View Full Version : Got my Ray Odor

Bloody Shaft
03-18-2009, 08:37 AM
well i got my brand new Ray Odor pole spear the other day. it took only 5 days for it to get me in switzerland. supper fast and and the shipping was only 20 bucks. Ovarall this thing is a crude peice of art. i love how solid it is, and it looks and feels like its a hard hitting SOB. So i threw down a custom paint job. i'll be using it in morocco and have no idea what the watter collor is there but i love the opean water camo look, so thats what i went with. i also used some hockey tape and wire coiled around the knurled part for better grip. hope you like it.

Bloody Shaft
03-18-2009, 08:40 AM
i dont know how to rsize pics so just bear with the huge ones

03-18-2009, 11:43 AM
How did you do that paint job?!
I love it !!!

Also how do you make the coils with the wire? Can you give us a step by step guide? It look so professional !

03-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Isecond the compliment on the paintjob..it looks very professional..nice work.

I would recommend using self amalgamating tape for the handle next time when you rewrap it..it will last a lot longer than any adhesive tape.

enjoy that fine killing stick..Ray knows his business

03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't have thought that spearfishing in Switzerland was known for the big fish.... (ha ha ha)

Nice paint work. Now get out there and use it and send in some pic of big fish!

03-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Your paint job looks great. Personally, I wouldn't camo mine because I often use my pole spear to mark a spot. I would set it at a cave and lose the cave and the spear!

03-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Nice paint job! How did you do that?

03-19-2009, 08:09 AM

03-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Very nice stick. What diameters' are the pole and spear? Is it made from aluminum (2 piece I assume)? Ray's look a bit thinner than the Manny (Omer) spear. Has anyone out there used both of these? Wondering how they compare, with regards to effectiveness vs weight/diameter.

And I have to second TSW's comment...where do you plan to hunt? Hope you have a 9mm (suit that is)? I bet the vis is very good in those alpine lakes!

03-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Ray's is made of 5/8 solid rod, three-piece 6' or four piece 8'. It's a great spear, but make absolutely sure to wrap the threads with a generous amount of teflon tape. They tend to unscrew themselves without it.

With a new band, Ray's 8' spear hits hard and can land big fish - just make sure to keep them away from rocks or they will snap it in half! :eek:

03-19-2009, 05:02 PM
I bought one of Ray's spears while I was waiting for a back ordered Manyy Puig spear. By the time I received the Manny Puig spear I'd already had a chance to use the Ray Odor for about a month.

I did use the Puig spear some but for me the Odor does everything I want it to just as well or better than the Puig. Fact is they are so similar that I just did not see the need to keep the Puig in my quiver. The Odor works as well and is very much more bang for the buck.

I also use a Gat Ku which completes and enhances my quiver very well. I am looking forward to trying out the new Crist spear...Variety is a good ting!

Bloody Shaft
03-23-2009, 07:55 AM
How did you do that paint job?!
I love it !!!

Also how do you make the coils with the wire? Can you give us a step by step guide? It look so professional !

Sorry it took me so long to reply, ive been out of town. So for the paint job i just used some 50 water collor brushes and three diferant colors of blue. a realy light sky blue, a realy deep blue almost purple'ish and a basic solid blue.
I started with a regular blue base coat, then just dabed the shaft with the light blue, let it dry and then repeted the process with the darker blue. then i just threw on about 5 coats of clearcoat and some how everything came together just how i wanted it to. :thumps:

As for the spear, i forgot to mention that i wanted the 3 peice modle for traveling purposes (I didnt realy know i had to). Well when i got it in the mail it was a solid one peice knockout king. Not what i was expecting but after checking with the airline i am once again stoked. So if your going to order and Oder remember to specify excactly what you want .
As for the grips let me round up some pics.

Bloody Shaft
03-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Now for the grips. I dont have an extra spear laying around so i decieded do demo the grips on a broom we have laying around. All you need is some heat shrinking tape or hockey tape for my case, and some wire.

I used some wire from local hardware store. its about the thickness of some bicycle brake cable and houseing. I started by tapeing one end of the wire with half strips of tape to the bottom of the "shaft"

Then I coiled it up to the top, and taped it off like the bottom.

Then i started tapeing from the bottom up, so when you hold it fully cocked you dont peel the tape off http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/fbmx88/swisspics116.jpg

when your done it sould look something like this

If anyone else has some tips feel free to chime in as this was my second atempt. enjoy