PDA

View Full Version : Gabbers and his first fish.

azspearo
08-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Spent the last two weeks on vacation in NorCal and one of the biggest highlights was when my 6yr old son Gabe took his first fish.
We were staying at MackerricherSP and he took this Rainbow Perch(Striped SeaPerch) with a spear I made for his older sister.
The spear is 5/8" tubing x 4' with fixed 1/4" shaft. I brought up a couple of prototypes for testing and everyone was more interested in my kids spears then my prototypes.
I'll post more later with pictures.

Proud Papa

msuzuki126
08-13-2009, 08:09 PM
:thumps: that's great

SnpperWhisperer
08-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Awesome Aaron, I can imagine how proud that must have made you!

azspearo
08-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Your right Reid, I still can't get the grin off my face. It was my 8yr old son Carl's second day back to school and the teacher had all the students introduce themselves and tell the class what their favorite thing to do was.
Carl told the class that he liked pole spearing the most and he explained to them how it was done and the fish he spears.
Here is another pic of the second day of diving. Nice stringers had by all and the fish in the pic are what me and my brother Matt and Adam speared in 3hrs of diving.
Matt got the biggest Ling but he doesn't have as an exciting as a story behind it.

My brother in-law Clint and I were working together( normally this can't be done too well with the typical low vis, but the week we were there we had vis up to 35' and a max swell of 2') spearing fish.

When we would shoot a fish we would leave the fish thrashing around on the bottom for a couple extra seconds to see if it would bring any Lings in.
After 2hours and around 10 fish later Clint popped a nice size Sea Trout and when he was bring it up this Ling came charging in and clamped down on the fishes head and I speared it.

Lo_B
08-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Sounds like a great time Aaron. There's nothing like getting out with the family. Those are the most rewarding trips. Congrats to Gabe getting started early!

Looks like a good haul by your crew too. Couple nice abs in there too huh.

isibrigade
08-14-2009, 09:21 AM
NICE Aaron:thumps: There's nothing quite like passing on the the things that make you tick to your kids.

Headed up to Nor CA tomorrow with the family. Can't wait.

Looks like you guys got by with 5mm. What was the H2O temp up there?

LunkerBuster
08-14-2009, 10:03 AM
you must be so proud Aaron...especially about the comment in class to his peers...you must still be beaming.

I also enjoy the catch pic....both other guys are trying to look tough for the camera...glad someone is happy about that big 'ol pile of fish..

thanks for sharing

mnguy
08-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Man, you're stoked for your kid I'm sure. Hell, I'm stoked ofr your kid, so lord knows you've got to be.

azspearo
08-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys. The water was great with temps in the low 50's at the surface and not too much colder at depth.
I wore my usual 3mm 1-pc suit and I never got cold and I was in the water up to 5hrs.

I only took 3 abs the whole trip( not much of an ab eater). My biggest ab was 9 3/4" , my 67yr old dad took 2 10" abs on one of his dives.

SnpperWhisperer
08-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Wow those abs are outrageous. Ours are a pitiful 5 inch legal size, but 99% of them around here are 4 inches. I can only dream of a 10 inch snail!

I've been leaving shells all around the garden so the kids get real used to spotting them - a skill I expect to be able to capitalise on in years to come...

LunkerBuster
08-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Wow those abs are outrageous. Ours are a pitiful 5 inch legal size, but 99% of them around here are 4 inches. I can only dream of a 10 inch snail!

I've been leaving shells all around the garden so the kids get real used to spotting them - a skill I expect to be able to capitalise on in years to come...

that is genius Reid....very clever

classtimesailer
08-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Aaron,
Cutest picture of your boy. Of course you got some pics of your dad, you, and Gabe? Gabe's fish is huge.
Jeff

Sonny
08-16-2009, 03:33 PM
For all you guys and gals out there with kids, imagine how I feel as a dad with sons and grandkids that like to do what I do......dive for big abs and shoot and eat fish. No wonder I'm a little overweight. When your my age (67) it's ok though.

Aaron's company, Crist Spears, were used to shoot all those fish.

Sonny California Proud Papa and Grandpa

OceanEd
08-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Aaron:

Great picture of your son!

We are having water temperature problems back here at the moment, it's around 85 degrees on the bottom, too warm.

a.s.alvarez
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Arron, great pic of your son. Congrats, sound like a great vacation.