.i was very frustrated everytime i went into stealth mode with scuba ( not an easy feat) and got within 3 feet from my target only to scare it by a slow moving weapon.:cussing:these fish can have very fast reflexes!!!you need a light shaft ,fast band and great tip.so this is how i made a 22\250(fastest rifle round ever!) type polespear.i got my jbl 6 foot one piece(these are the lightest metal spears around.i don't care for fiberglass very much.)).i use a 1\2 inch amber latex band.as for a tip ,i used one of my manny puig shafts that i cut to 11 inches and threaded for a jbl tip.i connected it to the jbl with an adaptor.as for a tip i used a jbl spinning rock tip with double flappers( i don't use a break away because they take longer to remove the fish.).i use this tip in the closed position which i set the locking ring like a hair trigger.problem is solved.:gun: :whistle:

Not to hijack the thread but 220 swift and 30/378 weatherby both out shoot the 22/250 as far as velocity. I think of the 2 the swift has the edge with attainable velocities of 4800 FPS ! The venerable 250 while being extremely easy to load for and accurate to boot tops out realistically at 4200 FPS the 250 AI can touch 4400 with proper barrel lengths.

Back to the topic: I played with a friends sea stinger and that thing is lightning fast, not sure about durability but it's ungodly quick. Been thinking about getting either a Crist or an odor for a while and recently started drawing up ideas to build my own, have access to a friend with a CNC lathe and t6 aluminum is cheap...

Juan Carballo
09-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Hey Paul,
Just came back from the Bahamas a week ago and had great success with a Keller. don't mean to derail you from your options but after three trips and a lot of trial and error this pole spear worked out to be the best for big game. I've heard good things about the Crist but have not had a chance to try it. So far I've used about 5 different pole spears which were great in different ways but ultimately, the Keller seemed to be the most complete and suitable for the big fish. Here's an outline of what I mean by complete:

1.A pole spear which is long enough to achieve reach in any circumstance.

2.Light enough to be able to travel and maneuver through the water with ease and
accuracy, yet heavy enough to have punch(penetrating power).

3.Durability! trust me, I like technology in conjunction with craftsmanship as much as the next guy, so I can be a
total sucker for the latest materials, shapes, and concepts. But the truth is, that if you're
hardcore and are looking to shoot big fish on the reef or pelagics in the blue, you don't
only need performance, you need a weapon that's tough...

4.The F'n slip-tip. Man has this been an issue... either they're great looking and finished
but function poorly, or work well but not consistent for all applications(concerning
deployment, size, tether system inefficiency, etc.)

5.The price. Should a pole spear cost more than a gun..?

In conclusion, go KELLER!!

Good luck with whatever you get and happy hunting buddy...

Juan

searun
09-16-2013, 10:54 PM
I have a RayOdor for holes and a SeaStinger Lightning for fish out on the rocks and in the sand. I really like the SeaStinger. On Lings bigger than about 15 pounds I have to shoot behind the gill plate just into the fillet to get a proper deployment of the slip tip. Smaller fish I can punch it through the head. I have had the Seastinger tip only go partially into a fish and that sucks because you aren't getting it out of that fish till you are at the cleaning table.

Overall I think it is a nice pole. I have not used a Crist or Gat-ku yet as there are very few pole spear guys up here in the PNW. I kinda want to try one before I drop that much on a pole spear again. Scuba shops only sell fiberglass Trident spears here. The Headhunter poles look nice too but they are much too long for our conditions.

Hope that helps.

surfr716
09-16-2013, 11:32 PM
I have a RayOdor for holes and a SeaStinger Lightning for fish out on the rocks and in the sand. I really like the SeaStinger. On Lings bigger than about 15 pounds I have to shoot behind the gill plate just into the fillet to get a proper deployment of the slip tip. Smaller fish I can punch it through the head. I have had the Seastinger tip only go partially into a fish and that sucks because you aren't getting it out of that fish till you are at the cleaning table.

Overall I think it is a nice pole. I have not used a Crist or Gat-ku yet as there are very few pole spear guys up here in the PNW. I kinda want to try one before I drop that much on a pole spear again. Scuba shops only sell fiberglass Trident spears here. The Headhunter poles look nice too but they are much too long for our conditions.

Hope that helps.

I had a similar issue with a slip tip last weekend, stoned a big perch but it got stuck in its head, needed a pair of channel locks to get the damned thing back. Needless to say kinda ended my dive for the day but taught me a lesson to keep pliers in the truck box. Also been having the problem of not being able to find gear in the Puget sound area. Fins , spears, anything at all spearfishing or even free diving related. You ask about it and people here just look at you like you pooped on their counter, even fishermen here shit on you for spearfishing. I don't get it. I'm finding the internet is the only place to find gear or refuge...

SnpperWhisperer
09-17-2013, 05:50 AM
Dunno how to avoid sliptips deploying inside fish, often happens inside gut cavity also. Hard to cut out but I figure just a fact of life?

searun
09-17-2013, 08:20 PM
I had a similar issue with a slip tip last weekend, stoned a big perch but it got stuck in its head, needed a pair of channel locks to get the damned thing back. Needless to say kinda ended my dive for the day but taught me a lesson to keep pliers in the truck box. Also been having the problem of not being able to find gear in the Puget sound area. Fins , spears, anything at all spearfishing or even free diving related. You ask about it and people here just look at you like you pooped on their counter, even fishermen here shit on you for spearfishing. I don't get it. I'm finding the internet is the only place to find gear or refuge...

There are a few spearo friendly shops but your experience is the norm. Tacoma Scuba and the Tacoma Lighthouse are spear friendly and have employees that fish. Neither carry anything for freediving other then socks.

I keep an extra tip as well. I am just going to be prepared and just assume it will happen occasionally.

searun
10-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Just adding on to this after the season is over. Using the Lightning pole spear for a full season. Shot many Lings up to 18 pounds this season. I am using a pole spear just to challenge myself. The Riffe 0s is so much easier. Anyway shot a bunch of Lings and rockfish with the Seastinger and felt like it was a good season. I am now shooting behind the gill plate and having 100% success. Not where I want to shoot but that's where I NEED to shoot. Made it through the whole season with the one tip. Did have to detach it a few times though due to getting it buried and unretrievable.

I plan on buying a Crist or a Gat-Ku this winter to test next season. Next season I am going to give a flopper tip an extended try out. Can't wait for April...

Ballenita
11-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Was in Bimini 3 weeks ago. We had 2 Riffe, 2 Manny Puigs, 1 headhunter, and my Crist Spear. To make a long story short, everybody wanted to hunt with the Crist spear after one person used it. Every one was shocked and very amazed at the way the crist spear performed that day. It was light enough to move fast, but heavy enough to punch through some big fish. At the end of the day, it was all about that damn crist spear. By the way, the smallest fish that was shot that day was a 5 pound Hogfish. It was an awesome day.

jag39
11-17-2013, 01:10 PM
I recently got one of the linghunt pole spears. Haven't had it in the water yet, but have been impressed practicing on cardboard boxes. It's a work of art to boot. Might check him out.

Snowking65
11-25-2013, 05:53 AM
http://s18.postimg.org/ga6b2q4e1/linghuntpole.jpgLinghunt Poles are Bad ass, Just went out for the 1st time. In 2 days got my 1st ever Fish on a Pole spear and got my 1st ever Legal ling-cod with one. The Key to my success was the Man who Made the PS John! You gotta check them out, The knurling grip rings are very nice feature.

Again My 1st time using a pole spear and I was on Fire. The vise was 20 Foot and 1 foot swell So it was epic day in North Cali water's!

BareFootViking
01-01-2014, 07:31 PM
I bent a Ray Odor spear right at the male threads. It's great that I can just throw that section away and cheaply replace it. However, I'd be leery of shooting a large reef fish that will hole up...I'm sure the spear will be instantly bent. I also find that it unscrews easily, so I add a o-ring on the male threads.

BTW, I bent the spear when I shot a large bug and held on too long.

Diver278
01-01-2014, 09:39 PM
I have the fold spear. It's ok but I think it's slow.But nice for traveling. Going to get a new pole spear this year.