PDA

View Full Version : Powerheads

WreckDiver
01-19-2003, 04:22 AM
I am new to spearfishing, primarily a bug hunter. Some of you guys talk about using powerheads. Thought they were a no no.
of course if i had one i would probally use it on myself, like someone else in here did. wouldn't it destroy a fish?

WreckDiver
01-19-2003, 07:04 AM
I heard they were illeagle here in florida

100days-a-year
01-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Fla waters are 3 miles out in the Atlantic and I believe 9 in the Gulf.Fla law does mention not possessing a fish harvested by explosive devices but I 've never seen or heard of it being enforced.

Sea_Dad
01-25-2003, 08:10 PM
If they do decide to enforce it, kiss your boat goodbye. Personally my boat is worth more than a powerhead.

dlock
01-25-2003, 10:59 PM
hmmmmm............does that sound WAAAAAY to ****ing familiar??????

Speargun
01-26-2003, 04:01 AM
Here's the link to the entire section.
http://www.floridaconservation.org/codebook/68b_4.pdf

Here's the important part:
68B-4.012 Diving: Powerheads and Rebreathers, Use to Harvest Fish in State Waters Prohibited; Definition; Spearfishing Marine Species in Fresh Water Prohibited.
(1) Powerheads -
(a) No person shall use any powerhead to harvest any fish in state waters. Powerheads may be possessed while diving in state waters for the purpose of personal protection.
(b) The possession of any fish that has been harvested with a powerhead, aboard a vessel fishing or at rest in state waters, shall constitute a violation of this subsection.
(c) The term "harvest" for purposes of this subsection means the catching or taking of a fish by killing or wounding it, followed by a reduction of such fish to possession.
(d) This subsection shall not be construed to effect the repeal of subsection (5) of Section 370.08, Florida Statutes.

Paragraph (b) aboard a vessel fishing or at rest in state waters, shall constitute a violation of this subsection
As long as you don't stop or fish in state waters, you're legal.

Another interesting link:
Florida Statute 370.08 Fishers and equipment; regulation.-- (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0370/SEC08.HTM&Title=->2002->Ch0370->Section%2008)

(5) THROWING EXPLOSIVES OR USE OF FIREARMS IN WATER FOR PURPOSE OF KILLING FOOD FISH PROHIBITED.--No person may throw or cause to be thrown, into any of the waters of this state, any dynamite, lime, other explosives or discharge any firearms whatsoever for the purpose of killing food fish therein. The landing ashore or possession on the water by any person of any food fish that has been damaged by explosives or the landing of headless jewfish or grouper, if the grouper is taken for commercial use, is prima facie evidence of violation of this section.

This is the Florida statute that can cause confusion.
The landing ashore or possession on the water by any person of any food fish that has been damaged by explosives.....
A powerhead isn't an explosive, so you're good there. Florida statute 790.001 (5) specifically excludes bullets and firearms from being explosives.

So if you don't use the powerhead in state waters and you don't stop or fish in state waters with a powerheaded fish in the boat, you're safe.

WreckDiver
01-26-2003, 04:32 AM
Man just take all the guesswork out of it!---- thanks. Where can i buy some?

johnhermes
01-26-2003, 06:21 AM
DLOCK

What could you possibly mean??? :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

Sea_Dad
01-26-2003, 06:34 AM
Speargun,

You are mis-reading it.

The a,b,c etc isn't there for you to pick and choose from. If you meet one of the criteria, you are considered breaking the statute. They are just showing the different ways you are considered breaking it.

I have no problem with banging a few fish. I dont do it, cause I dont think a fish is worth more than my boat. But like I said earlier, if they do decide to bust you, you can kiss the boat you are on goodbye (it doesnt have to be yours). They can also take the trailer, tow vehicle, and pretty much everything you have brought with you. You will be treated no differently than if you had a gillnet.

Steel Shootin'
01-26-2003, 06:51 AM
Actually, Sea_Dad, I think Speargun is reading it exactly right. Do not EVEN think of stopping on the way back from an offshore trip in state waters if you have powerheaded fish in your cooler. Doesn't matter that you blasted them in federal waters.

The regulation could not be more clear. He was not "picking and choosing..." :confused:

Screen Name
01-26-2003, 06:51 AM
You dont know what the hell you are talking about.

Dont stop and fish in state waters if you have powerheaded fish, period. He is not misreading the statute.

Sea_Dad
01-26-2003, 07:08 AM
Well whats the plan then?

Have the trailer in the water and ready to go, load the boat on it without stopping when you get back? It's in the port on the trailer and outa there... LOL now that would be a treat to see.

Like I said, you do not have to meet each and every one of the sub definitions to be considered in violation of the statute, all you have to meet is just one of them.

For the picking and choosing earlier. It wasnt a slant against him, all I was trying to say was, you must not be doing all of the sub's, not the other way around. You cant just pick one out and say, hey I wont be doing that one so the rest dont apply to me.

Charlestondivin
01-26-2003, 07:32 AM
OMG, Not a g-bag sighting on spearboard!!! What is this world coming to?

greyface
01-26-2003, 08:45 AM
His ****in' cousin. Some ****s should just stay "over there" with their nose buried in Eric's ass.:rolleyes: And that was sugar coated.:D

Reef Raider
01-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Sea -dad the stoping part is for stoping to do more fishing not to load the boat . What part of the Great state of Florida are you from ?? Here in the Gulf I would think they know you are not going to get a 50 lb AJ in state waters . Has anyone here heard of this being enforced? Has anyone ever lost the boat becouse they had a PH on board or PH fish ? Not that I know of thats for sure. Sea-Dad I think you should do a book called How to Win Friends and Influence People NOT!!

Sea_Mom
01-26-2003, 09:41 AM
now u boys be nice to muh sweety darlin he just tryin to make new frinds sinse his hemroyd surgury. it aint him fault he gotta walk like a 20 dolla hookur on orange blossum trail on a saturday nite. we told him he shouldna tried puttin that hot weels car up in there but after he done seen that Jackass movie he tried to prove to us all that he be right that it cain't be done. He be stubborn like dat. but anyway he didnt do nuttin to start no bickerin witch yall.

when it comes to a powerhead, i tink you better let these guys be the experts sweetie pie. i think u know more about blankcapgunheads tho. keep smilin my little dynamite package. come ofer here and give mumma some shugar.

greyface
01-26-2003, 10:05 AM
PLEEZE stop! My friggin' ribs hurt...I have to be able to yell for our Bucs later...Sea_Mom - Galdang if you don't look like the G-bag with a wig! Hmmmmmm......:eek:

Sea_Dad
01-26-2003, 10:53 AM
Man you boys must be really pent up. It was a troll, now tell me was it more fun that way, or do you really like newbies askin to kiss your ass? By the way, I still call em bangsticks.

Sea_Mom, hemroyds? With a mouth like that, it's all you'll get to kiss of me. :D

richhermes
01-26-2003, 10:58 AM
Well, I can you guys that Sea-Dad is not from Niceville. At least the computer he's using isn't. I knew once the seize your boat statement was made, Sea-Dad would get flamed.

Sea_Dad
01-26-2003, 11:29 AM
OK even for the slower apptitudes.

It was a troll. I am fully aware that bangin fish is OK. Not from niceville, right. LOL

Reef Raider
01-26-2003, 11:31 AM
Kissing my ass is not just for NEWBES like you grengo. I tell everyone to kiss my ass thats full of shit!Yes the "surface tension "is high what do ya'll think with the way the winds been blowing we have been out shooting cats but hey in your trailer park I bet you have lots of cats to use as targets. Let us know how many you can "stone " in a row . The 2 bit words wont make you a "SHOOTER" dumb ass.

WreckDiver
01-26-2003, 11:34 AM
jeez next time i'll just pick up the phone and ask someone!!!
but would still like to know where i can buy som PPD's

Reef Raider
01-26-2003, 11:36 AM
PM Spear One he'll get it to your LDS A.S.A.P. ...

Sea_Dad
01-26-2003, 11:38 AM
learn to speel reef raider.

two bit words LOL :D

greyface
01-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Sea_Dud, you've pissed me off before "over there", I just didn't reply. You step on toes over here, you get told about yer ass. Most are welcome here, Just TOE THE ****ING LINE!:cool:

Reef Raider
01-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Like thats got a ****ING thing to do with it RIGHT nice try
DUMB ASS

WreckDiver
01-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Think we need a poll for which new member to expell !!!

Screen Name
01-26-2003, 11:51 AM
Do a search on "powerhead". You will find tons of informational threads, including where you can get them.

If that doesnt work for you, PM me.

Sea_Dad
01-26-2003, 12:15 PM
LOL thanks guys.

I was told you would provide interesting posts, they were right. :D

Sea_Mom
01-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Gadammit Dad,

Quit your gaddamn tallywhackin around here...i told u to get yer ass up to the circle K and get me muh can of copenhagen. Deez peoples right her are a talkin about that saltwater fishin, not yer bill dance bass anglin. Leave theze fine folks alone daddy and git yer ass to the trailer park with my dip and my quart of schitz and git ready for some feet rubbin and sum corn filin'. Dont forget muh scratch offs dis time...

:D

PS If i finish this fifth before you come, and my yeest infection goes down a little, i'm a gunna ruin yur world fer u 2nite

Speargun
01-26-2003, 03:35 PM
Sea_Dad
What part did I mis-read?
The a,b,c etc isn't there for you to pick and choose from.
Actually, it is. You pick the statute that fits the violation. If you didn't violate (a) you look at (b), (c), etc...
If you harvest a fish in state waters with a PH, pick (a).
If you're in possession of PH'd fish & are fishing or at rest in state waters, pick (b). All others do not apply.
If you meet one of the criteria, you are considered breaking the statute.
There, you are correct. Meeting any one of the criteria constitutes a violation. BUT, what would be the violation IF you didn't PH the fish in state waters and didn't stop in state waters with a PH'd fish?
If you are just transporting a PH'd fish from federal waters to the ramp, there is no violation.

I've had a bit of experience reading statutes and can tell you, this one is pretty clear. If you don't believe me, or any of the other guys here sticking up for me, (Thanks guys!) print a copy of the statute and take it down to your State Attorney's office and see what they say. That's who would be doing the prosecuting if you were arrested, so they pretty much have the last word.

As you can see from the responses you got, it's best to have your facts in order before telling some one that they don't know what they're talking about.
That said, if you have verifiable documentation, such as I have presented, that proves me wrong, I will be happy to post a statement acknowleging my ignorance of the topic.

Jeff, STANDING BY.....

poorshot
01-26-2003, 03:44 PM
Speargun may not be a lawyer but I think he should be able to interpret the law. But just inin case i have adeer lease with a Lt. in Fish and Game so I'll ask him if he can clarify it.
Art

Reef Raider
01-26-2003, 04:15 PM
Might be better not to waste time on a bitch ass dumb **** troll that likes to do cross word puzzles while we are out shooting fish ( or cats).
Can I get a HHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM here?

greyface
01-26-2003, 04:17 PM
HHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM!!

Sea_Dad
01-26-2003, 07:26 PM
OK one last time. I know its legal to bang outside state waters. I was just rousing you guys. Gettin pumped up for the bowl LOL.

Sea_Mammery, all that sweet talk is starting to turn me on. Can I dip my biscuits in it?

Just so we are clear on this, my kid (just turned 14) is/will be the shooter in the family. I am the banger. Your group came highly recommended, but I had to know if you were a bunch of pussies or not. :D

dlock
01-26-2003, 07:28 PM
the only pussies around here are wearin' BLACK & SILVER!!!!!!

greyface
01-26-2003, 07:32 PM
The only pussy you'll find on this board is in the off topic forum, brought to us by our best Alabama slinger. Don't **** with him, either!:D

Reef Raider
01-26-2003, 07:35 PM
HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Did ya'll hear some whining.
The kid is more than welcome here get him on line so he can learn from some of the best "shooters" in this great state. Any kid that would rather catch fish than drugs is fine by me! But your still a DUMB ASS!

dothanfrogman
01-26-2003, 09:33 PM
Could not resist greyface I really think that this sea bag and sea douch are one in the same and I think that onw of our favorite forums has something todo with this but as of now this idiot is just trolling to get us rialed up. Kinda like a probe. I wish I did know who this ****er was so I could confront him like I did g-bag.

greyface
01-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Roger that, Doth.

dothanfrogman
01-27-2003, 07:33 AM
God the more I think about G-bag the more I hate him and as for seabag and seadouche well I think yall know how I feel.

Divin' fool
01-27-2003, 03:27 PM
Have to agree Dothan....:rolleyes:

Meat
01-27-2003, 04:00 PM
god damm who let sea dick over here

Divin' fool
01-27-2003, 04:22 PM
"Ward arn't you being a little hard on the Beaver tonight?":D

SeaDad..you arn't from Niceville are you?:rolleyes:

subdude
01-27-2003, 04:30 PM
ya'll don't start grouping all Niceville residents together.

subdude

Sea_Dad
01-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Now dont that feel better boys? You all had been just posting along building up pressure and not a vent in sight. It was obvious a little community service was in order.

Meat before you can rag on me you at least need more posts than me. :D

dothanfrogman
01-27-2003, 04:54 PM
No sub all people from niceville can be bad some are actually nice.

slipknot
01-27-2003, 04:56 PM
It sounds like sea-bag's, tea-bag is kinda small. You should stick with your pole spear.Or better yet, your underwater camera.It is legal to take pictures in state or federal waters without getting your boat confiscated.I think my new avatar was meant for you.

dothanfrogman
01-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Instead of looking at the avatat I will say it.....GO AWAY AND LEAVE US THE **** ALONE

Reef Raider
01-27-2003, 05:17 PM
I 2nd that .......**** OFF !! DUMB ASS !!

Steel Shootin'
01-27-2003, 05:38 PM
I think now that you guys have had the opportunity to fully express youselves, the thread has about run it's course. Besides, it looks like Sea_Dad will only keep posting to rile you guys up.