PDA

View Full Version : molokai in June

riley's hump
05-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Going to be on Molokai first 10 days of June. Any tips for diving there? How about Ono and ahi then? Thanks

808 Cultivated
05-21-2009, 12:03 AM
I don't know about blue water in molokai, but I'm sure its better than oahu.

You should check HSD, i think they are trying to have a roi round up there, it'd be a great way to give back to community if you joined them.

jkvshooter
05-21-2009, 02:43 AM
probably no ono, but most likely you'll get chances at mahi and ahi if you go blue water. haven't dove molokai yet, but very soon. still a few ono here on oahu, but they should already be offshore and the ones left are just stragglers. I did see mahi on a kayak dive last week and some ahi on a boat trip the week before.

Akula
06-21-2009, 07:57 AM
i may be mistaken, but dont the residents of molokai not really, ah, "appreciate" spearing around that island?

jstroup
06-22-2009, 11:22 AM
i may be mistaken, but dont the residents of molokai not really, ah, "appreciate" spearing around that island?

I used to live in West Maui, and that's sort of the impression I got. They just don't like outsiders diving there without permission. I heard stories about boats being damaged while they were anchored offshore or people being yelled at for being on the reef or beaches (if they weren't from that Island). I always figured you gotta know somebody over there in order to dive there. I had a buddy who was from Molokai, he said there were tons of fish and bugs...if you can find a hook up there, probably be great diving!