PDA

View Full Version : Smear Spear Campaign

Dangerous
04-15-2004, 04:15 PM
They are at it again! See Quote from FWC PROPOSES RULE TO MANAGE BLACK SEA BASS
April 15, 2004

"Recreational black sea bass harvest is primarily by hook-and-line, and to a much less extent spearing, and black sea bass traps are the predominant gear used in the commercial fishery. Traps and hook-and-line account for 98 percent of annual Florida commercial black sea bass landings, with most landings being reported from traps. "

Why mention spearing except to impugn the reputation of spearfishers. We need a strong rebuttal to this smear campaign. Spear Smear. I do realize they aren't going after spearfishing (yet)

I personally see many black sea bass and have NEVER speared one. Has anyone ever speared a black bass?

Does this statement surprise anyone? “Black sea bass are in the same family of fishes as groupers, but unlike other grouper species, they do not grow very large, reaching only one to two pounds and 12-13 inches. The National Marine Fisheries Service has declared black sea bass to be over-fished and undergoing over-fishing off the southeastern coast of the United States. However, very little information is known about the status of black sea bass in the Gulf of Mexico.”

I guess Dr. Ault will do a study and declare that to save the black sea bass, we should outlaw spearfishing.

PatMyGreen
04-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Is there more to the statement or am I missing something, from what I read this statement says we are splitting 2% of the take with whatever else is in the misc catagory. It does seem to to imply that spearing is on their minds though just to mention us at all. I don't think I know anyone that has speared a Black Sea Bass.
I am more concerned about the article about the sturgeon that washed up in Tampa Bay with a hole in its belly that the paper seems to think might be from a spear. (off topic section)

Marcus
04-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Pat,

That sturgeon article is old, check the date.

PatMyGreen
04-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Thanks, didn't catch that. Does anyone know what the final word on that was?

Denny
04-17-2004, 07:12 AM
Check out this link. No mistaking the intended target here.http://www.record-eagle.com/2004/feb/17sturg.htm

Denny
04-17-2004, 07:34 AM
At least spearguns are acknowledged as a major gear. We have made much noise and are now known throughout the Gulf Council, NMFS Southeast and the Florida FWC.

greyface
04-17-2004, 07:51 AM
We have made much noise and are now known throughout the Gulf Council, NMFS Southeast, and the Florida FWC. CAN I GET A HELL YEAH?! :cool:

Spear One
04-17-2004, 08:17 AM
No, but I will give ya a "Rogers on That! Kepp and eye on this one Denny, it will likely get hot!

Denny
04-17-2004, 08:29 AM
All three eyes opened wide by all that is happening.
This might be a good time to mention that all phone calls have been taken or returned by any NMFS, Gulf Council, FWC, FMRI, SAFMC, and SEFSC people at which the calls were directed.
Very helpful answers to all questions.
I thought you all should know. I believe that the reception is based on how we have expressed ourselves and our concerns. YOU ALL helped to position us as a viable, vocal, powerful and organized user group. As I have said all along, you ARE the power. I'm proud to be one of your dogs in this fight.