PDA

View Full Version : Mukilteo

mepps1
08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
After making a few attempts to hook up with some local spearos, I went solo to Mukilteo. Friday vis was 10-20 feet and temp 56. Got a limit of red rock crabs and one dungeness. I didn't take a spear in the water because I wanted to have a chance to ID fish before the temptation hit to "shoot first, ask questions later".;) There were tons of red rock crabs and a few dungeness, but the dungeness were mostly undersized.

For whatever reason, it seems like spearing is the "sport which must not be named" on the Sound. I have no doubt that a crack fiend could score a hit quicker on any city block than I could find spearfishers in the whole region.:rolleyes:

This was my first dive on the left side of the continent. I enjoyed the diving tremendously and saw a lot of stuff I hadn't come across before. Huge starfish (12-18"), Ling cod, eel, rockfish, greenling, and a lot of others I haven't ID'ed yet.

I went out again Saturday morning. Vis was a lot worse, but still OK at about 10'. I had planned to bring my pole spear, as I'd spotted some tasty looking fish that weren't on Washington's extensive list of no-no's for spearos. But there were atleast two classes going on and not less than 20-30 divers coming ang going, so I chickened out. I didn't want to offend the natives, and it worried me that if I screwed up and killed the wrong fish that I would certainly be reported. I probably need not have worried, as everybody was pretty fixed on their own gear and buddies. Also I stuffed all my crabs in a lift bag (it worked great) and I could have done the same thing with the fish. I'm not sure anybody even knew I came home with groceries.:D In fact I might start using the lift bag instead of a stringer when I'm on SCUBA. Took two reds and two dungeness. I was a lot more selective about the rock crabs after I ate a couple of smaller (legal) ones. Way too much work for small morsels. I came across one "trophy" size red that beat me fair and square. I couldn't get him and all my fingers out of the concret he was holed up in. Next time I'll bag him a piece at a time, if I have to.

I only dove to about 55' because I only had one tank for each day, and because I had to drive home over the passes Saturday night. From the looks of their rigs, I think most of the locals were diving a lot deeper. Maybe that's where all the dungeness are.

I think I'll try to get out on the island some when I get back and possibly beat the crowd.

Drove all night and most of the day to get home, and now I have to get ready for work in the morning.:(

Vacation sucks that way.

Devildiver
08-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Great story, and thanks for posting. We need more stories coming out of the North West

flyingfishr
08-25-2009, 01:23 AM
great report, I know what you mean about spearfishing taboo. I'm up in Oak Harbor and haven't heard much talk of shooting since I've been here. I'm looking foward to getting something on the stringer...or liftbag in the near future. If you ever need a buddy, drop me a pm and I'll see what I can do.

jymz
08-25-2009, 10:45 AM
If you guys ever feel like crossing the border, I have a cabin in Secelt we can fish at. I only know 4 spearo's in Vancouver area. Its quite frowned upon by the local scuba squids.

Sechelt has a 300 foot submarine sunk in shallow water. Lots of fishys!

VicT
08-25-2009, 10:55 AM
How much does a Canadian fishing license cost? :D

VicT