PDA

View Full Version : Big Game Pole Grip

kjflyfish
07-25-2009, 04:44 PM
If you're after big fish with a polespear, you need lots of band power and you need lots of grip. If you're hand doesn't hurt by the end of the day, something is wrong. :D

Here is my grip. It's no big secret, but it works as good as one.

The rope is #36 tarred nylon trotline (340 lb test).

It's best to use a glove when you do this because a full grip takes a good 20 minutes and will really hurt if you're pulling hard enough. I start with a double overhand knot at the forward end of the grip, leaving only a short tag. Pull it tight. Now, tie the first half-hitch, making sure the tag is underneath. From here, keep building the grip with half-hitches. Work the mainline forward and back to get the knot to clamp down. If you do it right, the final pull should tighten it enough for an audible pop/click. Make sure to keep each wrap tight to the last and pull each half-hitch hard. Each successive half-hitch will lay to the side, creating a spiral. Finish the grip off with another double or triple overhand. I use a super glue all the way around the last knot to keep it secure. The tarred nylon is a great line for this application because it doesn't like to slide against itself, but will lock in place when pulled tight and make that little noise when you get the last little bit of movement.

OceanEd
07-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Looks good. I know what you mean about needing a good grip when you power up your pole spear.

LunkerBuster
07-27-2009, 01:16 PM
anyone have a good how to site on these knots... iahe vtried the animated knot site, but it doesn't make sense in this application...any help is appriciated. thanks

kjflyfish
07-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Overhand is just a granny knot with an extra tuck. Half hitch is not really a knot, per se. I'll draw a pic.

Spearo56
07-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Nice grip:thumps:

I going to have to do that to my Dads cause his keeps slipping

kjflyfish
07-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Here is a terrible drawing of three consecutive half-hitches.

Sierra Bravo
08-10-2009, 12:07 AM
you ought to put a turk's head on each end

Lo_B
09-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Follow-up to Kolt's method and Sierra Bravo's suggested addition on my old Manny. Laid down the grip for about 12-14 inches or so and put a turk's head at each end and one in the center (probably more work than its worth). They get progressively easier, after the first one. Thought it may provide quick reference for two positions for different situations/power needs . As a finishing touch, appied some slow cure marine epoxy mixed w/ sand, to add more durability and texture. Similar to that we use on the boat decks, except clear.

(Threw the hog in there for a little more interesting background)

mnguy
09-03-2009, 12:10 AM
I've done the same to my Crist since the rubber grip finally died. I put it on my loaner JBL pole too. I used fishing rod butt cord though.

classtimesailer
09-03-2009, 09:07 AM
I just put one on my CRIST also. I hope it as grippy as the almalgamating tape.
Question: What is the trick to getting the turks head tight?
Jeff

seacrecher
09-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I just put one on my CRIST also. I hope it as grippy as the almagamating tape.
Question: What is the trick to getting the turks head tight?
Jeff

After completing it, start at the begining and work it all the way through, over and over until it's tight.

classtimesailer
09-03-2009, 03:23 PM
After completing it, start at the begining and work it all the way through, over and over until it's tight.

OK. But, I reach a point where it is reasonably tight. So tight that I can't reach in and pick out the cord to pull it tighter, but it is still not tight enough to withstand the abuse of holding back the cocked spear. I used a pair of needle nose to pick out the cord, but that didn't seem right.
Jeff

seacrecher
09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
OK. But, I reach a point where it is reasonably tight. So tight that I can't reach in and pick out the cord to pull it tighter, but it is still not tight enough to withstand the abuse of holding back the cocked spear. I used a pair of needle nose to pick out the cord, but that didn't seem right.
Jeff

I see. The knot, is not intended to hold a load. It is decorative. I use to put quite a few of them on fishing rods and sidecutters when I was into angling back in So Cal, and building custom rods.

To keep it from sliding you need to put a base inder the knot that won't allow it to slip. Corktape worked great on rods. Of course, it wouldn't hold well on a polespear. I might suggest putting a piece of adhesive lined shrink tube over the area you want to wrap, first. Then apply your twine or cord. Finish off with the Turkshead and then use a sealant over both.

Lo_B
09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
but it is still not tight enough to withstand the abuse of holding back the cocked spear. I used a pair of needle nose to pick out the cord, but that didn't seem right.
Jeff

Yes, felt the same way. That's another reason I chose to coat in epoxy, added durability and to shore up those knots. Also, #36 cord is somewhat delicate. I used a dental pick and survey nail to pick and work the knot tight. With considerable time I was able to secure it.

TailStalker
09-04-2009, 07:24 PM
lay electric tape first, wrap with 50/50 cord from a military store and after getting it tight as possible, get it wet which will allow it to shrink, then finish off w/a clear varnish and it's good to go.
I do this on wheels of our boats...
it will also work on a pole spear if need be.
http://www.eastcapecanoes.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2890

or this
http://www.eastcapecanoes.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2482

http://www.eastcapecanoes.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2407

I'll show some on my pole-spear after I finish building it :O)
Kevin

classtimesailer
09-04-2009, 08:08 PM
The cord I used is 42 ( I think. It has a little sticker with a 42 on it within the spool.) I just took it out for a test. Didn't get any fish, but the grip felt as sticky as the Almalgamating tape. I did the half-hitching over the knurls and it feels hard. The Turks Head is over the half-hitches at the front. I put a couple of drops of superglue on the bottom last hitch. I'm reluctant to varnish the wraps because when I have to replace this grip, I don't want to mess with solvents. I replace my tape grips when they become a sticky mess. And then it is a pain to remove and clean up the pole before re-taping. I want this cord grip to eliminate that hassle.

Kevin,
I like the two color cord work. Can't wait to see your grip. Can you spiral a cockscomb?

TailStalker
09-04-2009, 08:21 PM
The cord I used is 42 ( I think. It has a little sticker with a 42 on it within the spool.) I just took it out for a test. Didn't get any fish, but the grip felt as sticky as the Almalgamating tape. I did the half-hitching over the knurls and it feels hard. The Turks Head is over the half-hitches at the front. I put a couple of drops of superglue on the bottom last hitch. I'm reluctant to varnish the wraps because when I have to replace this grip, I don't want to mess with solvents. I replace my tape grips when they become a sticky mess. And then it is a pain to remove and clean up the pole before re-taping. I want this cord grip to eliminate that hassle.

Kevin,
I like the two color cord work. Can't wait to see your grip. Can you spiral a cockscomb?

Yes sir. :D
We learned online how to tie a couple of years ago ad use them on our wheels,steps, etc.
i'm gonna do 3 colors to get a camo effect on my carbon pole spear when I'm done making it. Should be a real head-turner. LOL
the metal work itself was a pain in da bootie.

calihiflo
09-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I tried a couple of different sizes of twine before settling on the #48. I would like to have gone smaller but with the cold water gloves on, and my band all powered up, it was just too hard to hold on to.

I started out with a clove hitch and captured the tag end under the initial wraps. I finished off with a rolling hitch, but you have to tie it in "reverse" since the standing end is the one that pulls it tight. If that makes sense.:scratch:

SnpperWhisperer
09-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Looks great. What are the other pieces I can see stuck on your spear - looks like they are part of the pole?

Does anyone else suspect all these larger profile grips are going to slow down the pole at all?

calihiflo
09-27-2009, 04:50 PM
It's a rest tab. I didn't want to derail this thread so;
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=92974

I do think that they will slow it down some not exactly sure just how much.