PDA

View Full Version : Crist Roller spear Prototype

mike s
03-14-2009, 12:22 PM
I have been doing a little r&d w/ aaron's roller spear prototype. The draw on the band is extremely smooth on the roller and the hand strap is much more comfortable than holding the band itself. The pole has been performing well,but needs a little more power. I'll give another update after testing w/ more band.:D

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr25/samsumlin/Roller.jpg

LunkerBuster
03-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Awesome. I was in love with this design when I saw it at the expo. Has the spear been changed at all? More weight, quick change for the bands?

I am really excited about this development in spear tech. Esp since you get more effective band stretch by having it recessed in the spear

Awesome. Please keep us/me updates. Nice haul btw:thumps:

a.s.alvarez
03-14-2009, 03:06 PM
I also saw it in the expo, it is sick! Cant wait til he starts to sell them.

SnpperWhisperer
03-14-2009, 03:38 PM
OK, I'm impressed.

(and yep, nice fish too - it obviously works!)

azspearo
03-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Awesome. I was in love with this design when I saw it at the expo. Has the spear been changed at all? More weight, quick change for the bands?

I am really excited about this development in spear tech. Esp since you get more effective band stretch by having it recessed in the spear

Awesome. Please keep us/me updates. Nice haul btw:thumps:

I've been tinkering around in the shop to get the spear finalized. It will have more weight and a way to easily change the bands.
I've had this design under wraps as I wanted to patent it. So now that I have a Pat. Pend. I'll be talking more about it. Getting something patent is life long dream, it's a lot more work and money then I ever imagined.
Designing the band loop and single rubber has given me the idea to use this on regular polespears. I will be coming out with this design as soon as testing is finished. On light weight spears with 3/8" and under bands this is really not needed. On spears with stouter bands the loop makes it more comfortable to use.

clavinr
03-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Building a better mousetrap!

LunkerBuster
03-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds really cool Aaron. I am looking forward to seeing the next version.

phil herranen
03-15-2009, 11:28 AM
i tryed that 10 or 12 years ago the problem with ruining the band down the center of the tube is when u stretch the band it becomes thinner letting water fill the space once occupied by the band .when u release the band the water in the tube must be displaced for the band to retract greatly slowing the shot. to help fix this u have to drill vent holes but by the time u drill enuff to make a real difference u have cut a lot of structure out of the tube made the pole too flexy. u also have to pair holes on opposite sides of the spear if u dont the water jets will steer the spear
Phil

njspearo
03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
i think this polespear is an amazing idea and has major potential....props to you aaron!!

I can also see where phil is comming from also, but im sure kinks like this arent a problem for you, GL with the roller poller aaron

isibrigade
03-15-2009, 05:56 PM
i think this polespear is an amazing idea and has major potential....props to you aaron!!

I can also see where phil is comming from also, but im sure kinks like this arent a problem for you, GL with the roller poller aaron

ROLLER POLLER:lol:. That name has got to stick. HAHA.

When Aaron showed me his prototype, I was very impressed with it. There may be some kinks to 'iron out', but still this is nothing short of an absolutley brilliant innovation. I think it is amazing how much the polespear can be reinvented.

Totoop
03-15-2009, 10:12 PM
It ceases to amaze me how brilliantly people can re-invent a pointed stick. But that sure is one awesome design, congrats and good luck on getting it finished and up for sale.

btw Dustin, I just tried on that apnea legend and it fits great. But my god, having never owned a freedive suit before.....that sure was an experience that I will never forget and I am glad I was behind a closed door. Really is a great suit.

Lo_B
03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
does anyone have a picture (diagram/description, etc.) of the full set up? very curious here~~~!!!

OceanEd
03-16-2009, 04:00 PM
As usual, my hat is off to Aaron and his amazing mind. I was impressed at how much easier it was to use with a strap at the end of the band.

azspearo
03-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I should have a spear finished early next week and to the anodizer. I'll take some pictures and report on the performance of the spear.

My original spear had an 18" piece of rubber sling inside the spear attached to the front. Then a piece of spectra ran to the roller at the end of the spear then tied off at the loop.
This worked well until it was in the water then I ran into the problem that Phil mentioned. That design would have kept the band totally enclosed and out of the sun.
"Roller Poller" now that’s funny.

classtimesailer
03-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Very Cool!
I'm hoping there will be two different weights of the Christ Roller Poller. A lighter faster one in addition to the standard issue.
Jeff

azspearo
03-17-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm messing around with two different diameters 5/8" and 3/4" along with a 1/2" roller for my other son.

hardway
03-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Sweet! Very innovative Aaron, way cool! You going to bring any of these up to Bragg this summer?

azspearo
03-21-2009, 07:05 PM
I'll be there with a couple I imagine. My two brothers and my Pops are always looking for freebies;) I'm trying to get a speargun built as-well but have little free time to build it. I may get someone to build it for me.
Are you going to make it? We have the group circle reserved at McKerricher SP from July 31st to August 7th. There will be room to bring up the Family. I think we have 5-6 spots left out of the 20 and were keeping a couple un-filled for stragglers...

hardway
03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
I'll be there with a couple I imagine. My two brothers and my Pops are always looking for freebies;) I'm trying to get a speargun built as-well but have little free time to build it. I may get someone to build it for me.
Are you going to make it? We have the group circle reserved at McKerricher SP from July 31st to August 7th. There will be room to bring up the Family. I think we have 5-6 spots left out of the 20 and were keeping a couple un-filled for stragglers...

Yeah bud, I'll make it up one of those days for sure. It'll be a couple months after my new baby arrives so I should be able to get a pass to hit the water, at least overnight.:D

DevonBlaine
12-17-2009, 01:49 AM
Updates?
can we see some pictures already?:knees:

memosub
12-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi Aaron i am exited waiting to see your roller spear
regards
Memo