PDA

View Full Version : Carolina weather for the Open.

Charlestondivin
05-18-2004, 03:19 PM
Looks like 2-3' seas for the open off SC. Looks a little rougher up that way spearit.

Anyone else seeing that gumbo/whale snot? Visibility on the bottom sucked this past weekend in 105' I could barely see past my gun.

SPEARIT
05-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Come on now, Rob. I know you'd feel more secure in the chances of you getting the big Hog if we stayed home but they're only calling 3-5 offshore on Sat so that's plenty doable. I was out Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun of last week with charters and it was pretty enough. Mostly 1-2ft seas offshore, 74 to 77degree temps and 40 to 60ft vis. Shot lots of fish, Meg charters on Fri and Sat ended with over 90 teeth found.
It's a long time till Sat and the forecast can change a lot before then.

Diverdave76
05-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Spearit,
How many dives and how many divers to come up with 90 teeth?
Are you hunting for the open?

Dave

SPEARIT
05-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Dave
6 divers, 2 days, 4 dives. Check Bill's website, he should have the pics up by now. It was one of Bill's trips with a group from Atlanta, he video'd it and I should be getting the DVD soon.
Yes, we're shooting here and driving down Sat. night
Tom

Charlestondivin
05-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Tom, How's the Vis up that way? We have a snot layer on the bottom.

SPEARIT
05-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Rob
It's been 40 to 60 offshore here. Hope the snot isn't moving up here. Winds should be SW which should keep it out.
Tom

Charlestondivin
05-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Tom, how does that work as far as the SW winds and the thermo layer? Does it push the water on top towards shore and push the thermocline on the bottom further out?

I really hope the vis clears up or we may be screwed. I couldn't see past my gun last weekend.

Diverdave76
05-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Good luck to both of you. I know it's long way, but you guys ought to be able to do well. I would still say the safe money is on one of you 2.

I'll check out Bill's site and see if he has the pictures up. He asked me to go to the Cooper on Sat, but I've got a daughter graduating from high school on sat. I really wanted to hunt with some friends out of Savannah for the open. Always next year.

Dave

SPEARIT
05-19-2004, 06:52 PM
rob
One of the crewboats here came in today from a 3 day trip on the offshore wrecks and the vis is holding at 60ft, 77 to 74degree temps with no thermocline and the seas at about a 3ft swell every 8 seconds.
With the NE to SW lay of our coastline here, the SW winds tend to keep things right. As I was once told by a wise old man,"I don't know why it do; it just do."
Tom

Slay Ride
05-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Good Luck Tom. I've got a couple questions on the 951XD that you may be able to help me out with. If you get a moment will you call me? 843-576-1133 work or 843-224-7152. The yellow snot blizzard is looking like a repeat of the thermocline we had last year. I was told it was because of an offshore wind pulling deep water up. Like you said "it just do". Be safe. Les

SPEARIT
05-20-2004, 08:54 AM
Les
You're correct. Last year in May and June we had alot of days with stiff E to SE winds which helped the upwelling then in late July it switched back to prevailing SW and brought things back to normal. I'll call you this morning and Good Luck to yall too.
Tom