PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Shooting the SBO with a pole spear?

OceanEd
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
I am thinking of shooting the SBO with a pole spear but have not really decided yet. Anyone else going to do it?

a.s.alvarez
03-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Where and when is it? And do they have a non gun class, for slings and pole spears.

njspearo
03-25-2009, 06:45 PM
I think you could pull it off stephen

OceanEd
03-26-2009, 08:22 AM
A.S.:
I don't think there is a class for pole spears and slings.

I keep thinking about the scoring, though, I think it would be possible to bring in a good score with a pole spear. I don't think someone with a pole spear could win any of the categories for "biggest fish" unless you could somehow corner a big grouper back in a hole or manage to get a really big AJ to swim close to you. Then again, those categories usually go to the commercial guys and those up in the Carolinas anyway. However, you could do well and probably get fish in all categories necessary and that would put you on the board with a decent score.

NJ:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I don't have any illusions about winning the contest. It would just be interesting to see if I could fill the categories and do well. A lot of it depends on whether or not you get good drops and are "on the fish" but if that were to happen it might be very interesting to see what the final result would be.

SnpperWhisperer
03-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Pole spearing in comps is not really about winning, it is about doing 'ok' despite the obvious handicap. Go and show them that you are prepared to take less fish as your part of protecting what is left, and prove you have the skills necessary to take fish with a pole. It raises people's awareness of pole spearing as a viable and more environmentally friendly and more challenging option. This has been my agenda for the last few years anyway. I encourage everyone I talk to to compete with a pole spear.

OceanEd
03-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I agree. Besides that, it's a lot of fun.

a.s.alvarez
03-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Where and when is it again? I will try to make it.

torch
03-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Oceaned I was wondering what polespear you think is the best all around? I've been shooting a JBL aluminum for many years but I think it may be alot lighter than some of the more expensive polespears. Do you think I should invest in a better spear or are there any modifications I can do to the one I already have? I do like it and shoot very well with it. Just wondering what you think. Also where do you plan on spearing for the SBO and are you freediving or scuba?
Thank You
Mike

Tino Bernazzani
03-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Pole spearing in comps is not really about winning, it is about doing 'ok' despite the obvious handicap. Go and show them that you are prepared to take less fish as your part of protecting what is left, and prove you have the skills necessary to take fish with a pole. It raises people's awareness of pole spearing as a viable and more environmentally friendly and more challenging option. This has been my agenda for the last few years anyway. I encourage everyone I talk to to compete with a pole spear.

I don't know about that.
There is a tourney I help put together for the last couple of years called the Big Ab Big Ling event.
Both years a diver by the name of Brian Ishida has won his class or overall, and he used a polespear.
Both years the conditions were tuff, and Brian brought in big lings.
Here is a pic of his excellent stringer from last year.
Note, the event is a three fish meet, with only one per specie being allowed.
That helps a little when compared to the max #of fish meets.

Go get um Ocean Ed. :thumps:

OceanEd
03-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Mike:

I will be spearing off the the Emerald which runs out of Jupiter and I will be on SCUBA. I am doing something a little different this year. I have decided to contact 3 different divers who are new to spearing but are very enthusiastic about it. I am going to offer to "team up" with them and teach them how to shoot in the SBO. It is a bit daunting for people for the first time, especially the way we usually do it, so I wanted to help some of the newer shooters learn without a steep learning curve.

I personally love longer pole spears. I think that you should use a pole that is at least 8 ft. long, and I like mine to be 9 ft. to 10 ft. That is my personal preference. I also like the larger diameter and heavier pole spears because I try to go after bigger fish. The JBL is a good spear, but it is not in the same category as the better pole spears.

The three I would recommend you look at are the Aaron Crist, the Gat-Ku, and Ray Odor's pole spear. Each is different from the others and has a different concept, but they are all great pole spears. Which one you choose might depend on where and what type of fish you are trying to shoot.

BentShaftGarret
03-30-2009, 10:33 PM
when is it?

torch
03-31-2009, 02:01 AM
Oceaned if you need anyone else on your team that is very enthusiastic I would love to shoot it with you I have been spearing along time but have had quite a time off and have never speared in a tournament before. if not no big deal hopefully we will spear some other time together.
thanks mike

OceanEd
03-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Mike:

If any of the three guys I have talked to decide not to shoot I will contact you.