PDA

View Full Version : Float line question

a.s.alvarez
06-09-2009, 03:26 PM
I just want to double check something. I am going to the Bahamas next week. I always tie off my float line to the 1/2" band with the 1/8" inner diameter. Never had a problem, and I have shot fish up to 35 lbs. A buddy of mine broke a band on a biller pole spear with a thinner band on it when he shot a big grouper. He lost the fish and polespear. Even if I shoot a big AJ or something I should not pop the band. Correct ? Has anyone ever broke one?

Thanks

SnpperWhisperer
06-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I doubt you'll ever break a band unless it was really perished or old or you cut it somehow (i.e. a Manny knot setup with rough edges on the hole through the pole, or a cut from clipping the float line to the rubber, etc). What's the breaking strain on a 1/2 inch band (Arron?)

a.s.alvarez
06-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks Reid, If you have not broken a band on those big YT I think I am safe.

Thanks
Alfred

azspearo
06-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I doubt you'll ever break a band unless it was really perished or old or you cut it somehow (i.e. a Manny knot setup with rough edges on the hole through the pole, or a cut from clipping the float line to the rubber, etc). What's the breaking strain on a 1/2 inch band (Arron?)

Around 600lbs, I think the flopper pin would let go waaay before that.
I have advised people to keep the band and bridle fresh. A continuous loop like the Puig would be the strongest route
Of all the spearos I have spoken with that use a floatline rigged to their sling none have had failures. This goes for my spears as well as other makes.
For piece of mind you can attach it to the back of the spear, make sure the floatline and is in your hand when drawn and fired.
Good luck...

a.s.alvarez
06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks Aaron, I will let you know how it goes. I am going with Tito of Tito's custom guns. It should be a great polespear trip. Are you selling any of the break away tips yet?

azspearo
06-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Alfred,
I sold out of the 6mm threaded slip-tips and only have 2 5/16"-24 sliptips left. I'm working on two different designs that came from Board members requests. When I get these made they'll try them out and hopefully i'll here back with good results.
Tell Tino hi and i'll be sending the camo rubber his way next week.
Did he tell you the story of his son shooting a 67lbs AJ?
Aaron