PDA

View Full Version : Bonnie Bay and Gray Island, BC (near Vancouver) Sept 16 report

jymz
09-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Mike F had one of the highjackers go on his thundercat and my stator is in the middle of me wiring it so we were shorediving again.

Went out to low tide at Bonnie Bay http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=49.361974,-123.282652&spn=0.004605,0.008465&t=h&z=17
Parked on the end of the road. Has a toilet with pressure water flush, super clean. You can change in there as well. The walk down to the beach is pretty decent, was worse on the way back. Vis was the shits at 1-2M bay drops off to 20M+ we worked the north wall seeing a few small lings and not much else. Back up this hill and into the car in our camo suits to Gray Island! Hahah

Gray island http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=49.317276,-122.943245&spn=0.002304,0.004233&t=h&z=18has three parking spots and a nice ramp and dock leading to the beach It was still low tide and the bay itself is no more than 5M deep. Vis was much better at 4M. No fish again but motherload of crabs. I had my catch limit in 30 minutes of flippin around. We did an anti-clockwise around the island against the incomming current and then float around the back. Many red rock crab in the shallows with dungeoness crabs in the deeper areas around 10-20M on the outside of the island.

I would go back if I ever really needed to score crab for sure. It's a no brainer. I wish for a fish this week :D

Devildiver
09-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Cool report! I like seeing all of these post's in the PNW section...Now we just need to get you a fish and a camera:beer:

jymz
09-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I have a camera! Hahaha just never bother because no fish! I'll update my cabin trip thread with pics and I will shoot all the sites I dive. Most have pics on shorediving.com

Thanks, good to hear someone reads them.

Devildiver
09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Are you kidding me? I crave more posts about PNW spearing! Anytime you want to come down to Oregon, I'll put you on fish - guaranteed!

Ron S
09-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks, good to hear someone reads them.

Are you kidding me? I look at the PNW as NorCal on steroids, or more like what NorCal probably was 50 years ago as far as fish. I'm getting the wife primed for a major family vacation up that way in a year or two for the spearing and kayaking. Incredible area.

You PNW folks, please, post as often as you can and include photos for us southerners!:thumps:

Many thanks,
Ron.