PDA

View Full Version : Wanna try a hawaiian sling

NateSmith
05-29-2009, 03:12 PM
hey guys,

i love using my pole spear and would really like to try out a hawaiian sling, just don't know how/where to get started. Is it ALL freeshaft or is there a way to tie off the spear? Just curious.

Nate

settingsteel
05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Some guys do tie it off by drilling a hole close to the flopper, and crimpin an extension of mono rigged to a floatline. But generally HS are free shafted, and are quite lethal in the right hands...this thread might fetch you a free HS http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=84974 check it out:beer:

NateSmith
05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
thanks. i've got some shafts with holes drilled in the back end. may try that out as well.

settingsteel
05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
back end may be less than ideal

aaron proffitt
05-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Wait a minute, in bowfishing you can use a simple configuration that keeps the line in front of the bow riser and yet allows the line via washer to slide to the rear of the shaft during retrieval .

Why would this be different ?

settingsteel
05-29-2009, 07:35 PM
^^^that might work, just may need some type of "stopper" in the backend

azspearo
05-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Wait a minute, in bowfishing you can use a simple configuration that keeps the line in front of the bow riser and yet allows the line via washer to slide to the rear of the shaft during retrieval .

Why would this be different ?

Aaron I have seen these used on bowfihsing rigs. I'm going to give this a try.

I thought about using a sling in Ca for awhile but with the typical vis and never really needing more range then my polespears I never put much thought into it. I'm headed out to Ca for a 2 week trip in 2 months and will make one to try out.
I'm going to use a slide ring and crimp the shaft at the end where the slide ring will catch.
The sling will have a long inside taper at the end where the crimped end won't hang up on a typical sling hole.
Whats typical shaft and pull weight. I have 1/4", 9/32" and 5/16" shaft stock on hand and can make what ever length is typical.
Thanks for any advice.
Aaron

aaron proffitt
05-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Aaron I have seen these used on bowfihsing rigs. I'm going to give this a try.

I thought about using a sling in Ca for awhile but with the typical vis and never really needing more range then my polespears I never put much thought into it. I'm headed out to Ca for a 2 week trip in 2 months and will make one to try out.
I'm going to use a slide ring and crimp the shaft at the end where the slide ring will catch.
The sling will have a long inside taper at the end where the crimped end won't hang up on a typical sling hole.
Whats typical shaft and pull weight. I have 1/4", 9/32" and 5/16" shaft stock on hand and can make what ever length is typical.
Thanks for any advice.
Aaron

Aaron,
Let me check my old bowfishing gear. It's a very simple concept of a slip ring that slides down the shaft and and a stopper that stops the ring , a piece of plastic that screws into the shaft. Really nothing to it.

OceanEd
05-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Look out, Aaron the mad scientist is off on another tangent! Next we are going to see a compound sling with a self propelled shaft.

hardway
05-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Look out, Aaron the mad scientist is off on another tangent! Next we are going to see a compound sling with a self propelled shaft.

No doubt. How's the roller poler coming, Aaron?

azspearo
05-31-2009, 06:10 PM
It's coming along, I just got real busy with my normal spears. I'll have both with me at Ft. Bragg if you want to try them out.
"Tangents" this is my biggest weakness. It's a daily battle not to invent and make new stuff when I need to stay on track with what works. Good thing my wife keeps me on track or I would only have one-off projects.

NateSmith
06-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Ok, I've got the sling here. Looking at it, with my RA shaft, there's plenty of space to put a line on it. Just thinking that it won't be mono. Was thinking of using spectra and trying to thread it through something rubber or plastic to protect the line from the straight edges in the eye on the end of the shaft. thoughts? There's plenty of space there and the shaft actually wobbles some.

mnguy
06-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Nate,

When I rig my short euro gun with spectra, I just bowline knot it direct to the hole in the back with enough of a loop to be able to seat the shaft in the mechanism properly. So I don't think you need to do anything to the line/shaft as far as rigging is concerned as the spectra will hold up fine. I'm using this on the super thin non jacketed spectra, if it makes any difference.

If you search jdiermend's old posts, he modified his Ray Uppstrom sling to use a shooting line. Probably 2 years ago, somewhere in the CA section.

edit: It's jdeirmend, not how I have it above. Silly Armenians and forgetting the I before E except after C:p

edit again: Found a thread with a picture of it. Working on one with the full rig. You can see the clip and coiled shooting mono attached to the sling.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=27578&highlight=sling