View Full Version : Band upgrade question

06-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I just got a Ray Odor polespear and tried it out and the band seems a little weak. I have read that people use 1/2" bands but I dont have any of them laying around the house. I do have some 16mm band material, anyone ever use that for a polespear? And if so how long did you make the band? Thanks

06-13-2009, 12:21 AM
I always feel that the diameter of the band and the length of the band depends on how strong you are. With my bands I want to be able to pull the band forward a minimum of half the length of the pole spear and usually between half and 2/3ds the length. I then want to be able to hold the band, cocked in this position from the time I leave the surface until the time I shoot at a fish.

With this in mind I wrap self amalgamating tape around the position on the pole where I will be holding the band so it is easier to grip for a length of time.

06-13-2009, 02:46 AM
be carefull, i put a 20mm riffe gun band on a jbl aluminum polespear and broke it in half...

06-13-2009, 08:49 AM

06-13-2009, 12:12 PM
be carefull, i put a 20mm riffe gun band on a jbl aluminum polespear and broke it in half...

Yeah, the JBL is thin, plus it has the big openings in the back for the JBL style bands so its really weak. The spot where the steel ferrule with the set screw meets the aluminum is also weak and can break off on a big fish with enough lateral force.

A Ray Odor ought to be thick enough to handle bigger bands, but I don't know about 20mm. Haven't tried it. Also, with the bigger bands you'll have to remember to do the twist with the bands as you load if you have a multiple piece spear, as the connection parts are a little thinner because of the threading and they will bend/break if allowed to flex under the increased load.

06-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I just tied a knot in it to shorten the band and it seems to do a little better, plus the float line does not slip anymore. I will probably just use it this way for a while.