PDA

View Full Version : Trying to change the subject.....

Sheri
05-27-2004, 01:33 PM
So where are all the cool fish stories? I'm curious....what were some of the strategies? Did they work? What would you do differently next year...lessons learned? Did you see anything interesting? Any special fish that got away? I'd like to hear more from people who are new to the sport too.

Anybody else get mauled by a trigger? I forgot how those cute little ba$%*ds bite! The first one I speared latched on to my finger and would not let go for two minutes. He bit through my glove, through the skin, and was clamping down on my knuckle! If I pulled on him, he just bit down even harder. It ain't easy being a spearfisher sometimes....:rolleyes:

Scott, if it's not too much trouble, do you have the statistics on how many women and juniors competed? And would it be too much trouble to name the top few boats? Scott......once again, thank you!

Denny
05-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Didja want to hear about the jack that mr jewfish ate?
Big mofo, at least 50#er, slighlty crippled AJ, shot on the drop at about 60 feet. Didn't get full penetration with my shaft (yeah,yeah, screw ya all) so I tried to follow the big boy down. Jack kicked the shaft at about 100 feet and continued down past the side of the wreck, looking like he was severly disabled, when mr. jewfish poppedc his head out, grabbed Jack and pulled him into the wreck. Cool visual, but what a bummer. So, it seemed, when the rest of the day.

RichT
05-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Sheri,
GREAT suggestion changing the subject.
I too am curious about the things you mentioned and a list of how individual boats did would be pretty cool.

Slay Ride
05-27-2004, 02:02 PM
I had a turtle try and mate with. No really he wanted me. Had a grouper on the bottom and he tried to "mount" me. I now can say that at least something finds me attractive. He even stuck his flipper through my reg hose and left me with no air for a moment. A few swift beatings to his head with the butt of my speargun made him think twice about making me his girlfriend. Reported to the DNR and they just thought it was funny. Oh well. SBO was definitely interesting. Les

Charlestondivin
05-27-2004, 02:05 PM
You came up with a BIG smile on your face from that dive.. Sicko!

Sheri
05-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Les....yeah, yeah, I know about the turtles. I have a certain buddy, (I'm sure he wants to remain nameless), and the turtles ALWAYS attack him. He's very embarassed by it. I try not to laugh, but....it's amazing how they are drawn to him. Better him than me!

Awww, Denny, that sucks. I know how you feel though. It reminds me of the big cobia that was swallowed whole by the hammerhead. Amazing to watch, but you hate to lose a fish to another predator. I guess it reminds you that it's all one huge food chain under there.

Bottom line, I think we are blessed just to see the things we see down there sometimes.

Spearooo
05-27-2004, 02:12 PM
I got my first ARS....and also saw a huge turtle and about 5 jewfish..and got introduced to the gumbo.... My pics are on film but ill scan them soon....

Marcus
05-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Shot my first yellow mouth grouper... or was it a scamp? Don't know yet. I've got photographs coming. He was 27".

usodimare
05-27-2004, 02:15 PM
I brought my friend Giuseppe, freediver, from Italy, and he kept asking about sharks and how dangerous they get, and everybody aboard just told him not to worry, there is just a small chance to see some of them and just relax and go fishing....
First dive Giuseppe makes at the middlegrounds he is surrounded by 20/25 sharks biting his fins!
I do not know how to translate exactly what Giuseppe told me and the others in Italian...Porc%°§!!!

gumshoe
05-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Slay Ride
I had a turtle try and mate with. No really he wanted me. Had a grouper on the bottom and he tried to "mount" me. I now can say that at least something finds me attractive. He even stuck his flipper through my reg hose and left me with no air for a moment. A few swift beatings to his head with the butt of my speargun made him think twice about making me his girlfriend. Reported to the DNR and they just thought it was funny. Oh well. SBO was definitely interesting. Les

What were you wearing?

BluewaterRocket
05-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Had a nice tango with a 38 lb AJ - my 2nd ever. Took me for a roller coaster ride I will not forget. I never did get my stringer through him, and when I surfaced holding him with the spear in one hand, and the eye-sockets with the other, I let out a big "heeeyy" to get the boat driver's attention. The driver is not a diver and panicked when he saw me and my green AJ slappin' the surface - he though I was getting attacked by a shark. It was pretty funny watching him run around the boat not knowing what to do next.

My shaft was pretty bent up and the rest of the day consisted of shooting sheepies at about a 2 ft range.

All-in-all a fantastic day in and on the water. Even picked up a couple mahi on the ride in.

Slay Ride
05-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Here was my outfit. Did take the time out of SBO to grab a few lobsters, couldn't pass them up. Buffalo Lobster Nuggets!!! Les

BluewaterRocket
05-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Les - Is there a closed season on bugs in SC?

gumshoe
05-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Dammit, that is what I was afraid of, those are the same colors that I wear. I was hoping you were wearing something slutty that lured the "big fella" in to you...

ps. nice lobster.

Slay Ride
05-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by BluewaterRocket
Les - Is there a closed season on bugs in SC?

No. 2 bugs per day per person all year long. No berries obviously. Going again Saturday. Found a nice ledge loaded with lobs.

Les

ROCK BOTTOM
05-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Les,

We must be twins. Damn seaturtle tried to mount me in Panama City two years ago. He really had a twinkle in his eye, I wanted to give him little x's on his eyes.

Zz

Charlestondivin
05-27-2004, 03:20 PM
How many times is that that you have been violated by turtles les? We kid him about putting a fake female turtle head over his tank valve looking back and winking.

junior
05-27-2004, 03:23 PM
We went out to the grounds for the second time on a small charter boat and did several drops in the 100 foot range. I tagged a nice 15 pound hog that looked like a painting that was hung above the reef:cool: That thing looked absolutely unreal underwater. He shook the shaft but took off looking like one of the blue angels with a fat stream of green blood trailing behind him. I chased him down as he came to rest in a small hole and finished him off.

My wife shot in this tournament with me and she has pretty much been the snapper/hogfish killer up until this point. First drop, she is off to my right and when I hit the bottom I immediately pop a nice hog. I strung him up and then looked around to find her and found her stringin a 23" red grouper that she had stoned before ever getting to the bottom. That was cool, her biggest fish yet.

On the last drop, we drifted along a massive ledge with boulders the size of houses sitting in the sand off the ledge in 130 feet. The dive was almost over and we just started getting into some fish when I see a school of AJ's roll up. I pick one off and drive his head into the rocks to get him under control. While fighting him I look around to see if my wife has got my back and I was like "HELL NO", she done went and shot an AJ bigger than mine and was busy stringin' his ass up sitting in the sand at a buck-thirty:D She has officially caught the bug:cool:

Sheri
05-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Some of you guys just exude irresistible turtle pheremones. Do you have the same effect on women? I have the feeling it has more to do with the shape of your body than anything else. I'm not saying you're fat, but the guys I know that attract turtles all have a very similar shape (large and not skinny).

Junior, that's great about your wife. Good for her! Was she competing? I only knew about Ruth and Nikki in the tournament, both very fine hunters. Would be great to see more women and juniors. I'm not suggesting it for this tournament, but Nationals is having a co-ed team division for the first time this year. It might be fun to have a co-ed and parent/child division in one of the tournaments someday. But never mind...less talk on rules and more on fish stories, please.

junior
05-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Yep, she competed. She scored 19.8 points and was super proud of her fish:D She got her first gun less than a year ago and is progressing nicely. A co-ed division would be cool.

Nikki
05-27-2004, 05:01 PM
I learned how AJs can knock your mask off your face if you don't spear them well enough...first three AJs I've taken were docile (not stoned yet, but gill shot well) and this one...well, he was a reel reef donkey - lol! :D

Nothing else of note from the tourney, though we did kick up the Jolly Rogers II beverages a notch going up from Blue Nun wine to Korbel champagne....:D

Once a turtle was checking out my husband, Tommy, while he was head-deep after a bug under a ledge. Had to tell him afterwards how close he was to getting up-close-and-personal with one....he had NO idea!

Junior - Congrats to your wife! It does sound like she has gotten caught up in the fun of spearfishing. Can't wait to meet her at the St. Pete Open! She'll wanna enter that one, right?

ROCK BOTTOM
05-27-2004, 05:05 PM
"large and not skinny"

Sheri, can I put that on my head stone? He was "large and not skinny." Ouch. I prefer to call my particular body style "plush, like a Cadillac."

Mentioning the female spearo, I was telling you the other day that my wife is just learning to speardive and every time she sees your picture, she is filled with the desire to shoot a fish just like the one you are holding. I held her hand through her first attempt at spearfishing and saw her beam with pride over her first kill - a triggerfish. I also saw the disappointment in her face on her second attempt at spearfishing when all she killed was a triggerfish. Well, third time lucky. Her third trip out I watched with anticipation as she made her first shot of the morning. Six inches too short. She then reloaded the gun and while I harvest a nice Almaco, she shot a 30# Amberjack. I was sitting on a pipe with my legs wrapped around it, about 100' down and about three feet from my wife. She was bent over the cross beam holding onto her gun for all she was worth. Apparently you can't hurt an AJ by shooting it high through the shoulder. She was so focused and so intent on getting that fish, it was awsome. I hadn't seen my wife smile like that in five years after we got to the boat and she saw her fish was bigger than mine.

She had the day planner out and was making plans for her next dive trip before we even got back to New Orleans. She even asked me to bump one of my buddies so she could hunt the Hell Divers Rodeo. I am sure she is going to have a great time.

Thanks for the inspiration for my wife, Sheri. Good luck and safe diving.

Steve

junior
05-27-2004, 05:09 PM
We'll both be there for the St. Pete open this year. Looking forward to it! See ya there. Although, she may be pregnant by then (hopefully) and will have to put off the diving for a while.

Red Tide
05-27-2004, 05:58 PM
Anybody like to buy an Oceanic Nitrox Computer?
I found out that I can actually hold my breath longer that this computers repetitive dive table allows.
Other than that I had a great day diving with Paul Renner and Bing Gwong. We laughed from sun up to sunset and shot some nice fish along the way.

Sheri
05-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Usodimare, did Giuseppe freedive the Middlegrounds, or is he a scuba diver too? Was it his first time over here? What did he think....besides the sharks? Did he go back to Italy already?

Junior and Rock Bottom, that is just great about your wives. You'll have a lot of fun together. And if I inspire any woman to try it....well, that is just an honor. I owe my inspiration to some very special guys who did not mind teaching me or having a woman on the boat. And it doesn't hurt that I like to fillet fish, I guess.

ROCK BOTTOM
05-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Fillet fish, yes, good.

Guys, believe it. A woman on the boat is good! Once they learn how they are usually better at fishing and diving than most guys. And I know that there will be at least one weak link on the boat that should be replaced by a girl in a bikini.

Zz

LASeaCat
05-27-2004, 10:01 PM
By the way these conversations are going... I would suggest if you folks come down for the HD rodeo, you have better steer clear of Bourbon Street! You may start liking those turtles!!! And definitely don't wear those black condoms!! (as pictured!)

diligaf
05-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Sheri
Some of you guys just exude irresistible turtle pheremones. Do you have the same effect on women? I have the feeling it has more to do with the shape of your body than anything else. I'm not saying you're fat, but the guys I know that attract turtles all have a very similar shape (large and not skinny).

Sheri… that shape would be known as masculine.;)

Denny
05-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by usodimare
I brought my friend Giuseppe, freediver, from Italy, and he kept asking about sharks and how dangerous they get,
....First dive Giuseppe makes at the middlegrounds he is surrounded by 20/25 sharks biting his fins!
I do not know how to translate exactly what Giuseppe told me and the others in Italian...Porc%°§!!!
The sharks were obviously fans of Italian food.....

usodimare
05-28-2004, 07:24 AM
Giuseppe Tortorella has not been using tanks since 1988, he dove the middlegrounds holding his breath and shot fish at 115ft.
It was his first time in the US.
We are both back in Italy, Giuseppe liked it a lot, he wants to come back next year and organize things better with his sponsor, effesub, it could be interesting for them to open to US market.

And, while Floridians seem to be nice to turtles, we Italians must look as exotic food to sharks. Next time I'll use peanut butter on our wetsuit, it should make them puke after first bite..

girliegills
05-28-2004, 07:46 AM
Sheri, I would have to 2nd that you provide great inspiration to female spearos and I might add great competition. You kicked my tail in the tournament, I had only 60 points. But I had a great time and I always enjoy the camaraderie that these tournaments provide with fellow spearos. I hope we have more females join us in the future and discover what a great sport spearing really is. Now, all I have to do is try and figure out how to double my points next time so that I have a shot at that female award. Are you diving the Southern Open?

Sheri
05-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Girliegills....60 pounds of fish is pretty darn respectable! You go, girl.

Even if someone shot 5 pounds of fish, you can't be too judgemental. I respect someone if they are a beginner, didn't have access to a good boat, don't know good spots in that area, and gave it their best shot anyway. Even if you do have all those factors in your favor, there is a chance the fish won't be there. That's what makes spearfishing very interesting. It's a combination of skill and planning, but you cannot take luck out of the equation either.

I'm thoroughly impressed by Giuseppe. Freediving the Middlegrounds....that takes skill. Usodimare, did you dive also? How did you guys hear about this tournament? Did you know someone with a boat to take you to spots? Did you know it was mainly a scuba tournament? As you know, I was trying to talk to Giuseppe, but he was speaking Italian, and I was answering in Spanish, and the music was so loud. Thanks for translating later. I still didn't understand....is effesub a manufacturer, distributor, sponsor? I know Italians make some wonderful products, especially fins, wetsuits. It was great to meet you and hope you had a good time. The sharks were just trying to make you feel welcome....they were friendly sharks. :D

I'm not doing the Southern Open, but looking forward to St. Pete Open!

ROCK BOTTOM
05-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Sheri,

Are you diving the HDR? My wife is curious about the competition.

Stevie Zz

usodimare
05-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi Sheri.
What Giuseppe did is quite usual in Italian/International Spearfishing competitions, where tanks are not allowed. Giuseppe told me there are people shooting fish below 150 feet!
He is not such a "phisycal power" diver, he is very technical and won a lot of tournaments because he thinks like a fish, and knows how to get them in shallow waters too. He was on Terry Maas old version of Blue Water with his Tuna record (125Kg).
I dove as well but I preferred to use tanks, because I am not trained at all.
We were on Tally Ho, together with the owner Charlie, his friend Les plus the captain Tom, professional Fisherman that knows a lot of spots.
Unfortunately put together freedivers and Scuba divers did not allow Giuseppe to give his best. He managed to convince the Captain to bring him on the spots right for him only at noon, when he really started to bring up fish one after the other.
Effesub is a manufacturer and importer of Diving gear, both scuba and freediveing. Giuseppe designes spearguns, fins and wetsuits for them, plus manages its spearfishing team.
You can log on their website www.effesub.com and see what they do.
I visit Tampa very often and I heard about the tournament from a good friend, Fishboy.
I know the sharks are friendly, they just want to have a meal with you...

Sheri
05-28-2004, 01:52 PM
I have seen videos and heard enough about spearfishing in Europe to know that it's normal to freedive to 130 feet. Then you have to lay on the bottom for awhile, real quiet, because you have few and spooky fish over there. For those that don't know, when you're freediving, the fish will actually come look at you if you can lay still for awhile.....curious critters.

Giuseppe did great, especially for not having ideal conditions. You usually need a dedicated boat to be doing that, someone willing to follow you around, protect your head from getting run over, taking fish from you, etc. I imagine he also had to learn the new fish species, their behavior, etc. What do you guys think of our fish? Pretty stupid? It's not that way everywhere in Florida though. The fish where I live (southeast coast) are smarter and less abundant. We seem to have more bullsharks....and they like to eat Italian too. :D For some reason, we see them more when freediving. Maybe the bubbles keep them away sometimes. Anyway, you guys are welcome to come diving here if it works out during your next trip.

I am not doing the HDR, but it sounds like a blast. Maybe someone can fit me on a boat next year?!?