PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Monroe

mepps1
07-26-2009, 11:26 PM
August 16-21, I'm going to be in Monroe to visit the in-laws. I would love to do some diving or spearing. I don't mind driving an hour or two from there.

From what I've read, it sounds like the spearing is pretty heavily regulated, but I'd take what I can get.

I know the Pacific Northwest is Spearboard's "Silent Sector", but any advice, hints, or recommendations would be great. It would be even better to get out with some locals, but that might be hard to do on the weekdays.

Thanks.
KC

mepps1
07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Hello? (hello-ello-lo-o)

Is anyone there? (there-there-ere-r)

If you can hear me, yell back. (Back-back-ack)

Are there any stabbers of fish from Seattle north?

jmhardingjr
07-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Hi,

I'm originally from that area, but now live on the East Coast. If you drive west from Monroe on Highway 2 for about 30-40 minutes you'll run into the city of Everett. It's on the water and you should be able to find shore access there or in the nearby vicinity. Everett is an industrial city, so don't expect good vis or anything but a mud bottom. I'd pony up to take a longer drive.

A longer drive can put you in either Mukilteo, Edmonds, Anacortes, or on Whidbey Island. Any of those has reasonable to good diving available. Spearfishing is another issue. Check the regs and I would even call a few of the diveshops in the area. I would check with Bubbles Below in Woodinville (pretty close to Monroe, 30 min, (425)-424-3483), Underwater Sports (Everett, 35 min, (425) 355-3338‎), Anacortes Dive and Supply (in Anacortes, 45 min?, (360)-293-2070), or call Ron at Adventures Down Under (Bellingham, 1 hour+, (800)-695-5848). Any of those shops should have someone that can give you some info regarding spearfishing sites and regulations.

Good luck. I wish I was still connected with a group of divers out there to put you in touch with.

You know, as an alternative, you might be able to do some freshwater diving/spearing closer to Monroe. Plenty of rivers and lakes in that region. Can't comment on specific sites and regs pertaining to freshwater fish, but it's something you might look into.

All the best,

Jay

wyomingguide
07-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Or, you could drive down here this weekend and we could hit Glendo!?!?

mepps1
07-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi,

I'm originally from that area, but now live on the East Coast. If you drive west from Monroe on Highway 2 for about 30-40 minutes you'll run into the city of Everett. It's on the water and you should be able to find shore access there or in the nearby vicinity. Everett is an industrial city, so don't expect good vis or anything but a mud bottom. I'd pony up to take a longer drive.

A longer drive can put you in either Mukilteo, Edmonds, Anacortes, or on Whidbey Island. Any of those has reasonable to good diving available. Spearfishing is another issue. Check the regs and I would even call a few of the diveshops in the area. I would check with Bubbles Below in Woodinville (pretty close to Monroe, 30 min, (425)-424-3483), Underwater Sports (Everett, 35 min, (425) 355-3338‎), Anacortes Dive and Supply (in Anacortes, 45 min?, (360)-293-2070), or call Ron at Adventures Down Under (Bellingham, 1 hour+, (800)-695-5848). Any of those shops should have someone that can give you some info regarding spearfishing sites and regulations.

Good luck. I wish I was still connected with a group of divers out there to put you in touch with.

You know, as an alternative, you might be able to do some freshwater diving/spearing closer to Monroe. Plenty of rivers and lakes in that region. Can't comment on specific sites and regs pertaining to freshwater fish, but it's something you might look into.

All the best,

Jay

Thanks for the phone #'s.

I think freshwater spearing in WA is a no-no, for game species, at least. I'll check the reg's. From what others have said, it sounds like even saltwater spearing comes with a lot of regulations.

mepps1
07-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Or, you could drive down here this weekend and we could hit Glendo!?!?

How 'bout Keyhole? We've been hitting some pretty good walleye. 6-8 lbs. pretty regularly.

Hunterick
07-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Hey, I was not going to comment as was hoping somebody would step up and take you out spear fishing.

I lived there too. Originally Idaho born and bred then moved to the western Washingtion. I live in Alabama now and spear fish the Gulf. Going again next weekend and the spearing is great.

I know that does you no good, unfortunately spear fishing in Washington is a hot spot. Both with the fisheries and the diving communtity there for some reason.

Wish I could take you as there are places to find fish. You need to really watch the seasons. The state just plain makes it hard on you if you spear fish and so do some of the people.

Washington is not like it use to be. The hunting mentality is not like Idaho or Wyoming. I can't hardly dive without my spear gun! Without my gun I am just blowing bubbles and my as well just buy an aquarium with one of the little plastic fake divers that bubble.

mepps1
07-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey, I was not going to comment as was hoping somebody would step up and take you out spear fishing.

I lived there too. Originally Idaho born and bred then moved to the western Washingtion. I live in Alabama now and spear fish the Gulf. Going again next weekend and the spearing is great.

I know that does you no good, unfortunately spear fishing in Washington is a hot spot. Both with the fisheries and the diving communtity there for some reason.

Wish I could take you as there are places to find fish. You need to really watch the seasons. The state just plain makes it hard on you if you spear fish and so do some of the people.

Washington is not like it use to be. The hunting mentality is not like Idaho or Wyoming. I can't hardly dive without my spear gun! Without my gun I am just blowing bubbles and my as well just buy an aquarium with one of the little plastic fake divers that bubble.

Thanks for the thought, Hunterick.

I haven't decided whether to take my gear or not yet.

I have great in-laws, but it seems to be the unanimous opinion that I should not spend all week pacing back and forth in the house. :D Or stewing about spending yet another vacation in Granola Land.

Hunterick
07-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the thought, Hunterick.

I haven't decided whether to take my gear or not yet.

I have great in-laws, but it seems to be the unanimous opinion that I should not spend all week pacing back and forth in the house. :D Or stewing about spending yet another vacation in Granola Land.

Granola land. LOL I have not heard that expression in a long time. Use to use it lots in Idaho and montana. Ever get down this way in Bama, we will go shoot some fish.