PDA

View Full Version : extra large Oregon mussels


riobuster
07-16-2009, 12:05 AM
My son Jon and I dove at the "dive park" on the Siuslaw river in Florence today and conditions were not that great with vis of about 10" to 3' we didn't find any legal size crabs but I did find some mussels that were much larger than any I have seen in California (about as big as my hand) and I was wondering if they are any good to eat? We did see lots of bait fish and a large school of good sized perch. We may try Winchester bay tomorrow.
Jim

wkyongae
07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
If there are no health advisories for the area you where in. Then go for it. The main shell mussel might be a little stringy. The mussels we get up here in Washington are good to eat. We try to get them in the 3 inch range for the above reason. But, if you have questions and no answers I wouldn't eat.

ekinoderminator
07-19-2009, 11:09 AM
they are generally not safe to eat summer and fall - this was a heavy plankton blooming year thus far so it would be safe to assume they are not safe to eat.

Marcus
07-19-2009, 11:30 AM
There is usually a published website showing what areas are safe for shellfish harvest. The safe condition usually applies to raw shellfish. Bacteria is killed by cooking. Toxins, like redtide, are not.

ekinoderminator
07-19-2009, 01:49 PM
There is usually a published website showing what areas are safe for shellfish harvest. The safe condition usually applies to raw shellfish. Bacteria is killed by cooking. Toxins, like redtide, are not.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/environhealth/water/Pages/Shellfish.aspx

http://egov.oregon.gov/ODA/FSD/shellfish_status.shtml#Recreational_shellfish_harv esting_status_as_of_7_16_09

It states that PSP levels have risen above safe standards along entire coast

Orygun
08-31-2009, 10:46 PM
The problem with testing for toxic algae blooms is that testing can be out of sync with your dive/shore pick. Do they test your beach every day? or do they test it once a week and post the results the following monday...Like ekinoderminator said, I only mess with mussels in the spring and winter. FnG biologist have told me that mussels are the "flag" shellfish, being they are the first to show toxic level's during an algae bloom.

I heard/read somewhere that the little blue mussel's are the kine one's, and the big black one's are just o.k.? They both taste good to me on a barbecue. Then again, I eat Black Turban's in tomato basil sauce.