03-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Spearguns are out, polespears are in!

Edit: VIDEO has arrived! http://www.vimeo.com/3553489

kjflyfish
03-08-2009, 03:33 PM
speedy koheru

SnpperWhisperer
03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
That's the way. Those are pretty big pink maomao.

azspearo
03-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Nice job Kolt, is that your Dad with you? How are you rigging your slip-tip? It looks like you have the slip-tip line running back through the end of the spear a la Gat-ku.

kjflyfish
03-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Nice job Kolt, is that your Dad with you? How are you rigging your slip-tip? It looks like you have the slip-tip line running back through the end of the spear a la Gat-ku.

Nah, that's Kerry - my Dad is still in Florida (Mom and Dad will be visiting next month).

I rigged my pole with a full breakaway system using my Plamen Kolev slip-tip. it works like a charm. I do remember the thread where Dustin was talking about breakaway rigs and I took a lot of ideas from that. Didn't need it with the kingfish, though - stoned him :D.

kjflyfish
03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Here’s the short version of the long story complete with incomplete sentances – I woke up at 3:30 and met Kerry at his house, we fueled up and headed to Gisborne. 12 miles out to South Rock with a long-period 1-2 meter swell and hardly any wind. Set the hook on top of the rock, hop in and greeted with a hazy 12-15m vis. Tons of pink maomao from 20 to 25 meters, koheru, trevally, blue maomao, big sweep, and a few rat kingys. We laid into the pinks to start then looked for other game, nailing a few koheru for sashimi and dug a couple crays. Looked for big kingfish for a long time, but no giants around. On my last dive, I saw a few decent kingfish and decided to go for it – I took a fairly long shot, but got great penetration and the slip-tip deployed perfectly. Didn’t get to test out the breakaway on fighting fish cuz I crunched him! Only did two dives less than 20 meters all day, needless to say, I’m tired! I've got video of spearing a pink maomao at 24m, will put up on Vimeo when I get a chance.

patrick
03-08-2009, 09:11 PM
wish i was there... :D
polespears are the way to go, you should try it with a monofin! its a whole different sport, the reef fish around here go absolutely bonkers seeing a dolphin with a stick. really tests your stalking ability...
thats a sweet sliptip!

kjflyfish
03-09-2009, 03:54 AM
thats a sweet sliptip!

You know it!

isibrigade
03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
That's it, I've seen too many photos. . . . .I'm going to NZ!

kjflyfish
03-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Finally got the video up!

http://www.vimeo.com/3553489

clavinr
03-10-2009, 10:51 PM
I love the Mahia Magic video! Great footage!

azspearo
03-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Nice vid. Now when someone asks to see a vid on how to use a spear, I'm pointing them to this vid.
I run my fish up the floatline the same way. I found if I get too many fish in the middle of the floatline they cause resistance and in return this can have an effect on tracking your spear and harder to get down. After one or two fish I run them up to the float.

azspearo
03-10-2009, 11:25 PM
That's it, I've seen too many photos. . . . .I'm going to NZ!

Dustin, I think the next Gat-ku Meet should be held in NZ....
Do you have a date set?

kjflyfish
03-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Nice vid. Now when someone asks to see a vid on how to use a spear, I'm pointing them to this vid.
I run my fish up the floatline the same way. I found if I get too many fish in the middle of the floatline they cause resistance and in return this can have an effect on tracking your spear and harder to get down. After one or two fish I run them up to the float.

Yeah, that fish got caught on the pigtail swivel and eventually worked it's way up to the float all by itself - I was bottoming out the floatline on most dives anyway. I used a 20' section of black floatline at the end of my hardline to try and get a little more steath - I think it worked well.

kjflyfish
03-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Dustin, I think the next Gat-ku Meet should be held in NZ....
Do you have a date set?

That would be awesome. The entry list would read:

Aaron
Dustin
Kolt
Reid (TheSnapperWhisperer)

Everyone gets a prize!

Polespearing hasn't caught on here like it has in CA, but the momentum is slowly building.

SnpperWhisperer
03-11-2009, 04:12 AM
next Gat-ku Meet should be held in NZ....
Yeah I'm in! I'll run it (have run a couple of National Champs comps before).

It may seem dreamlike to you guys out there in civilisation, but we do have more than our fair share of bad weather and poor visibility.

But then again, I guess it's not such a bad place when I admit I simply coudn't be bothered taking the easy shots presented to me by a few 20 - 30 pound yellowtail last week and came home with 2 good eating snapper from a kayak dive... to be fair our fish life is pretty abundant and large and generally more approachable than clear water dive locations. I have surprisingly little trouble getting most species with a pole.

Rather than me organise it though, you guys could all just come over for our Nationals in late January and we'll run our own division in the open competition. Or even a separate day if you want.

My buddy Pete The Pom would be in too. That's five. And Mario? Where's he got to these days anyhow?

kjflyfish
03-11-2009, 04:30 AM
I'd be all about it. It's hard to convince people that polespearing is so much fun, but with the right approach, a polespear comp could be just the ticket. It will bring a whole new dimension to competition diving here. If the fruits and nuts in California can do it (and with incredible turnouts), so can we. :D

It sounds funny that I'm saying this - I've been diving with a polespear for a grand total of 3 trips! :crazy:

azspearo
03-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Jan. 2010, thats tempting. Next year in June my wifes family wants to spend 10+ days in Aus, I told them they can count me out I'm going to NZ with my fellow Polestickers.
I'm putting it on the calendar. The dollar is getting stronger against the NZD so this could be very doable.

SnpperWhisperer
03-11-2009, 04:45 PM
It's not far to jet over here for the weekend, it's only a 3 hour flight from Sydney or Melbourne, and getting pretty cheap.

Kolt, you really need to stop even taking out those guns to make the full transition... I don't think my gun even functions now.

mnguy
03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Kolt, you really need to stop even taking out those guns to make the full transition... I don't think my gun even functions now.

Same here. I bought a nice Aimrite with a reel and everything. Shot it about 3 or 4 trips and haven't really used it much since. I like polespearing better still.

I really need to take it into the pool and give it a workout once the temp gets past the current 52 degs. At least the gauge doesn't just say "low" when I turn it on anymore.

kjflyfish
03-12-2009, 01:22 AM
It's not far to jet over here for the weekend, it's only a 3 hour flight from Sydney or Melbourne, and getting pretty cheap.

The transition has begun - I never even touched my gun on this trip. I am, however, breaking it back out for the North Island champs. I'm a sucker for prizes...:D

LA to Auckland: 13 hrs

Kelsea
03-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Great pics and vid, Kolt - those are some beautiful fish!

divingdesigns
03-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Great Video:thumps:, I just picked up a polespear and am learning with it before the gun. Where are you guys attaching your float lines on the pole? At the end of the pole or somewhere on the band? Thanks I am new to this.

kjflyfish
03-12-2009, 02:46 PM
You can attach it on the band for an easy and uncomplicated system suitable for small to medium fish, or you can attach it directly to the back of the pole for large fish, or use a full breakaway for the true bruisers. Here's the first method, courtesy of TheSnapperWhisperer:

Lo_B
03-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Nice video and good diving. Simple and effective, guess that's what make this type of hunting so exciting. Are these pinkies, bottom dwellers? They look like reef fish. Were you guys near the bottom, looked a little deeper? What's the water temp in that area?

divingdesigns
03-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the info, I will try this setup for small fish. Does the float line when tied to the back of the polespear slow the spear down at all, because it is dragging the line when you let it go? This is why is figured it better to tie off on the band, for smaller fish.

SnpperWhisperer
03-12-2009, 04:44 PM
LB: Pink maomao mainly hang in schools in front of pinnacles rising out of 30 metres of water or deeper, and the schools sometimes rise close to the surface, but are most often down in 10 - 30 metres. They feed on plankton/krill etc in the upwelling currents. Whilst they look like reef fish, they often seem to arrive out of the open sandy depths en masse, and then hang near a reef. The technique is to just drop down quietly and get close to them. If your approach is smoothe they won't spook, and may swim up to look at you. This of course is their fatal mistake! If spooked, they just keep swimming down and so can be hard to get. They are OK eating, but very often have a parisitic worm which is killed by cooking.
DD: Yes a floatline tied to the end of your spear will slow the spear as the spear when fired is having to drag the float. this is why the float must be attached to rubber in the area your hand grips.

kjflyfish
03-12-2009, 05:16 PM
TSW is right about the pinks - they love pins that rise out of deep water. I've taken them pretty shallow before, but on this trip they wouldn't come up above 20 meters. The best way to approach pinks is to dive down (or below) their level - unless there is a rock bottom, dropping directly on top of them doesn't work.

At this spot, the pin came up from deep water to about 18-20 meters. The floatline comes tight at 24m on the first dive, then I turned up and got the pinky at his level. In the second dive, you can see the pink swiming away and down from me. If there wasn't rock down there, I probably wouldn't have been able to get close enough.

As for the floatline - if you attach directly to the pole, you simply need to hold the floatline in your hand when loaded to acheive a resistance-free shot.

azspearo
03-12-2009, 05:52 PM
If you connect the floatline to the end of the spear you will want to have the floatline in your shooting hand when the spear is in the cocked/drawn position.
When you release the spear the floatline won't interfere with the poles forward progression because you have taken up that part of the floatline in your hand.
When I draw the rubber sling and floatline I take my shooting hand place the floatline and sling between my thumb and forefinger and with a relaxed grip on the pole I slide my hand up to where I have my grip. If there is too much friction with the floatline you can mark it with some electrical tape at the spot where it would be at when the spear is in the drawn position.
When you go to use it this way, take your shooting hand and place the marked floatline in the web of your hand and then your rubber sling and draw it up to you regular shooting position. I found that taglines or flaotlines that are made from rope require this method as they aren’t as slick as a plastic tubing floatline.
The most important part is to have the floatline come from the end of the spear and under your palm and exiting at the top of your hand. If you have it the opposite way you are putting a loop around your hand and this is knot good.
I have thought up a couple of other ways to rig a floatline to a polespear but haven’t tried them out yet to see if they’re safe.

seacrecher
03-13-2009, 10:07 AM
I have thought up a couple of other ways to rig a floatline to a polespear but haven’t tried them out yet to see if they’re safe.

Here is the method I learned from Richie Balta. It keeps the floatline coming over the top of the hand as you described and keeps the line from causing increased drag. The band also acts as a "shock cord".

Atmosphere
03-17-2009, 06:45 PM
For those of you attaching the floatline directly to the band, what are you doing to ensure the band doesn't snap under tension? You have spectra or some other line running through the core like a muzzle bungee?

That was my first though after looking at the puig and others utilizing this system. Definitely seems like the weak point in the rig.

SnpperWhisperer
03-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Perhaps it will be an issue when Kolt gets his first 500 kg bluefin tuna or marlin, but so far nobody's had one snap as far as we've heard.

deckhandmike
03-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Kolt you got any pics of your slip tip setup?

azspearo
03-17-2009, 11:42 PM
The band is not the weak link. The 1/2" od 1/4" hole polespear rubber I use on my spears has a max elongation of 750% and at 700% stretch has a pull weight of 824 lbs. Most floats have less the 100 lbs of lift.
Make sure the wishbone is in tip top shape and your constrictor knots are well tied. I have tried many types of cord for the constrictor knot and most hold up to regular use. Once subjected to double the typical draw weight from the normal 250%-300% stretch it's amazing to see the knot untie it self even tied as a double constrictor.
Overly waxed twine and cord that is dry seems to have the most problems with this. The dry cord/twine doesn't untie, it is not pulled tight enough when tied and the rubber shrinks to a size were it pulls off the wishbone.
Most spearos don't see this problem because they don't pull their bands past 300%. I only started to test my bands at this percent stretch when SnpperWhisperer shot that 47lbs Kingie and had his floatline tied to the sling.

kjflyfish
03-18-2009, 04:16 PM
I've just re-rigged my new pole with the floatline strait to the band and a Mori slip-tip. Will try to plug a fish asap.