PDA

View Full Version : 3mm wetsuit, enough in JAN?

fernandezh
01-14-2003, 01:25 PM
I am a U.S. Army Captain who grew up in Clearwater. I come down every weekend there is good weather for spearing. I have been reading that the gulf temp is 58 degrees F. Do you all think that a 3mm full wetsuit with hood and gloves is enough protection? Or should I go with a 7 mil farmer john? Input will be appreciated.

Steel Shootin'
01-14-2003, 01:37 PM
I don't think a 3 mil is enough. I would go with at least a 5/3. I'm using a 5/3 with hooded 5/3 vest, and some guys are using a 7/5.

Divin' fool
01-14-2003, 01:55 PM
I have been looking for a drysuit...my farmer john and shortie 3 mm is not enough for 3 dives in 58.
I can make one or two dives but I have to look really hard for my cods:eek: after the dives.

dothanfrogman
01-14-2003, 02:07 PM
I have a 5mm henderson gold core 2peice and gold core gloves boots and hood and i still get cold at 58 degrees on the third dive, the second dive is really dependant on weather, sunny or not.

Stone
01-14-2003, 02:58 PM
7/5 goldcore and a 5/3 hyperstrech hooded vest.

johnhermes
01-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Not this year, that water is damn cold. Last year the water was 72 degrees in January.

201proguide
01-14-2003, 03:24 PM
i did 2 dives in 60 degree water with a full suit 3mill and an old longsleve shorty 3mill over that. i was ok on my first dive, and kinda cold on my second dive. i also didnt have a hoodie or gloves on(other than the normal grip gloves, not wetsuit quality gloves). i think you would be warm and tosty with a 5mill 2 piece, with a hood and gloves. my $.02 worth.

seastalker
01-14-2003, 04:16 PM
come on... I thought this web page was for hard core divers...not a munch of shivering pansies.....The water temp at the beach may be 59 but it's not that out past 50 feet... try mid to upper 60's as of two weeks ago....hell if the air temp is warm you can dive without a wetsuit in the Middlegrounds with the 70 degree bottom temps....no bs I did it the week prior to Christmas. Three mil is plenty.....But hell that's just me .......I have a natural 5 mil I wear all the time.......:D

PS ...What the hell you doing here shouldn't be honing your underwater hunting skills somewhere in the Mediterranean looking for Bin Laden and crew .....:D

GROUPER55
01-15-2003, 03:41 AM
Yeah, hell look at me..I've been fighting for yall all weeklong...there was a helluva battle this weekend....or so they told me!

http://www.fishingworks.com/Users/UserFolders/sticknfish/PhotoImages/combat%20camera!.JPG

fernandezh
01-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Hey guys,
I appreciate the input on my question. About shouldn't I be out hunting Bin Ladin, well that is another Story. Since serving I have done a lot of time in South America, the Balkans (Bosnia, Kosovo), and oh my favorite the middle east. Last year as a Company Commander we were clearing out some houses in a village just north of Tora Bora when some little shit stabbed me in the neck. The knife about came out the back of my head. That was the last thing that little puke remembers. It proboly is more my fault than anything else because I should have been more carefull but I think I have gotten complacent over the years or thought I was invincible since I have always gotten out with a scratch. Since then I had to get some vertebrae fused together in a pain in the ass surgery. I am proboly getting medically discharged in the next couple of months because the army has not much use for an Infantry Officer who can't wear a Kevlar helmet on his head. If it weren't for this unfortunate little incident last year, I definitely would be diving in the Persian gulf instead of the Gulf of Mexico. My 2 cents worth

Dive4Blood
01-15-2003, 01:06 PM
Josh, I give that spew an 8 for form, 9 for a color, and a 6 for volume. I sleep like a baby at night knowing you are keeping the borders of this great land safe from the rabble of international riff-raff. ;)

Steel Shootin'
01-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by fernandezh
Hey guys,
I appreciate the input on my question. About shouldn't I be out hunting Bin Ladin, well that is another Story. Since serving I have done a lot of time in South America, the Balkans (Bosnia, Kosovo), and oh my favorite the middle east. Last year as a Company Commander we were clearing out some houses in a village just north of Tora Bora when some little shit stabbed me in the neck. The knife about came out the back of my head. That was the last thing that little puke remembers. It proboly is more my fault than anything else because I should have been more carefull but I think I have gotten complacent over the years or thought I was invincible since I have always gotten out with a scratch. Since then I had to get some vertebrae fused together in a pain in the ass surgery. I am proboly getting medically discharged in the next couple of months because the army has not much use for an Infantry Officer who can't wear a Kevlar helmet on his head. If it weren't for this unfortunate little incident last year, I definitely would be diving in the Persian gulf instead of the Gulf of Mexico. My 2 cents worth
Thank you for your service to our Country, and I hope your recovery continues. I also hope if you're discharged that the government gives you a damn nice stipend for what happened to you. Best of luck.

f94gator
01-15-2003, 01:32 PM
With all due respect, if you can dive in 58 degree water wearing only a 3 mil suit, you're either ****ing insane and/or more of a man than I am. Although no one would be able to tell due to the severe shrinkage you'd suffer.

201proguide
01-15-2003, 01:43 PM
if you can dive in 58 degree water wearing only a 3 mil suit, you're either ****ing insane and/or more of a man than I am. Although no one would be able to tell due to the severe shrinkage you'd suffer.

dont know if you were talking to me about the 3mill diving but...

yeah, i guess im insane, and yeah your nuts wont hang right for a couple of hrs. my insanity was motivated by my new ss commercial speargun. i wanted to get out and use it so bad, i didnt really care about the 60 degree water (58 @ 80').

i dont think ill be able wait untill i get a heavier suit, or the water gets a little warmer before i go out agian. i just wanna get out and shoot some damn fish!!

greyface
01-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Fernandezh- Ditto what Scot said.:cool:

inletsurf
01-15-2003, 06:48 PM
Hell Yeah Grouper55!!!!!!!

dlock
01-15-2003, 10:26 PM
was that a "puke bomb" you guys were contributing to? Maybe a "Puke-ular warhead"? **** the nailbombs, we got PUKES!!!!!:D

f94gator
01-15-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by 201ProGuide
dont know if you were talking to me about the 3mill diving but...

201, it was basically aimed at ANYONE who dives in 60 degree water in a 3 mil!!!! :D

GROUPER55
01-16-2003, 03:28 AM
That was our "welcome" given to us by the other wire dawgs on the base...they make that drink full of soju, habanero sauce, chex mix, and that ****ing nacho cheese! I swear I threw up more drinking that shit than my whole life combined.....the cheeze spread holds a coin at the bottom of the cup that you recieve when you finish lol.....

GeauxSaints
01-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Are you sure those were OUR guys that gave that stuff to you? Sounds like a recipe for some WMD to me...

No shit, though, Brother, we're looking to see ya get back and do some shooting/beer drinking/Mons Venus raiding/good time having.

Oh, Derek still hasn't gotten that boat, but by the time you get here I'm sure he will be set up and hunting on a regular basis.

GROUPER55
01-16-2003, 05:05 PM
I can't wait to get back, I would probably go crazy over here without a mid-tour. Man just thinking about Derrick and Jason frickin around on my boat...wow what a pair of nutballs!! That was alot of fun....

fernandezh
01-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, unfortunately I couldn't dive this past weekend because of the weather, and I got drunk Sunday while watching the Bucs Vs. Eagles game. I have got to get my priorities straightened out.

dothanfrogman
01-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Sounds like they are straight to me. Drunk dry and warm, versus cold wet cold seasick cold and sober.