PDA

View Full Version : great event,, however take a vote about changes next year...

Capt. Jay
05-27-2004, 05:41 AM
We had a great time on this event, and the prize table was very nice.. I won my first B.C. and had a blast, but there was one big problem... I talked to lots of people at the event about this problem and all did agree... THE MUSIC WAS WAY TOO LOUD!!! and everyone agreed to not have a loud band next year at the event.. most everyone there wants to talk about the spearfishing experience they just had and talk about general diving, but when your ears are being blasted out because some scretching music it made it hard to even think about diving..One of my dive partners had a headache and it added to it big time.. does everyone agree to leave the band at home??? other then that the event went off beautiful, and I met more divers and talked to tons of people enjoying the event!!! Cant wait til next year, but if the band is coming again I will bring EAR PLUGS!!!

ROCK BOTTOM
05-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Cap,

I seem to have missed the band, I was taking a nap in my truck. But, I absolutely agree about the band diminishing the dive-speak that every one was enjoying. Don't worry, next year we will probably have a DJ who can control the pace of the event much better.

Zz

Old Bateman
05-27-2004, 07:45 AM
Ditto on the band.

How about a big screen with spearfishing slideshow and videos?My daughter's soccer team ran a slideshow during their banquet and it was a big hit!

Spear One
05-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Great idea Old Bateman!

jfg
05-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Hey, I wasen't there, but Old Bateman came up with a beauty. I'm gonna try to be there next year, I say spearfishing movies and slides, great idea.

OceanEd
05-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Capt. Jay:

I couldn't agree more. We had to leave the pavilion just to be able to talk to each other. Maybe Scott could get Perry Como or Barry Manilow to show up, wearing shrimp boots and singing their greatest hits?

Spearchucker
05-27-2004, 08:51 AM
in a banana hammock?

Freedivers, can you guys spearhead this and set it up?? :)

Steel Shootin'
05-27-2004, 09:10 AM
Capt. Jay, I said right after the event that there would be no band next year. You can be certain of that.

f94gator
05-27-2004, 03:37 PM
I gotta give the band SOME props. I thought they were pretty good, just too loud for the setting.

richhermes
05-27-2004, 07:11 PM
I think Old Bateman just volunteered to set up a slideshow at next year's SBO. (Taking notes, Scott?:D)

Send all your photos to Old Bateman.

Steel Shootin'
05-27-2004, 07:22 PM
I had wanted to do the slideshow this year. Would have been fairly easy to do, but didn't have the time.

Got some ideas about this, and I think it is a good idea.

Spearchucker
05-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Well, you don't need the time now Scott. Old Bateman has volunteered!! ;)

Denny
05-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Scott- Welcome to the top of the mountain. Thanks for the band. It was a hell of an idea and a damn nice thing for you to do to attempt to provide entertainment.
A simple 'lose the band' comment should be sufficient from the masses.
You rock, Scott. You have my full support for next year's SBO.
You should limit the changes to a few simple ones.
Different entertainment (maybe some jacks or twister games for those who need amusement :D), a little extra beverage, a second weigh in line and, well, that's about it. WAY TO GO!
And on the beverage thing- thanks for all that you had. It is more than the other tourneys provide. (Jello shooters notwithstanding). To the thirsty- What? No back up?
Again- the SBO was a "10" in my book.

Red Tide
05-27-2004, 07:35 PM
I am sure that we can all come up with some great spearfishing videos for next year. If you guys get bored with the guys in tight speedos shooting fish, we can always get some footage of giant sea turtles humping fat guys with scuba tanks, while trying to complete deco. Now that would be funny.

Denny
05-27-2004, 08:45 PM
How about the fat guys giving it back to those sea creatures?
LMAO

LASeaCat
05-27-2004, 10:02 PM
That was a band?

Slay Ride
05-28-2004, 08:05 AM
Stop calling me fat!!!! I'm vertically and horizontally challenged damnit!!

ROCK BOTTOM
05-28-2004, 08:09 AM
Les,

Vertically challenged and Horizontally gifted. But plush sound better.

Zz

Dive4Blood
05-28-2004, 08:23 AM
The band is too loud? You guys sound like some high-pants wearing codgers complaining about those "damn kids today" :D. I'm thirty seven freaking years old, and was in the middle of the mosh-pit at the Livestock concert festival a few ago so the band, if anything was a little too reserved for my taste. Give Scott some credit for trying something different, and stop your whining just because no one was able to hear you tell the epic tale of shooting that 14" hogfish over the Rolling Stones cover song.

Next year's musical lineup: Megadeth, Engelbert Humperdink, 50 Cent, Whitesnake, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Captain Beefheart, and Ricky Martin for the bi-curious freediver crowd.

AJ Suarez

richhermes
05-28-2004, 12:02 PM
You forgot about "Air Supply", D4B. We spoke to their agent and they can be had for $3.28.
It's amazing what old 80's bands will play for these days!

Sheri
05-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Slay Ride

Yeah, quit calling him fat! Les is not fat. I said, "large". Turtles like large....not fat! Les has a large and solid frame, very desirable, and just perfect for turtle loooove. Les, if I was a turtle, I would be chasing you too.

HDrider
05-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Slay Ride

I have the same situation and always thought if I were just a half inch taller I would be round :D