PDA

View Full Version : Last day of Ling Cod Vancouver Island PB

beaver
09-30-2009, 08:27 PM
So I pooched work in favor of the last day of our ling opening. 50 ft of vis, water a cool 48 f.

Posting a few too many photos but it is my personal best at 54#

Had the biggest head I have ever seen on a ling and not too much in its belly.
taken with my omer airbalete 90 at 10 ft and the shaft didnt even slow down going through that enormous melon.

mmmm wonder what work would have been like today.

ok wipping smile off face and heating up the deep frier for fish and chips.

Kirby
09-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Congratulations Walter! That is an impressive catch. Lingosaurus Rex for sure and probably twice as big as any I'll ever see down here in Humboldt. I love your north north coast threads. When you get a chance could you take a picture or two of the coastline that you dive. I'd love to see how rugged and cold it looks up there. And if you have an underwater camera....I'd love to see some shots from there too.

Thanks and Congrats!

jymz
09-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Is that a world record Walt? I was going to zap out to the Galiano's today to try and get one before close. Hoping they will keep 20-5 open longer so I can get one this year. Great fish, how did ya cook it up?

Ron S
10-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Holy crap! I'd say you probably saved a life by shooting that thing. Only a matter of time before it swallowed a diver whole!
Oh, and I second the request for some photos of your coastline up there!
Congrats,
Ron.

seawolf
10-01-2009, 02:17 AM
My friend, that right there is a 21st Century IUSA record! Check this out:http://www.iusarecords.com/display_record.php?id=76 Did you take any pictures of the digital scale weight or use a tape measure for the girth and length? Nice fish, regardless.

beaver
10-01-2009, 11:28 AM
thanks for the positive replies

just used the dock scale and besides I am in Canada not sure if record applies + never really been interested in records for some reason.

I will post some pictures of our coast later today

as for cooking my wife makes an amazing beer batter and we have a semi traditional fish and chip meal with home made tartar sauce and parsnip and yam fries.

I ate too much! + my buddies decided Rum and Coke mid week wasn't such a bad idea so I have a bit of a thumper this morning

jymz
10-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Walt grab that record for the small number of us guys in Canada who are trying to get them! Lingcod was my mission this year and I couldn't keep my boat running, my girlfriend happy enough, and the tides and weather long enough to even get out there! If there are no more openings I have to wait for next year. I now have to grab my backup world record fish, a 40lb sucker in Stave Lake.

Let me know if you are interested in heading to Sechelt. Going next weekend for 2-3 weeks. Drop by anytime.

Tino Bernazzani
10-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Now that is a lingcod worthy of the world record.
Extraordinary nice lingosaurous.
Thanks for sharing.

Bulit7
10-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Wow! My biggest was 22# out of Sonoma. That is huge!!

Poseidum
10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
What a pig.:thumps:

njspearo
10-01-2009, 12:27 PM
very dope lingcod man, congrats.
would have a been one hell of a record

beaver
10-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the positive replies and the many questions,
Here is the story of that beauty, now that i have time to type it.

Next time, and there will be a next I will get the proper photos and documentation because I know there are some bigger ones out there waiting

That ling was in 30 feet of water but full camo in a huge kelp bed. I had done one tank surveying my favorite reef and had seen close to 30 ling cod of 10-30 # but really wanted a big one as it was last day of ling season.

Did some free diving as the tide was backed off but mostly to play with the fish. Strapped on a second tank and was going to try to find one of the bigger one I had seen on my first jump.

I spotted a nice 30 + and gave chase as it bolted off the bottom when I got close. It hit a kelp bed and I got fully caught up and as I was getting free my eyes spotted a large tail. I stopped breathing and threaded the kelp parallel to the body and saw the outline of the largest head I had ever seen. I eased the gun between the Kelp took my shot and hit 1 inch behind the eye. The fish bolted and left me tangled in a ton of kelp. Took about 3 minutes to get free and find open water and as soon as that happened the fish found it could now move again so off for a short ride and I hand bombed my mono in I grabbed the shaft and tried to subdue the fish.

Best part is my buddy got the 35 that I was chasing he saw me go after it and lose it so thought he had snaked me for the large fish of the day. He pooped his pants when I brought that up to the boat.

PS Walter is who the quote is attributed to, I am beaver. AKA Robbie

beaver
10-03-2009, 04:51 PM
as requested photos of the BC coast where I have been diving. enjoy and most of these spots are very remote so a boat is required but well worth the trip and untouched for fishing.

beaver
10-03-2009, 04:52 PM
more

beaver
10-03-2009, 04:53 PM
last set

chowderpuff
10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Incredible. What is the season, daily bag limit for lingcod up there?

Ron S
10-06-2009, 11:47 PM
What incredible country, and your photography skills are outstanding! Thanks for sharing and I hope you keep it up!
Ron.

Kirby
10-07-2009, 12:00 AM
as requested photos of the BC coast where I have been diving. enjoy and most of these spots are very remote so a boat is required but well worth the trip and untouched for fishing.

Those photos are AMAZING!!! Thank you very much for taking the time to post pictures. I could never have imagined how beautiful it is up there. Take more photos!!!!

JPierce
10-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks for posting those pics, truly beautiful!!!! Congrats on the ling as well---I hope to make it up that way next year, although the 7mm may not be enough!

pablo
10-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Amazing fish! Beautiful photos! If that was taken while freediving you definitely should submit for a record. Congrats!

njspearo
10-09-2009, 03:42 PM
great pics bud! I would love to see what it looks like under the water

KillerKanuck
10-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Man I miss the homeland... Great catch!